Official One Night In Miami Thread

6CertsAndAMovie

All Star
Daps
parts of Malcolm's Character were :mjpls::mjpls:

worst ali and malcolm I've seen tbh

but the movie has really good dialogue but the it feels like the characters were drafted around the dialogue and not the other way around

so it comes off as weak

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

but the movie has really good dialogue but the it feels like the characters were drafted around the dialogue and not the other way around

so it comes off as weak

I think they were trying to capture the more human, grounded side of Malcolm rather than the larger than life figure we're all used to. One thing people said about him, even after he became a Muslim, was that he had a great sense of humor. But yeah, I know what you mean with the dialogue dictating the characters rather than the other way around.

Overall i really enjoyed this though. Kemp Powers wrote this and Soul, he's screenwriter of the year imo.

6CertsAndAMovie

All Star
Daps
I think they were trying to capture the more human, grounded side of Malcolm rather than the larger than life figure we're all used to. One thing people said about him, even after he became a Muslim, was that he had a great sense of humor. But yeah, I know what you mean with the dialogue dictating the characters rather than the other way around.

Overall i really enjoyed this though. Kemp Powers wrote this and Soul, he's screenwriter of the year imo.

oh he's the guy from the Soul I hope he keeps getting more and more opportunities

My biggest issue tbh was malcolm calling sonny liston a thug :gucci:

took me out of the whole movie and never got a chance to get back in without going
:mjpls:

Last edited:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh he's the guy from the Soul I hope he keeps getting more and more opportunities

My biggest issue tbh was malcolm calling sonny liston a thug :gucci:

took me out of the whole movie and never got a chance to get back in with going
:mjpls:

Yeah, that part and Malcolm cursing struck me as false. Also, for the most part I liked his back and forth with Sam Cooke but thought he went a little TOO hard at points. It worked for the movie but I doubt the real Malcolm was that harsh toward Sam

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
This was okay to me not great. The guy playing Ali seemed like he was playing Ali lol. Malcolm never really gave off Malcolm vibes except for the beginning when he was on tv giving a speech.

The actor playing Ali gave a great performance. The actor playing Malcolm, seemed like Obama was doing an impersonation of Malcolm. Jim Brown and Sam Cooke's character was ok.

I'd give this 7.5/10. Good movie. The different perspectives in how Black people participated in the movement and what was considered as contributing was interesting. Also, Malcolm's portrayal of how he wanted celebrities in the movement to step up is also interesting as Malcolm is known to tell James Baldwin that he finds it "odd" that Black people have entertainers as civil rights activists and leaders.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The actor playing Ali gave a great performance. The actor playing Malcolm, seemed like Obama was doing an impersonation of Malcolm. Jim Brown and Sam Cooke's character was ok.

I'd give this 7.5/10. Good movie. The different perspectives in how Black people participated in the movement and what was considered as contributing was interesting. Also, Malcolm's portrayal of how he wanted celebrities in the movement to step up is also interesting as Malcolm is known to tell James Baldwin that he finds it "odd" that Black people have entertainers as civil rights activists and leaders.

the issue is people like to downplay the NOI aspects of Malcolm and make up fluffy stuff they think sounds good. Im not saying this is the case here but it happens

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.

but the movie has really good dialogue ....

Makes it worth it to me :manny:

I really love this. The cast, Regina King and the screenwriter really did excellent jobs. This is everything that you guys say that you want in your entertainment: strong Black guys as the leads who are not uncharismatic, stereotypes or homosexuals. Let’s see if you guys appreciate such a sophisticated project

Was sorely needed . I def appreciate this project .

Last edited: