Official NOPE Thread

Bmezy

All Star
Daps
I watched that shyt after a brunch a few saturdays ago with my brother, mom and dad.. them bottomless mimosas slumped df outta me. Movie could have been shaved down a lot. a few disjointled parts that didn't really create a whole lotta cohesion between the story 'breaks'. Great cinematography, though. Overall, some good elements..that beginning scene with the coin was pretty dope.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
GordyTux.jpg

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Just seen it. I had a fantastic time. This is a great movie.

I was on the edge of my seat or in awe at what I was seeing during almost the entire time. I loved that the movie took its time setting the scene and building up the tension and themes. The great assortment of characters helped in that regard. The movie managed to switch smoothly between being funny, stressful, scary and amazing.

There are many things that I liked about it.

They made a great use of limiting the audience's field of vision and using our ears to induce anxiety all along the movie. The chimp's scenes or the children prank in the stables were great examples of scenes that got the theater stressing :sadcam: Same thing for the scenes where they were hiding from the Alien, when OJ was in the car for instance :damn: That was terrifying. I really felt like I was in the car with him at that point.

I really loved that they turned the sky itself into a dreadful thing. At some point, we were just scouting the sky/screen searching for it like :lupe:

The concept for the Alien was very dope too. Loved the Lovecraftian approach of a being you can't really wrap your mind around. Makes much more sense and is more scary to me than the traditional huge metal structures that are powered by the strength of a thousand suns. It looked like a sort of moving membrane, or animated shape-shifting sheets that really enticed my curiosity all along the movie. During the final scenes, it looked like a biblical angel. That was crazy.

The transition from being chased by the creature to the crew chasing it was dope too and elevated the movie a lot. The characters were extremely smart for a horror movie which is refreshing to me. They all had great moments. When OJ defied the Alien by looking at it straight in the hole :wow: and reappared like a badass at the end :wow:

Loved it.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
looks like it comes out on PVOD August 25th?
z4t5c1vjhzi91.jpg
Went last Friday when I could’ve just waited a week :beli:

It was just ok for me. He lost me on the motorcycle scene, that’s not how physics/mechanics works :beli:

It was a slow burn, which is fine but I think Peele just over shot it by doing the most. The barn scene was great and had my wife going “nah fam, it’s a wrap, pack it up” :pachaha:

BEAUTIFUL scenery shots, the family dynamic before the fathers death really needed more development. It would’ve brought more weight to the characters and how one cared more but was non Chaka nt over the card free extrovert and how they used their personality traits as coping mechanisms for their upbringings.

Steven Yuen was a throw away in this movie, as well they could’ve gone more into how he went about the alien exploitation instead of just saying he was taunting it, they also could’ve turned him into a real villain by showing how he had a hand in killing the father and wanted it to happen so he could get his hands on the ranch to expand his own footprint.
A lot of missed opportunity