Official NOPE Thread

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
My mama confused as fukk about the monkey reference but it’s genius, and even more perfect that the same person who survived from that incident wind up getting got because he forgot what saved him the first time

When you treat these wild ass animals like a pet, don’t be surprised when they act like a wild animal

:hubie:
Man, I thought this was painfully obvious but you'd be surprised how many people were confused by the Gordy bits!

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Favorite movie of the year so far and might honestly be Peele’s best film
I might be there with you. This could possibly take the crown for my favorite this year. Crazy considering I wasn't really felling Us. Have you seen Everything Everywhere All at Once? That's the only '22 movie I have in front of Nope. That was also really fukking good so I'm conflicted. I'll need to re-watch this.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Saw the movie last week. I feel like I need to watch it again because I'm conflicted. On one hand, all the non-alien stuff was great. The characters, the setting, the sibling dynamic, the Gordy sitcom thing. There's this great movie there...and then on the flip side the alien was just so disappointing to me that it almost felt tacked on, like Peele had everything else figured out except for that. Yea I get the play on expectations, how we all have thought flying saucers were a shyt when it's really something else...but eh. The word "spectacle" comes up a couple times in the movie, and there is definitely a sense of Spielberg type spectacle throughout the movie outside of the alien for me personally. I just didn't get a sense of...personality? It's just this thing that is killing/eating people and it's not compelling or scary. Not in a Jaws sense, where there's so much exposition and buildup that the shark takes on a personality.

I really liked the Gordy stuff, and the way Jupe was using that tragedy to keep his career going. Same with the TMZ reporter who was lying there with broken bones, but more focused on having a picture taken for clout/money. I'll definitely revisit this in a few months because there's so much to like.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
1. I don't have the intelligence to understands what's going on,,,, about to go Wiki

2. Keke looks just like me Ex / freinds from years ago( same size and everthing ) :mjcry:🥰.. she just had to many issues and baby daddy shyt,,,, had to leave her alone....

about to do a sadness bust
-hKtKg.gif

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I might be there with you. This could possibly take the crown for my favorite this year. Crazy considering I wasn't really felling Us. Have you seen Everything Everywhere All at Once? That's the only '22 movie I have in front of Nope. That was also really fukking good so I'm conflicted. I'll need to re-watch this.
Winner
:win:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Just saw it and I liked it a lot. DK's acting was fire, you really believed him as a ranch guy who just wanted to be on his ranch and didn't deal with other people outside the family like that. Cinematography was beautiful. Plot repeatedly subverted expectations - the alien kids fake-out, the praying mantis fake-out, the UFO being alive, Jupiter already knowing way more than they did, OJ's plan working to perfection only having to re-run everything on the fly because old nature photographer dude wanted his pure moment, and the UFO getting got by the most inane foe in the end.

It was tight how Peele managed to weave in at least three major themes rather than just following some cookie-cutter narrative:

* Talent being exploited and spit out by the Hollywood industry. The Haywoods, Jupiter, the horses, the chimp, they were all exploited by that Hollywood machine that didn't give a shyt about their own well-being. Even the Fry's guy had been tossed to the side once his girl got a taste of that Hollywood fame.

* Clout-chasing overrides people's rational faculties. Over and over, everyone who got fukked up (outside of the innocent tourists) did so because they were trying to get that perfect instagram shot and be famous.

* Wild animals need to be treated like they're wild. You can't just walk all over them, you can't assume anything about them, you can't pretend you've tamed them. From the chimp to the horses to the UFO, ignoring the lesson gets you fukked up.

And the genre-bending was awesome - it was a hardscrabble "gotta save the ranch" family movie but also a horror movie but also a Western.

My only negative is that it didn't feel entirely smooth - there were disjointed elements that it seemed like Peele could have incorporated into the narrative better. Jupiter already having this long-ass relationship with the beast was foreshadowed but too heavy-handed, I wish there was a smoother way they could have shown that he knew something was going on (though I think Jupiter scenes probably look a lot different on rewatch). Cinematographer man was a bit out-of-place and overacted, I wish they had worked him in earlier. And the world knowing about the disappearance of 40 people but not having some massive LEO presence out there was too big a plot hole - all those people dying either should have been a bigger deal or just have been toned down to make it more seemless.

That lack of smoothness is the difference between this being a "neat" movie to me and a "great" movie.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Loved It. Jordan is 3 for 3. And again these are Original Concepts. Not Comics, Not based on previous Books or other source Material. Sci Fi at it's finest. Loved all the themes symbolism about Black people being erased from cinema as well. He did a fantastic job with the suspense. I left the movie wanting more knowledge about the Alien so there is prequel/sequel potential. Keke and Daniel did well in the leads. The only thing I'll say is once they knew what it was. There a$$e$ should have been out of there, lol. Lowkey this reminded me a little of "Tremors" as far as the style of them being out in open land/desert. It also brought back memories of the film "Fire in the Sky" as far as UFO's.

giphy.gif

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm :mjlol: at 90% of the criticisms being either "the movie subverted my expectations and wasn't exactly like everything else therefore I didn't like it" or people just straight not understanding it.

1. Yes, they did stupid shyt cause they were chasing clout. That was one of the major points of the movie - that people every day are doing stupid stuff, even shyt that gets them killed, because they're clout chasing.

