Official T E N E T Thread

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, this didn't do much for me. Had its moments but mostly left me cold. I went into it understanding I'd be a little confused cuz it's Nolan doing time travel but the whole reverse shot thing just quickly became gimmicky, stale and tiresome. It's a problem when you have the best action scene in an early part of the movie (JDW fukking up the goons in the restaurant kitchen - he might not have all his pop's charisma, but I could see him being a straight up killer in action movies) but then neuter all the other other action with this reverse shyt. Maybe the reverse time stuff works conceptually for the plot, but it just doesn't work well in action because it makes nothing feel fluid or connected.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
To be blaringly loud with explosions & music with not that memorable of a story to go along with it :francis:

The reason I loved Interstellar is because the emotional story & great acting. I could not get investigated in Tenet & Dunkirk because the story & emotion were lacking.
I read an article yesterday that said Leo in Inception really pushed Nolan to focus more on the characters, and despite all the exposition we got, that it originally was much worse. I think Leo even might've overacted a bit in places in order to try to bring some more soul and character into he film. There's a lot of exposition in it, but I still like that one.

I think Interstellar is dope too because of M.M. The scene where he's watching the videos of his kids still chokes me up anytime I watch it, and I think he's another example of an actor that was able to tap into emotion and show it on screen that went beyond what was in the script.

Tenet was visually stunning, but I felt no real connection to any of the characters. The mother (I literally forgot her name already) was the only one with any motivation that I understood. She wanted to protect her son, and that resonated with me. The Protagonist/JD Washington was great, but too often I thought he seemed too cool and calm given the situation, and too often reacted in ordinary ways to extraordinary events. But I'm starting to expect this from Nolan. There's just not much soul in Nolan's movies, despite them being technical marvels that I enjoy watching.

Side note on Interstellar. One of my biggest gripes is that there are emotional moments in that movie that Nolan undercuts by inserting expository dialogue when it's not necessary. The scene in the black hole in the main example. As the audience, we know what we're watching, and we get it. M.M. does a great job (Ince he falls into the tesseract) of showing fear, confusion, pain, sadness, and then determination to help his daughter. These things were all obvious, but Nolan felt the need to have M.M's character discuss out loud what was going on with the robot character, and the exposition pulled me right out of what would've been a more powerful moment without the dialogue.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Yeah, this didn't do much for me. Had its moments but mostly left me cold. I went into it understanding I'd be a little confused cuz it's Nolan doing time travel but the whole reverse shot thing just quickly became gimmicky, stale and tiresome. It's a problem when you have the best action scene in an early part of the movie (JDW fukking up the goons in the restaurant kitchen - he might not have all his pop's charisma, but I could see him being a straight up killer in action movies) but then neuter all the other other action with this reverse shyt. Maybe the reverse time stuff works conceptually for the plot, but it just doesn't work well in action because it makes nothing feel fluid or connected.
Another problem is that the first scientist tells him not to overthink it, but to "feel it." And I assumed Nolan was trying to tell that to the audience. But then Nolan contradicts himself by trying to explain everything at every turn. I watched a couple of videos on the Tenet time inversion stuff after the movie, and I understand it much better now. The irony is that if Nolan had done less exposition and explaining during the film, and let me "feel it" I think I would've understood it better during the first watch. By constantly feeling the need to explain everything, he had my brain working overtime to try to figure everything out and analyze it.

Also, it made some continuity errors stick out, and I was wondering if some regular moments were time inversion moments or inverted object moments when they actually weren't.

Terrible acting in this movie throughout.
The script was pretty bad. I feel like JDW, Pattinson, and the blonde woman all did fairly good with what they were given, which wasn't much.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I haven't seen Dunkirk or prestige. Heard Dunkirk was boring, prestige was one of those movies where you saw the trailer forever and when the movie finally comes out, you talk yourself out of seein it. Then I hear that stupid twist on how it ended.

So insomniac, batman begins, and interstellar are all better. Its on the same level as inception
I actually think Prestige is one of the more underrated movies of the 2000's, and I say that while also believing that Nolan has become one of the more overrated directors in the game. I think I keep it pretty fair with Nolan. He's got a lot of weaknesses, and The Prestige is not a perfect film, but it's in his top 3, I think. There are so many layers there.

I watched an hour plus video essay on it earlier in the pandemic, and I've seen the movie 4-5 times and this essay still brought a lot of things to light that I missed out on. Even when I knew on the latter viewings what the twists were going to be.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I read an article yesterday that said Leo in Inception really pushed Nolan to focus more on the characters, and despite all the exposition we got, that it originally was much worse. I think Leo even might've overacted a bit in places in order to try to bring some more soul and character into he film. There's a lot of exposition in it, but I still like that one.

I think Interstellar is dope too because of M.M. The scene where he's watching the videos of his kids still chokes me up anytime I watch it, and I think he's another example of an actor that was able to tap into emotion and show it on screen that went beyond what was in the script.

Tenet was visually stunning, but I felt no real connection to any of the characters. The mother (I literally forgot her name already) was the only one with any motivation that I understood. She wanted to protect her son, and that resonated with me. The Protagonist/JD Washington was great, but too often I thought he seemed too cool and calm given the situation, and too often reacted in ordinary ways to extraordinary events. But I'm starting to expect this from Nolan. There's just not much soul in Nolan's movies, despite them being technical marvels that I enjoy watching.

Side note on Interstellar. One of my biggest gripes is that there are emotional moments in that movie that Nolan undercuts by inserting expository dialogue when it's not necessary. The scene in the black hole in the main example. As the audience, we know what we're watching, and we get it. M.M. does a great job (Ince he falls into the tesseract) of showing fear, confusion, pain, sadness, and then determination to help his daughter. These things were all obvious, but Nolan felt the need to have M.M's character discuss out loud what was going on with the robot character, and the exposition pulled me right out of what would've been a more powerful moment without the dialogue.

Agree with everything you said. It seems like Nolan is just coming up with completely abstract ideas, how to film it and tries to write a basic story around it. It's just that his "basic stories" with Dunkirk & Tenet didn't hit as well as it did with Inception & Interstellar. He had already established books & stories to go off of for The Prestige & the Dark Knight trilogy. His brother wrote Memento, and his brother didn't work on Tenet or Dunkirk. Maybe he should go back to letting his brother cook with the screenplay for his films :patrice:

Edit - Just looked it up and saw Jonathan Nolan also wrote Interstellar with Chris.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Gets better with every viewing
I’m sure it does and I want to watch it again, but this is some of my issue with it. I get the impression Nolan made this wanting people to see it multiple times and knowing they’d likely need to see it more than once to fully get it.

And on one level that’s fine. I love movies that give you more on each viewing as a 2nd course, or dessert. But I also dislike when I feel like I’m being asked to view it multiple times just to get the regular 1st portion size.

this film is eye candy of the highest order, but the idea of going through the first hour of exposition and emotionless dialogue seems tedious at the moment. I’ll get to it again though.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

You got a link to that article? Would love to read it