Official NOPE Thread

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt was uninspired trash … outside of the cinematography the story was completely half baked …the characters were mostly vapid and left me with no desire to be concerned with their well being in what should be some of the most tense moments of the film … these horse ranching nikkas are trying to tame and “fight” a mile long morphing space creature so they can get on Oprah and that’s the vessel that JP is using to teach us about the trappings of “spectacle” :dead: you gotta be fukking kidding me … ( like no nikka this is you with your biggest budget trying to vainly showcase that your Spielberg impersonation is better than everyone else’s )

the most grounded character was the Fry’s nikka ..he seemed to be the only person functioning with a rationale sense of fear and trepidation that one would seem in most normal human beings … the OJ character was as bland as a can of white paint and was sadly undercooked as a character …like he clearly hates his life …so what is his mute ass even fighting for …he and his sister have 0 chemistry together and don’t even behave as if they come from the same linage let alone household

This sadly looks to be JP’s shark jump …which is really the most heartbreaking part of it all ..so much potential when he started with get out but now you have him making these shallow attempts at social commentary that ironically are beginning to feel much less incisive and much more trite by the film :francis:

Sad.
The clout chasing angle is the most realistic part of the movie. People would 100% behave like the characters did if this were to happen in real life

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The biggest issue with the movie IMO, was just the sheer stupidity of the bunch.
Like doing all that for a picture or footage of an alien in 2022?? That, by their assertion, at best would net 100K? With all the damage to their property, they wont even breakeven with their highest monetary estimate:pachaha:.

Nah, that 100k shyt was when they were just hoping to get a random photo/vid from their roof with the security system. They hadn't invested much at that point and weren't expecting much. To them it was just a UFO that came out from behind the clouds on occasion. Remember how O.J. almost just straight walked away when he saw the aliens on the ground cause he realized it was gonna get deeper than he thought.

By the time they realized that it was a real creature and a deadly threat, the stakes were WAY higher. They wouldn't just be distributing photos/video, they're gonna be selling their story for millions. By the time they started risking their lives and putting all that work in they knew it was a life-changing experience they were after.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
The clout chasing angle is the most realistic part of the movie. People would 100% behave like the characters did if this were to happen in real life
I’m sure a mile long alien balloon would garner attention from a few weirdos in a real world scenario ..I mean it’s a mile long alien balloon after all …but to make a movies whole premise around that specific narrative and try to pass it off as “social commentary” or anything but a run of the mill cliché summer blockbuster attempt is peak pretentiousness …just a poorly executed film with underdeveloped characters which will drive interest solely off of the lore around JP’s “eccentric genre reimagining” and not the merits of the films quality

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
the OJ character was as bland as a can of white paint and was sadly undercooked as a character

O.J. was the best character in the movie for me and was written and acted perfectly. You had to read between the lines in his reactions and facial expressions, seeing what sorts of shyt gave him anxiety and what sorts of shyt he just ignored, and intuiting where his insights came from when he had them cause he wasn't the kind of person who was gonna give you a lecture spelling it out.

…like he clearly hates his life …so what is his mute ass even fighting for

Nah you misinterpreted that. He loves the ranch and loves living there, what he hates is dealing with people and the disrespectful bullshyt he has to take from Hollywood in order to keep the ranch alive. His dad was the one with the charisma who built all that and could deal with it, whereas O.J. just wanted to live on the ranch and take care of the horses and help out his dad. When his dad dies he has to step out of his comfort zone in order to try to save his dad's legacy and its hard for him, he doesn't hit his stride again in the movie until he realizes the UFO is a living animal (by observing its behavior, the manner in which it was ducking in-and-out, hiding in the clouds, etc. was just too naturalistic to be the controlled manuevers of a higher intelligence), and for the rest of the movie he was operating as someone who was working with what he knows.

The scene where he's backwalking the horse was the scene of the movie for me. It put together everything we knew about who O.J. was and everything O.J. knows about what the creature is, but you have to pay attention to put it together because they don't spell it out for you. I appreciate Peele for not giving exposition for the sake of exposition and force the audience to pay attention instead.

@Ruck already nailed all of this about his character perfectly:

Heres my analysis of Kaluyaa as OJ that really resonated with me. I think he was the standout star in this movie. From jump, it already set the expectation of who his character is. At the photoshoot, you see how anxious and unnerving he is around other people. He is one of those types that really don't think highly of humans because how they can be manipulative. He establishes early on how much he respects animals and sees them for what they are and not what we as humans make them out to be.

