[Official] [PS5] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. Feb 29th 2024. NO SPOILERS

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do you speak Japanese tho?

No. JP is always superior in fantasy games. ENG VA's try to copy the dramatic and exaggerated acting JP does, and it always sounds wrong.

it's one of those things where the native language the product or media was made in usually suits it the best, as it was what they had in mind when creating characters etc. That's why I always prefer JP VA in anime series/movies.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Anyways, I'm rarely the nostalgic type cat, but this game hits those notes in all the right ways. Even puts more into perspective from a fan stand point in how things are recontextualized here. The makings of a classic for sure.

Why I sat at the damn piano for like 45 minutes just messing around with the chords. :whew:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nah, it's not low key, but high key pretentious, lol. It's one thing if the setting is definitively and inherently Japanese, like the Yakuza games, Ghost of Tsushima or Demon Slayer. But when it's otherwise not and/or even more westernized in scope like it is here, it's like....come.on breh. This ain't 1990 where English voice actors didn't take gaming seriously. Your point about the voice syncing is crucial as well to the silliness of this faux Otaku-ism craze. It's like cats peep game that their gourmet cheeseburger was made by a Japanese man, so they "need" to eat it with chopsticks....for posterity. :comeon:

nikkas just want Barret to be referred to as "Kun". :mjpls:

Def where my weeb-ness stops. Even back in the day with bad anime dubs i still preferred english. I only watched Japanese before they started regularly dubbing stuff lke DBZ and whatever with funimation.

I won’t even play a game without an English dub, like the latest one piece game. No thanks.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
No. JP is always superior in fantasy games. ENG VA's try to copy the dramatic and exaggerated acting JP does, and it always sounds wrong.

it's one of those things where the native language the product or media was made in usually suits it the best, as it was what they had in mind when creating characters etc. That's why I always prefer JP VA in anime series/movies.
That once was the case, like 20+ years ago. Not so much today. Definitely not if said Fantasy isn't in a inherent Japanese themed world. There's some Japanese sensibilities in FFVIIR, but it's way more westernized than it isnt.

If you not fluent in Japanese, you'd miss out on a lot of even random banter n shyt in these games going on in the background. And let you get even slightly distracted or be a lil tired playing and miss many lines of dialog cuz you ain't keep up with the reading. Nah....make mine marvel.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
98% the jp dub be better :yeshrug:
In the ghost of tsushima example i gave it most certainly wasn't better but people still insisted on it
To me it sounds more like a preference than it really sounding better.
Same way people always claim the female voice actor is better when you can make your character male or female.
In the game midnight suns the female voice actor was trash, probably the worst i've ever heard, the male voice was actually pretty good though, and yet people still clung to "i prefer the female voice" trope.
I've heard barrett wallace's japanese voice actor for this game and he is inferior to english one. Haven't heard to others to judge though