Official Queen & Slim Thread

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just got back from seeing it

And i thought it was a good movie. there were a few scenes that didnt make sense like gun and store clerk scene.

like wtf was that all about :what:

overall it was a good movie. i loved how queen allowed herself to be more vulnerable to slim in the end.
as for the criticisms i understand them but i also think we can be too hypercritical of movies at times. not everything has to make us feel good or make logical sense. people do stupid and outlandish things irl

the whole store clerk scene should have been cut out.

i. Also felt the fat dude who got hit by the truck was corny as hell, they shoulda got a comedian like bruce bruce to do that scene.

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Thought it was decent but also heavily flawed

Beautifully shot and Kaluuya and Bokeem Woodbine both give great performances but the script was a mixed bag. A lot of :dwillhuh: moments that have already been mentioned here and for a chase movie it really lacked a lot of tension. You never really felt like they were in danger at least until the end

Even though it was well-directed the tone seemed more fitting for a slow burn, surreal and atmospheric movie than an on the run film with social commentary. Also, while the sex scene was well done, juxtaposing it with the protest and the kid killing the black cop was just a weird choice.

Yeah, I wished they went the more surreal route, I mean the south is perfect for that.

I will say it was good to see black sexuality on the screen. It's weird that black people rarely have such tender moments like that in Hollywood movies.

But yeah crossing that with the protest was strange.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the whole store clerk scene should have been cut out.

i. Also felt the fat dude who got hit by the truck was corny as hell, they shoulda got a comedian like bruce bruce to do that scene.

i agree about the fat dude. i thought his character was over the top. i think his character would have been better if was older brother. most grown ass men aren't talking in front of their kids like that. even the most hood dudes i know hold a different demeanor around their kids.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
i agree about the fat dude. i thought his character was over the top. i think his character would have been better if was older brother. most grown ass men aren't talking in front of their kids like that. even the most hood dudes i know hold a different demeanor around their kids.

exactly it was written like someone observed something on twitter and put it in a movie but didnt have the actual cultural context to execute it properly

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I think that store clerk scene was to show that cacs don't pay attention to black news etc... :manny:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This chick doesn't get nuance at all. I enjoyed it but it's heavy handed as hell , That Thanksgiving episode of "Master of None" starting to look like a fluke
Imma need to see more but this movie never felt as tense as it should have.

She will get more chances tho since this movie is a hit.

I am happy we will see more of Melina Matsoukas. She is very talented and captures black people well.

ECA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Imma need to see more but this movie never felt as tense as it should have.

She will get more chances tho since this movie is a hit.

I am happy we will see more of Melina Matsoukas. She is very talented and captures black people well.

Yeah the visuals were amazing. She honestly shoulda just went full Malick after reading that script

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
Yeah the visuals were amazing. She honestly shoulda just went full Malick after reading that script

No she shouldn’t have. TM movies are a bore and a chore to sit through. Nobody actually is “entertained” by them shyts.

You think the reviews are mixed now? This shyt bombs if she puts some Tree of Life rubbish out.

Last edited:

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's the point. One of the women in my family had to tell us that it was somebody from a show on tv. Nobody else I was with knew. They playing dirty with this agenda. His name is Indya Moore.
:ohhh: Was it his main piece shorty did have a strong face?