You can see that he was the type of son that did whatever his dad asked him to. He liked the slow ranch life, made him appreciate animals by caring for them on a daily basis. All he wanted was to work the ranch and that was fine for him. His father dealt with the business aspects dealing with other people and that's something he steered far away from until his fathers passing which forced him to step in that role.

Could he have been on the spectrum? Maybe. But the ranch was everything to him. And him being a loyal son and reverence for his dads legacy. Breh had to come out of that shell as best he could to protect what he and his dad built.

I also loved how intelligent he was. I initially thought the ufo was a ship or carrier. But he was the first to say no, that shyt is a creature itself. And using all his experience and instincts really helped him survive. Especially when he tried to save breh that flew off the motorcycle :mjlol: saw the creature coming and said :manny: i tried breh :russ: but if it was a horse, he definitely would've saved it at any cost:wow:. Just like he did for his sister at the end
blackish-watching-you.gif

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Nah, you misinterpreted that. He loves the ranch and loves living there, what he hates is dealing with people and the disrespectful bullshyt he has to take from Hollywood in order to keep the ranch alive. His dad was the one with the charisma who built all that and could deal with it, whereas O.J. just wanted to live on the ranch and take care of the horses and help out his dad. When his dad dies he has to step out of his comfort zone in order to try to save his dad's legacy and its hard for him, he doesn't hit his stride again in the movie until he realizes the UFO is a living animal (by observing its behavior, the manner in which it was ducking in-and-out, hiding in the clouds, etc. was just too naturalistic to be the controlled manuevers of a higher intelligence), and for the rest of the movie he was operating as someone who was working with what he knows.

O.J. was the best character in the movie for me and acted perfectly. You had to read between the lines in his reactions and facial expressions, seeing what sorts of shyt gave him anxiety and what sorts of shyt he just ignored, and intuiting where his insights came from when he had them cause he wasn't the kind of person who was gonna give you a lecture spelling it out.

Here we go with the “nah you just don’t get it” “it’s just too deep” “you gotta read between the lines” narratives :snoop: ..there’s nothing deep here bruh that’s just called bad character development.. nothing about his character his backstory or decisions indicate a “love” for anything aside from convention which wasn't even something he arrived at on his own as that was passed down from his daddy …he’s as hollow as that damn balloon that killed the UFO ..he’s solely operating throughout this movie from a sense of obligation not love not passion not motivation none of that …the only thing we know about him is that he seemingly values tradition because this is all he’s been exposed to …not that being on the ranch gives him any sense of joy …nikka didn’t have one joyful expression the whole movie …the character was empty trash

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I do find it ironic tho tht the only thing that injected a bolt of life into that comatose ass nikka OJ was when his sister mentioned how much money they could make from getting the alien on video … suddenly this ostensibly “principled” individual immediately broke character and started doing some ocho cinco-esque touchdown celebration and dap with her ass once he saw those dollar signs :russ:

Let me guess tho .. that was just peele masterfully examining the “corrupting powers that fame and wealth can have on even the most prudent souls” right :dead:

cc8f9faffd6e344d1add1fa54c10287315614b78.gifv

nikka was hyped lmao

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Here we go with the “nah you just don’t get it” “it’s just too deep” “you gotta read between the lines” narratives :snoop: ..there’s nothing deep here bruh that’s just called bad character development.. nothing about his character his backstory or decisions indicate a “love” for anything aside from convention which wasn't even something he arrived at on his own as that was passed down from his daddy …he’s as hollow as that damn balloon that killed the UFO ..he’s solely operating throughout this movie from a sense of obligation not love not passion not motivation none of that …the only thing we know about him is that he seemingly values tradition because this is all he’s been exposed to …not that being on the ranch gives him any sense of joy …nikka didn’t have one joyful expression the whole movie …the character was empty trash

If it was bad character development then the rest of us wouldn't have all magically gotten the same insights and messages from it.

Not everyone makes "expressions of joy" when they enjoy something, especially not when it's a daily task. They demonstrate their passion through their hard work and commitment to excellence.

You're just being too arrogant to admit that the problem was you.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
If it was bad character development then the rest of us wouldn't have all magically gotten the same insights and messages from it.

every movie has fan boys who create unwarranted “lore” around the things they want to be great ..even the shytty ones … there’s a reason that this is JP’s lowest reviewed film out of his entire catalog …but I’ll let you continue thinking this is some isolated critique if that makes you feel better :mjlol:

Not everyone makes "expressions of joy" when they enjoy something, especially not when it's a daily task. They demonstrate their passion through their hard work and commitment to excellence.

