Official NOPE Thread

Daps
Very strange but Good film. Very suspenseful & unorthodox. I couldn't predict what would happen next.

I left the movie theater wondering what exactly did I just watch. In a pleasant way.

I didn't really detect any social commentary in this one. I'm sure someone will point it out in due time tho.

Keke palmer was great in this.

Definitely one of the summer blockbusters that actually delivered this summer.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
So what was the deal with the camera man?

I figured he’s just the character that finally finds meaning by being part of the beast.

I don’t know what you call it but there’s a character like that in most creature horror movies.
In the movie, Holst, the videographer, makes reference to a hollywood saying "one for them, one for me". Meaning as a person that is into the art of filmmaking you do one for them...the studio...a movie that lacks any type of real art but pays the bills (think Marvel movies)...then "one for me"...meaning a movie has more indie vibes and is more artsy. It may not pay the bills, but it's the film you as a filmmaker really want to make.

Holst, wanted his "one for me"...remember he sat around all day looking at animal predator videos...he wanted the impossible shot...the animal predator video that nobody has...from the perspective of the prey.

He got one reel of video for OJ and Emerald="One for them"
The he swapped out the reels and got his impossible shot that he would die for="one for me"

and i believe he was terminally ill because he was popping some kind of pills.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Movie only made 49 million. Dropped off big from Friday thru the weekend. Looks like this will be his lowest grossing movie to date.
maybe he'll think twice about making another bulshyt M. Night Shamalan film:mjlol:
The budget to make the movie was $68M. They’ll make that back plus the marketing budget this weekend and will be in the black (profit) in its 3rd weekend and digital release after it leaves theaters.

The movie is a success especially when you consider it’s not a superhero movie or a sequel to a popular franchise.

Variety said:
There’s also data to back up the notion that Peele’s brand is only growing in popularity. For “Get Out,” 22% of audiences cited the director as their reason behind going to theaters, per PostTrak. By the time “Us” opened on the big screen, that percentage grew to 40% and for “Nope,” a staggering 56% of people pointed to the director as their explanation for buying a ticket.

“Those are Tarantino, Wes Anderson and Spielberg numbers,” Dergarabedian says, referring to the few directors who wield that power. “[He’s] made such an enormous splash.”

Last edited:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
The budget to make the movie was $68M. They’ll make that back plus the marketing budget this weekend and will be in the black (profit) in its 3rd weekend and digital release after it leaves theaters.

The movie is a success especially when you consider it’s not a superhero movie or a sequel to a popular franchise.
theres no competition for the past few weekend tho

Minions been out since July 1
Lightyear and TopGun both been out for over a month

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
So Jordan Peele is the new M. Night Shyamalan :russ:

I had a feeling he was a one hit wonder lol

A LOT of people on Twitter are calling him M Night and a one hit wonder. Grand Opening, Grand closing lol

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky

Movie will mos def make a profit, just pointing out it'll be his lowest grossing movie by a mile.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
theres no competition for the past few weekend tho

Minions been out since July 1
Lightyear and TopGun both been out for over a month
And Thor dropped off the map real quick. Nope just doesnt have the word of mouth. The title is also just dumb and nobody knows what to think of it. The theater i went to was pretty much empty.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
So Jordan Peele is the new M. Night Shyamalan :russ:

I had a feeling he was a one hit wonder lol

A LOT of people on Twitter are calling him M Night and a one hit wonder. Grand Opening, Grand closing lol
M knight had 3 very successful movies in a row. And his Alien movie made much more money than Nope will.

They are similar but M knight fell off after signs. Maybe Peele will come back strong after this miss.

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Forbes said:
Jordan Peele’s Nope topped the box office on Tuesday, earning $5.46 million on day five to push its domestic cume to $54.605 million. That’s a 14% increase from its $4.7 million Monday gross.

This thread is becoming ironic in that people are looking for a train wreck and are more entertained by the potential disaster (there isn’t one) of the movie’s failure than the message the movie delivers.