Official T E N E T Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What makes Inception great is that is it absolutely critic-proof. You can make a clear justification of it being a straight forward movie, or that it's all a dream. It's all intentionally ambiguous so even that plot holes are questioned if it's really a plot hole or intentional? It has the one of the best misdirection which is the spinning top, and even the hidden misdirection of the wedding ring, yet the contradictions of everything due to Cobb is an unreliable narrator.

Tenet is harder to digest because Nolan has stop force feeding people to understand his movies. You literally have to know what time inversion and entropy, because he's not going to explain it fully. Then Nolan stopped caring about character development because in his eyes, "what's the point". Why care about a person's background, or even character arc? Or even NAME for that matter? We just know the main guy, the protagonist, is the good guy. How do we know that? Because of his actions. It was set up at the beginning of him being a good guy that cares about his team, will not snitch, willing to die for the mission, and care about the safety of civilian lives. And Nolan saying that's all we need to understand. Or the need to character depth of the villain. We just need to know that he's an a$$hole of epic proportions that feels because he's going to die anyway, the rest of the universe goes with him as the ultimate F-UCK YOU. And I can understand how that would rub people wrongly who wants their films full of character study and assessible. And Nolan at this stage doesn't CARE. He want to make movies that he always wanted to make. A spy, James Bond, type thriller but with strong science fiction elements to it.

And Nolan has a habit of blending genres when people assume it's one thing, and it rub people off initially, but become fan favorites in later years. The Prestige is a prime example, because people came in thinking in a period piece, but did not expect any actual sci-fi to come into play and it messed people's opinions up at the time. Or with Interstellar, thinking it's a hardcore science film, but once it gotten to the tesseract and the mysticism is inputted into the film, people's opinions again were messed up.... both films years later are viewed as people's FAVORITE Nolan films.

I think Tenet may end up in that vein of being one of the fans favorites, because it's one of the Nolan-esque type of movie. Movies like Insomnia and Dunkirk are his most forgettable films, yet more critically praised...due to them being less Nolan-esque.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
What makes Inception great is that is it absolutely critic-proof. You can make a clear justification of it being a straight forward movie, or that it's all a dream. It's all intentionally ambiguous so even that plot holes are questioned if it's really a plot hole or intentional? It has the one of the best misdirection which is the spinning top, and even the hidden misdirection of the wedding ring, yet the contradictions of everything due to Cobb is an unreliable narrator.

Tenet is harder to digest because Nolan has stop force feeding people to understand his movies. You literally have to know what time inversion and entropy, because he's not going to explain it fully. Then Nolan stopped caring about character development because in his eyes, "what's the point". Why care about a person's background, or even character arc? Or even NAME for that matter? We just know the main guy, the protagonist, is the good guy. How do we know that? Because of his actions. It was set up at the beginning of him being a good guy that cares about his team, will not snitch, willing to die for the mission, and care about the safety of civilian lives. And Nolan saying that's all we need to understand. Or the need to character depth of the villain. We just need to know that he's an a$$hole of epic proportions that feels because he's going to die anyway, the rest of the universe goes with him as the ultimate F-UCK YOU. And I can understand how that would rub people wrongly who wants their films full of character study and assessible. And Nolan at this stage doesn't CARE. He want to make movies that he always wanted to make. A spy, James Bond, type thriller but with strong science fiction elements to it.

And Nolan has a habit of blending genres when people assume it's one thing, and it rub people off initially, but become fan favorites in later years. The Prestige is a prime example, because people came in thinking in a period piece, but did not expect any actual sci-fi to come into play and it messed people's opinions up at the time. Or with Interstellar, thinking it's a hardcore science film, but once it gotten to the tesseract and the mysticism is inputted into the film, people's opinions again were messed up.... both films years later are viewed as people's FAVORITE Nolan films.

I think Tenet may end up in that vein of being one of the fans favorites, because it's one of the Nolan-esque type of movie. Movies like Insomnia and Dunkirk are his most forgettable films, yet more critically praised...due to them being less Nolan-esque.
I had to stop reading this post because this was the most laughably apologetic shyt I have read in years. Especially the part about The Prestige which is all wrong. The Prestige was a relatively small film at the time it was released, and was put together with the Edward Norton film The Illusionist that came out around the same time. Both films kinda flew under the radar but The Prestige was widely considered the better of the two and was a bit more successful at the box office too. Either way it was never underappreciated as it was well received by audiences right from its release. It could only be considered underrated in light of how much Nolan's next films would be incredibly overrated.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had to stop reading this post because this was the most laughably apologetic shyt I have read in years. Especially the part about The Prestige which is all wrong. The Prestige was a relatively small film at the time it was released, and was put together with the Edward Norton film The Illusionist that came out around the same time. Both films kinda flew under the radar but The Prestige was widely considered the better of the two and was a bit more successful at the box office too. Either way it was never underappreciated as it was well received by audiences right from its release. It could only be considered underrated in light of how much Nolan's next films would be incredibly overrated.

Everything you said about The Prestige got NOTHING to do with what I said. I didn't say it wasn't commercial success, or it being big budget or even about The Illusionist. You the one being apologetic of when it was released when the truth is that both The Prestige, Interstellar had the SAME mixed reviews on its INITIAL release as with Tenet now. Look on Rotten Tomatoes are the lowest by the critics, but both The Prestige and Interstellar are considered fan favorites now.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
In what world are RT ratings in the 70-80% category with average review scores of around 7/10 "mixed reviews"? :skip:

Just because it's not unanimous praise doesn't mean it's a mixed response. It's still overwhelmingly positive. And that's even without getting into the much higher audience scores. That's my point about your weird-ass attempt to make it appear as if Nolan's work has been underappreciated at any point in his career when it never has, and in fact more often has been overrated by critics and fans alike.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In what world are RT ratings in the 70-80% category with average review scores of around 7/10 "mixed reviews"? :skip:

Just because it's not unanimous praise doesn't mean it's a mixed response. It's still overwhelmingly positive. And that's even without getting into the much higher audience scores. That's my point about your weird-ass attempt to make it appear as if Nolan's work has been underappreciated at any point in his career when it never has, and in fact more often has been overrated by critics and fans alike.

Yea, it has. Again.. I never said people hated any Nolan film. But like with Tenet, it was less appreciated until further viewings and as time passes. That's just a truth. Tenet is going to be another film where people will full appreciate it more after repeat viewings. Keep in mind this movie hasn't been called trash either.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
tenor.gif

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Is there a decent copy of this (hopefully with subtitles) out yet?

Really want to see this but I just can't with the cam version I have.

• Dap
Reactions: TNC

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this at theater and I couldn't understand half of dialogue but I could get the jest of what was happening...

Mind blown, great movie, and will be perfect on re watch........