You're just being too arrogant to admit that the problem was you.
Not all characters are as poorly executed and dull as the ones written in this movie … especially not in good films … well developed characters demonstrate their depth and psychology via insightful dialogue… actions as well as backstories …not uninspired shallowness and definitely not “commitment” lol there’s people in committed relationships right now that hate their damn partner but are too afraid to explore a new lifestyle ..that’s a terrible argument honestly

You’re just being too Stannish to admit that you’re ok with substandard quality.

:francis:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
every movie has fan boys who create unwarranted “lore” around the things they want to be great ..even the shytty ones …
You’re just being too Stannish to admit that you’re ok with substandard quality.

How could I have gotten that interpretation from "lore" when I just watched the movie yesterday and didn't read this thread or anything else about the movie at all until after I commented?

If I was a fan boy or a stan then I'm pretty sure I would have seen the film before September. You're just throwing out that shyt cause you have nothing.

there’s a reason that this is JP’s lowest reviewed film out of his entire catalog …but I’ll let you continue thinking this is some isolated critique if that makes you feel better :mjlol:

Look at you trying to spin a movie that's at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes as poorly reviewed.

If your critique isn't isolated, then I'm sure you'll quickly be able to find respected reviewers who say that Kaluuya's character and performance are a problem in the film. I have a feeling it's going to take you a while. Start on the first Rotten Tomatoes "Top Critics" review, and tell me how many you have to get through before you find the FIRST one that feels the same way you do.

The people who didn't like the film generally feel the plot was too disjointed or has holes. Same thing I pointed out. Only the ignoramuses are bytching about Kaluuya's character.

Not all characters are as poorly executed and dull as the ones written in this movie … especially not in good films … well developed characters demonstrate their depth and psychology via insightful dialogue… actions as well as backstories …not uninspired shallowness and definitely not “commitment” lol there’s people in committed relationships right now that hate their damn partner but are too afraid to explore a new lifestyle ..that’s a terrible argument honestly

So you didn't just misinterpret the movie, you aslo aren't reading what I said correctly. This is not going to be worth it.

Go watch Halloween again, you'll like it a lot more.

Last edited:

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
After my first watch I came away feeling a little underwhelmed, it wasn't bad by any means but I think I set the bar too high (maybe unrealistically so) and couldn't help but feel like it never got there.

Gave it a second watch and I like it a bit more. Reaffirmed how great the cast was (especially Kaluuya and Keke) and certain shots were beautifully done. I guess my biggest issue is that this is essentially a modern day Jaws and everything lived up to that except the creature, the saucer/vagina balloon just didn't do it for me.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
I'm :mjlol: at 90% of the criticisms being either "the movie subverted my expectations and wasn't exactly like everything else therefore I didn't like it" or people just straight not understanding it.

1. Yes, they did stupid shyt cause they were chasing clout. That was one of the major points of the movie - that people every day are doing stupid stuff, even shyt that gets them killed, because they're clout chasing.

2. The entire point of the Gordy scenes was that lack of respect for wild animals gets people fukked up. The horse not being respected by the other stage folk in the opening scene foreshadowed it. Jupiter had lived through that lesson with the chimp, something was nagging at him when he was flashing back to it right before his show, but he didn't learn his lesson and got got the same way the chimp people did. Haywoods nearly lost their lives failing to learn the same lesson - they wanted to tame the UFO and have it just jump through their hoops. Gordy wasn't just an add-on and it doesn't work as a stand-alone either - the entire point of the Gordy subplot was intrisictly tied into the main plot.

3. Your image of what a "UFO" should be is literally a Hollywood creation. Being upset that a movie came up with something new for a UFO rather than having the exact same little gray men in a spaceship as every other movie is just goofy. Thank God someone is still looking to be original.

4. The fact that the UFO got got by an inane foe in the end was intentional. The whole movie there was a theme of people biting off more than they could chew and underestimating their opponent, and in the end the UFO fell to the same theme (foreshadowed in the nature videos the videographer kept watching of predators getting the tabales turned on them). Its power was that it could suck up shyt like nobody's business. Its weakness was that it sometimes bit off more than it could chew. There are multiple instances of predators eating something too big or too unwieldy and meeting their Maker that way. The fact was that the UFO was far too powerful to be met head-to-head, it was only going to die via subterfuge, not firepower.

Ok great it has nice themes but the movie isn't enjoyable so it doesn't matter.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
How could I have gotten that interpretation from "lore" when I just watched the movie yesterday and didn't read this thread or anything else about the movie at all until after I commented?