2. The entire point of the Gordy scenes was that lack of respect for wild animals gets people fukked up. The horse not being respected by the other stage folk in the opening scene foreshadowed it. Jupiter had lived through that lesson with the chimp, something was nagging at him when he was flashing back to it right before his show, but he didn't learn his lesson and got got the same way the chimp people did. Haywoods nearly lost their lives failing to learn the same lesson - they wanted to tame the UFO and have it just jump through their hoops. Gordy wasn't just an add-on and it doesn't work as a stand-alone either - the entire point of the Gordy subplot was intrisictly tied into the main plot.

3. Your image of what a "UFO" should be is literally a Hollywood creation. Being upset that a movie came up with something new for a UFO rather than having the exact same little gray men in a spaceship as every other movie is just goofy. Thank God someone is still looking to be original.

4. The fact that the UFO got got by an inane foe in the end was intentional. The whole movie there was a theme of people biting off more than they could chew and underestimating their opponent, and in the end the UFO fell to the same theme (foreshadowed in the nature videos the videographer kept watching of predators getting the tabales turned on them). Its power was that it could suck up shyt like nobody's business. Its weakness was that it sometimes bit off more than it could chew. There are multiple instances of predators eating something too big or too unwieldy and meeting their Maker that way. The fact was that the UFO was far too powerful to be met head-to-head, it was only going to die via subterfuge, not firepower.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Imagine if lions could only eat things that made eye contact with them. :lolbron:

Nonsensical.

There are a ton of animals that identify other animals via their eyes. There are plenty of prey animals that key in on a predator's eyes and bolt when they see that eye contact. As well as predators that key in on a prey animal's eyes and don't attack if they get the wrong eye contact. As well as predators that key in on an animal's eyes so it can attack the head, and will get distracted by false eyes on a different portion of the body. That's why so many animals have fake eyes to confuse other animals.

4b36a4605fac9cfd498219731e0fc16c.jpg

images

691216bd52f87d03eecf8ed4fe7dd7d3--national-forest-eyes.jpg

foureye-butterflyfish-int.jpg

offset_105651.jpg

eyed-click-beetle-alaus-oculatus-on-bark-of-tree-the-distinctive-markings-eye-spots-on-the-insects-pronotum-are-thought-to-provide-a-deterence-t-R8J5RD.jpg

It's no new thing for an animal to cue in on the eyes. This intergalatic predator appears to be going from planet to planet but can only eat organic matter. How would it be able to tell the difference between organic matter and something it couldn't eat? Makes sense that eyes could be the thing it hones in on.

So the alien was a sheet :mjlol:
This shyt was ass. They was fighting a parachute alien :mjlol::dead:

a-us-army-paratrooper-descends-using-his-mc-6-parachute-c20809-1600.jpg

Why wouldn't an animal that lives entirely in the air have the appearance of something that can float in the air? Seems pretty natural to me.

Peele clearly was inspired by sea creatures, which are the closest comparison we have to what an "air creature" would look like:

bathochordaeus5-v2285.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Giant Larvacean - a type of enormous zooplankton that filters the water. It even moves its filtering organ like the creature in the movie. Watch 0:20 to 0:36

images

how_do_cuttlefish_catch_their_prey.jpg

Cuttlefish float and hunt looks a lot like the creature too - watch from 3:20 where it does that rotating color shyt like the UFO creature.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Watched it again for the first time since seeing it in the theater. It was even better the second time. There was a Nolan-esque quality to this after seeing the twists the first time and watching through that lens a second time. I still caught new stuff the second time around.

Angel saying "they're here" was a reference to Poltergeist, which Spielberg wrote. OJ in the truck was an homage to the Jurassic Park Tour / T-Rex scene. It was raining in both scenes, while we got the addition of Jean Jacket raining blood on the Haywood Compound.

29b40e25-3e9f-4938-9a7f-c419af4a8305_text.gif

Em didn't annoy me as much this time cuz I knew what to expect from her. I liked Angel's character even more this time. OJ still the MVP.

The title card transitions worked better the second time and weren't as jarring, with the exception of one of the later entries. The Gordy transition was perfectly executed with regard to OJ's discovery that Jean Jacket was an animal and a predator at that.

I'm of the mind that OJ survives at the end. The music swells and is so triumphant when he returns and Em / Keke sells it perfectly with her relief and excitement that her brother is still alive. Still tho, the song that plays when OJ is leading Jean Jacket away was called "A Hero Falls." I think Em was able to cut that bike on just in time to distract Jean Jacket away from OJ. This is like Cobb's top in Inception.

I think this is now my favorite Peele flick. :manny:

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
shyt was uninspired trash … outside of the cinematography the story was completely half baked …the characters were mostly vapid and left me with no desire to be concerned with their well being in what should be some of the most tense moments of the film … these horse ranching nikkas are trying to tame and “fight” a mile long morphing space creature so they can get on Oprah and that’s the vessel that JP is using to teach us about the trappings of “spectacle” :dead: you gotta be fukking kidding me … ( like no nikka this is you with your biggest budget trying to vainly showcase that your Spielberg impersonation is better than everyone else’s )

the most grounded character was the Fry’s nikka ..he seemed to be the only person functioning with a rationale sense of fear and trepidation that one would seem in most normal human beings … the OJ character was as bland as a can of white paint and was sadly undercooked as a character …like he clearly hates his life …so what is his mute ass even fighting for …he and his sister have 0 chemistry together and don’t even behave as if they come from the same linage let alone household

This sadly looks to be JP’s shark jump …which is really the most heartbreaking part of it all ..so much potential when he started with get out but now you have him making these shallow attempts at social commentary that ironically are beginning to feel much less incisive and much more trite by the film :francis:

Sad.