Official One Night In Miami Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, that part and Malcolm cursing struck me as false. Also, for the most part I liked his back and forth with Sam Cooke but thought he went a little TOO hard at points. It worked for the movie but I doubt the real Malcolm was that harsh toward Sam

We aren't sure how the relationships of Malcolm and Sam was in real life, but based on their personalities that we do know of, a clash of views is possible. Even close to crossing the lines. There's been plenty of audio debates where Malcolm was outright cruel towards other black commentators and that's just on a public venue. Who knows how he was in private. Another thing to keep in mind that people KEEP forgetting, just because he's Malcolm on the outside, he still had a little bit of DETROIT RED in him. So, a depiction of someone who's already stressed, uncertain about his future because he was on the verge of leaving the NOI, on top of disillusioned over the truth of his mentor and leader who molded and changed him into that Malcolm X that we all know, taking out his emotions at Sam Cooke who was just egging him on the entire time isn't much of an impossibility. Malcolm was still human.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The actor playing Ali gave a great performance. The actor playing Malcolm, seemed like Obama was doing an impersonation of Malcolm. Jim Brown and Sam Cooke's character was ok.

I'd give this 7.5/10. Good movie. The different perspectives in how Black people participated in the movement and what was considered as contributing was interesting. Also, Malcolm's portrayal of how he wanted celebrities in the movement to step up is also interesting as Malcolm is known to tell James Baldwin that he finds it "odd" that Black people have entertainers as civil rights activists and leaders.

The entertainers thing was interesting, because Malcolm was on record in speaking against the use of entertainers to promote a movement. However, it also been claimed which was also in the movie that Malcolm really DID wanted Ali to join with him and he was going to use Ali's celebrity to start his own organization.

I think in truth, Malcolm didn't like how celebrities were used as white liberal puppets and not that he was outright against entertainers. I mean why else would he hung around Ali, Cooke, and Brown which that part actually happened. I think he wanted them to be more than just what white people wanted them to be.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The entertainers thing was interesting, because Malcolm was on record in speaking against the use of entertainers to promote a movement. However, it also been claimed which was also in the movie that Malcolm really DID wanted Ali to join with him and he was going to use Ali's celebrity to start his own organization.

I think in truth, Malcolm didn't like how celebrities were used as white liberal puppets and not that he was outright against entertainers. I mean why else would he hung around Ali, Cooke, and Brown which that part actually happened. I think he wanted them to be more than just what white people wanted them to be.

elijah muhammad is who wanted to use Ali to spread the message to the avg person

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Exactly, and Elijah Muhammad was on record being against sports in general because it was frown upon in Islam. But even he knew how beneficial Ali would be in building the Nation.
Im about to watch this movie shortly, but i hope it isnt another one of these flicks that downplay Elijah’s influence on Malcolm and Ali.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
The actor playing Ali gave a great performance. The actor playing Malcolm, seemed like Obama was doing an impersonation of Malcolm. Jim Brown and Sam Cooke's character was ok.

100 percent agree.

Eli Goree was a very natural, youthful Ali.

Kingsley Ben-Amir was definitely more Obama than Malcolm -- but then again, Obama himself
basically sampled Malcolm to develop his black people approach after growing up in Hawaii.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
100 percent agree.

Eli Goree was a very natural, youthful Ali.

Kingsley Ben-Amir was definitely more Obama than Malcolm -- but then again, Obama himself
basically sampled Malcolm to develop his black people approach after growing up in Hawaii.
Till this day Denzel still has the crown. His performance literally gives me chills every time I watch it.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Very good film. Well-acted by all four leads (although I would have preferred they had used some prosthetics to make Kingsley Ben-Adir look more like Malcolm too) and definitely an impressive debut for Regina King.

I think due to the fictionalized circumstances there's quite a lot one could argue about how each of them was portrayed and what relationship they had with each other, so personally I wouldn't nitpick too much about it. Part of the film is obviously about the role each man had as a cultural icon during the Civil Rights period, but it also functions as a talking piece to entertainers in the now. The argument between Sam and Malcolm is deliberately harsh for that specific reason, to double down on the question: If you have a voice that reaches people, how are you using it?

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I agree the actor who played Ali did a damn good job. Someone needs to do something on Sam Cooke. I don't have issues with the screenplay for the movie. But IRL I would have hard time seeing Malcolm snap and cuss at them. But I was impressed and for Regina.

I have so much questions about Jim Brown. From all accounts he was the man and a huge influence on the black community back then. How do you go from being friends with people like Ali and Malcolm and end up with maga:mindblown:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This movie made me listen to some 60's music.

:wow:
I:obama:
Nigel Thatch is the GOAT Malcolm X, but this dude isn't bad. :ehh:

XpigVJo.png

PxvrOc5.png