If I was a fan boy or a stan then I'm pretty sure I would have seen the film before September. You're just throwing out that shyt cause you have nothing.

Lmao ..even your retorts are contrived …just like this movie …it makes sense why you adore this mediocrity :mjlol: firstly I didn’t say anything about you getting your interpretation “from the lore” you tried to use people “us” as you put it as some sort of authority and I said even shyt movies have Stan’s like yourself creating unwarranted lore around shyt …if you can’t read simple English or comprehend basic syntax why should anyone value your analysis on the “depth” of anyones art Rhakim? … you need to take a breather and have a seat before you go off on these nonsensical time wasting tangents with me brother …it never ends well for you lol

Look at you trying to spin a movie that's at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes as poorly reviewed.

Imagine bragging about the brilliance of a movie that’s sitting at a robust 77% critic review and 6.3 user review on metacritic :dead:

Even trying to fix your lips to do such even the context is that peak groupie-ism I’m talking about …. That nikka JP not going to flewed you out and put you in his movie for kissing his ass brother ..get up off your knees it’s embarrassing

If your critique isn't isolated, then I'm sure you'll quickly be able to find respected reviewers who say that Kaluuya's character and performance are a problem in the film. I have a feeling it's going to take you a while. Start on the first Rotten Tomatoes "Top Critics" review, and tell me how many you have to get through before you find the FIRST one that feels the same way you do.

The people who didn't like the film generally feel the plot was too disjointed or has holes. Same thing I pointed out. Only the ignoramuses are bytching about Kaluuya's character.

My critiques on this movie are not singular and were never presented as singular to begin with Rhakim ..this is your groupie-ism trying and desperately failing to devolve the conversation into such because you have no retort for this film being his lowest rated effort or the mediocre reviews that this mediocre ass movie which mediocrity enthusiasts such as yourself are hyping up … now if anyone is going to be getting a homework assignment it’s going to be you explaining this shyt:

C88-EDE04-9-AEC-40-B8-BB93-315-CC1368-EAA.jpg

So you didn't just misinterpret the movie, you aslo aren't reading what I said correctly. This is not going to be worth it.

Go watch Halloween again, you'll like it a lot more.

Typical time wasting gibberish loop … the only thing that was misinterpreted was you digesting this mediocrity as highbrow cinema nikka :russ:

Don’t stop at Halloween brother ..shyt nikkas can watch airbud and enjoy it more than this shyt.. at least that movie and it’s audience is grounded enough to know what it is unlike gullible ass groupies such as yourself lol

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Lmao ..even your retorts are contrived …just like this movie …it makes sense why you adore this mediocrity :mjlol: firstly I didn’t say anything about you getting your interpretation “from the lore” you tried to use people “us” as you put it as some sort of authority and I said even shyt movies have Stan’s like yourself creating unwarranted lore around shyt …if you can’t read simple English or comprehend basic syntax why should anyone value your analysis on the “depth” of anyones art Rhakim? … you need to take a breather and have a seat before you go off on these nonsensical time wasting tangents with me brother …it never ends well for you lol

Imagine bragging about the brilliance of a movie that’s sitting at a robust 77% critic review and 6.3 user review on metacritic :dead:

Even trying to fix your lips to do such even the context is that peak groupie-ism I’m talking about …. That nikka JP not going to flewed you out and put you in his movie for kissing his ass brother ..get up off your knees it’s embarrassing

My critiques on this movie are not singular and were never presented as singular to begin with Rhakim ..this is your groupie-ism trying and desperately failing to devolve the conversation into such because you have no retort for this film being his lowest rated effort or the mediocre reviews that this mediocre ass movie which mediocrity enthusiasts such as yourself are hyping up … now if anyone is going to be getting a homework assignment it’s going to be you explaining this shyt:

Typical time wasting gibberish loop … the only thing that was misinterpreted was you digesting this mediocrity as highbrow cinema nikka :russ:

Don’t stop at Halloween brother ..shyt nikkas can watch airbud and enjoy it more than this shyt.. at least that movie and it’s audience is grounded enough to know what it is unlike gullible ass groupies such as yourself lol

You typed all that shyt to say nothing and get respect from no one. Your judgement is ass breh. :laff:

Let me repeat - I didn't even watch Nope until yesterday. I have never seen Us at all. So I'm obviously not a groupie.

The rest of your bytching is incoherent and you didn't even understand my critiques of your position. It's becoming more and more clear why you didn't understand the movie either.