Official Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings Thread

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
It was mid.

I'll give it a 6. The potential is there for a great franchise. I got Jackie Chan flicks mixed with 47 Ronin/Great Wall vibes. I found myself wondering who he would team up with or partner with in future movies.

First off, the CGI was bad in some places. I don't know if it's because debut Marvel movies get the shortend of the budget or they rushed post production or what. Black Panther suffered from this. For instance, the bus fight was the best fight in the movie to me, but anything going on outside the bus looked like a ps4 game. The CGI with the water effects was phenomenal however.

The comedy was flat, even for a Marvel movie. While there was fighting throughout the movie, I didn't get the sense that he was the world's greatest fighter. I did think his sister was well cast and she seemed badass. I do like the main actor in the role, it just wasn't written as well as it could've been. It'll get better in later movies. His skill seemingly came out of no where. Yeah I know he trained for years and they cut back and forth, but it just didn't mesh correctly imo. EDIT: Because he hadn't fought in 10 years...

I see they downplayed the emerging romance between Shang Chi and Katy. I'm assuming they did that because of Chinese audiences.

I do like how they are bringing a lot of older Asian culture without being stereotypical or making things into a caricature.

The movie also was beautiful in some places. The color in Ta Lo was great. The shot where Shang Chi was fighting that one ninja solo and they had the advertisements going in the background that was a great shot.

I feel like the villain/ending should've been more street level fighting, that fake ass Fin Fang Foom was a bit too much and honestly generic as hell.

All in all, it wasn't bad but it just isn't a must see. The best parts of the movie were the fight choreography and Trevor Slattory.

Last edited:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
His skill seemingly came out of no where. Yeah I know he trained for years and they cut back and forth, but it just didn't mesh correctly imo.

Respect your review, but this is a wild take. Like super ridiculous because they spent countless flashbacks showing how he became an elite fighter....

You literally just said "Yeah I know he trained for years" LOL.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Respect your review, but this is a wild take. Like super ridiculous because they spent countless flashbacks showing how he became an elite fighter....

You literally just said "Yeah I know he trained for years" LOL.

Dude hadn't fought in 10 years and wasn't even an adult when he last trained, and seemingly didn't miss a beat. World class pro fighters lose a step 6 months out of the gym but Shang Chi was able to beat down master assassins...nah man. That's bad writing.

Parts of the movie felt rushed. This was one of them.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Dude hadn't fought in 10 years and wasn't even an adult when he last trained, and seemingly didn't miss a beat. World class pro fighters lose a step 6 months out of the gym but Shang Chi was able to beat down master assassins...nah man. That's bad writing.

Breh like @Versa I feel you but when has that ever been a problem in ANY movie:mjlol:

Like that’s a nitpick that can be said about a bunch of movies and yet we pretty much let it ride:russ:

John Wick, Rambo, Nolan Batman, etc.

That’s not bad writing that just standard writing. Also we only saw a glimpse of his current life at the beginning. It was never implied he completely stopped training :pachaha:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Breh like @Versa I feel you but when has that ever been a problem in ANY movie:mjlol:

Like that’s a nitpick that can be said about a bunch of movies and yet we pretty much let it ride:russ:

John Wick, Rambo, Nolan Batman, etc.

That’s not bad writing that just standard writing. Also we only saw a glimpse of his current life at the beginning. It was never implied he completely stopped training :pachaha:

It humanizes the character. It's not needed, no, but it's the hallmark of what separates average movies from great movies.

It's implied he didn't do anything. His father said he let them have 10 years to do whatever. He himself felt like a loser. That's the arc of his whole story...he was not fighting no damn assassins still in those 10 years.

Batman Begins, Bruce was getting his ass whooped
Ironman, Tony had the little janky-ass armors first
And so on and so forth...

This amongst other issues is why I'm saying the movie was mid...it's watchable, but this ain't a great movie. It has the potential but in the pantheon of MCU movies this is above Captain Marvel and below The First Avenger. If that's good-great to you, than we have different expectations for films, especially with what Marvel has brought to us in these last few years.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
It humanizes the character. It's not needed, no, but it's the hallmark of what separates average movies from great movies.

Batman Begins, Bruce was getting his ass whooped
Ironman, Tony had the little janky-ass armors first
And so on and so forth...

This amongst other issues is why I'm saying the movie was mid...it's watchable, but this ain't a great movie. It has the potential but in the pantheon of MCU movies this is above Captain Marvel and below The First Avenger. If that's good-great to you, than we have different expectations for films, especially with what Marvel has brought to us in these last few years.

Fair, but I think there was already enough information and scenes that humanized him and it doesn’t need to be (like a disgraced Hater used to say) spoon fed. Like we get it.

Unlike the movies you mentioned, excluding the flashbacks. This movie from a time frame perspective took place in barely a week. Maybe like 4 days MAX. Those other movies the way the story was told, they had months, sometimes years. I liked them playing it faster also looser with this story. The movie was about was was happening CURRENTLY and the flashbacks was enough to provide the context, backstory, and info we needed…. When we needed it

I think it was a great starting point for this franchise. Is it the best Marvel movie? Of course not….. as the ones we consider the GOATs have manly been the ones that actually had years to build, develop, grow and get to where they needed to be. (A3 for a specific example)

Very rare will an intro movie be as great if better than movie/franchise movie that’s pretty much got its stride down

Also, there isn’t just one hallmark.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Fair, but I think there was already enough information and scenes that humanized him and it doesn’t need to be (like a disgraced Hater used to say) spoon fed. Like we get it.

Unlike the movies you mentioned, excluding the flashbacks. This movie from a time frame perspective took place in barely a week. Maybe like 4 days MAX. Those other movies the way the story was told, they had months, sometimes years. I liked them playing it faster also looser with this story. The movie was about was was happening CURRENTLY and the flashbacks was enough to provide the context, backstory, and info we needed…. When we needed it

I think it was a great starting point for this franchise. Is it the best Marvel movie? Of course not….. as the ones we consider the GOATs have manly been the ones that actually had years to build, develop, grow and get to where they needed to be. (A3 for a specific example)

Very rare will an intro movie be as great if better than movie/franchise movie that’s pretty much got its stride down

Also, there isn’t just one hallmark.

I can agree to some of this. I'm just big on the pacing and exposition if that's stylistically what the movie was going for, which i felt that's what this film was going for and to that point, I think this missed the mark.

It's going to make bank however.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
It was just ok for me, it did it’s job, I don’t need to see it again though
The film was beautiful but it’s nothing you haven’t seen before
Don’t know the comics but is Katy his MJ?
Other than the jokes, why couldn’t this have been a buddy cop movie with his sister?
Seems like Katy was in the way once the sister was introduced.
Why does Katy need to go with him at the end?

Last edited:

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL

I agree. It’s not like riding a bike. Skills like that wane without practice. Should’ve at least been rusty. Also Katie’s arrow scene was unearned imo.
They trained for like one day before the battle. Should’ve been soul eater food. Also didn’t buy Shang Chi “remembering” his moms trainings as well. I really need some background on these rings too cause he took them from his pops with ease