[Official] [PS5] Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth. Feb 29th 2024. NO SPOILERS

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I feel like this game is great but I see the (visual) weaknesses.

If I'm being honest, I think this was originally a cross gen game and/or many of the assets started as PS4 assets.
I also feel they were working around the weaknesses of Unreal Engine 4 which are the very weaknesses
that Unreal Engine 5 is designed to address.
Bad/Flat lighting, Small Environments, not being able to throw around a ton of polygons, low resolution textures etc.
These are largely the result of the technology being used IMO.

Rebirth also has super aggressive LOD which is jarring given how much more performant the PS5 is than a PS4.

Several dumb comments online have attributed this to the PS5 being "weak" but I think it's more a case of technology that's
really old, really showing how old it is.

With that said, when the tech shines, it REALLY shines and the character models are a cut above what's available in most other titles.
The light (that isn't baked) is also really, really good. Some scenes are lit phenomenally!
I love the motion blur too.

Gameplay wise it's taken some very clear inspiration from Assassin's Creed and The Witcher III.
Kind of amazing that these two games have influences which are still felt in 2024.
I'm loving the game but the more I see of it, this post ain't lying.

The characters look great and some of the areas are well done but others... :huhldup:

Like right now, I'm in a synchronization cave and some of these rock textures legit look like they haven't finished loading :picard:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
I'm just saying the Ubisoft formula works when you are connected to the characters as you are the FFVII cast and the combat is as good as it is here. Clearing all these outposts and raiding all these bandit camps while in complete bliss:wow:

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
damn i just lost like a whole evenings worth of progress 🤬

Edit——-

Ok, i didn’t but i still lost like 20-30 minutes. I got bodied by the “white terror” sidequest boss and i chose reload the last checkpoint because I’m probably underleveled for it and it put me back at the last main quest before I started clearing the map and doing sidequest.

Luckily the latest autosave was way more recent :whew:
Same shyt happened to me now I've been saving like a mad man. I thought any progress made would auto save but I was wrong.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder when this shyt will drop on PC as I'd rather play on Ultra settings. I can't see pass the graphic downgrades of consoles anymore.
Tbh. I think this is an asset problem not a hardware problem.
Like the issues are often at the artwork level, we've already seen titles this generation
which take advantage of the substantial boost in RAM the PS5 has over Ps4/Ps4Pro.
Forbidden West for example is lavished with micro-detail and tons of high resolution textures.

Despite it's shortcomings it's still one of the best looking videogames I've ever seen tbh.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
Man someone needs to tell the Final Fantasy team to not change this formula. i already have a feeling FFXVII will be radically different for no reason.
I think they'll want the remakes to be like 7 and the new one's to be like 16...that's why I can't wait for final fantasy IX's remake...these casuals gon know bout my boy Zidane Tribal :wow: