Essential Official Netflix Thread

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
BO3LPcF.png

7/10 (4/5 on Netflix because it deserves more than a 3)

Pretty good drama centering around two illegal immigrants in England trying to overcome poverty and the societal ills that poverty inflicts upon them. Since it's mostly centered on character work and acting, I'll mostly just focus on the performances.

Chewitel Ejiofor is as great as he usually is. From what I've seen from him in the past (And, looking over his filmography, I've actually seen quite a bit of his work), he tends to have that great balance of quiet reservation that only gives way to intensity and passion when it's deemed absolutely necessary. He balances that will here.

Audrey Tautou unfortunately might be the weak point here, and that's rare, because she's usually so damn compelling. I think that the combination of not only having to act in English, but acting in English, as a Turkish immigrant with a Turkish accent...might have been too much of a stretch for her at this point in her career. She's the least convincing here, and some of that is on the writing. She's portrayed as mousy, religious, and self-conscious...but she also is the one that pursues the romance, and seems to be the bigger dreamer of the two. I dunno, maybe that was "the point", but I found it kind of messy.

Serge Lopez was about as scary of a villain as you can have in Pan's Labyrinth. Here, he channels that wickedness into something more sleazy, but he's nearly just as convincing as a shady hotel owner/organ peddler.

Sophie Okonedo gets the least amount to do, as she's playing a hotel whore with not much screen time...but her few short moments are surprisingly impactful and she tends to steal every scene that she's in.

Overall though...a very nice drama, with a surprisingly schlocky yet unique story , and some intriguing characters.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
fukkin Central Park 5

Boy if we could get the cops for all the times they robbed us in Soundview

:deadmanny:

Or Sugar Hill

Or Ft.Greene

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I started watching season 2 of From Dusk Till Dawn...got like 5 minutes into it and stopped.

I don't know if I even care.

The first season (3/5) was only really fun because I'm such a fan of the movie and it was fun noting the similarities and differences between them, and seeing how they would stretch out the story. But season 2 isn't gonna have that and I don't know if I can be bothered. Anyone a fan of this?

Darknet (3/5) was a fun little anthology show. Nothing spectacular, but iirc, there is only like 6 half-hour episodes...No reason not to finish it.

It's certainly better than those horrible V/H/S sequels. Most of its short stories are also better than most of the stuff in ABC's of Death.

BTW, don't watch Cropsey (2/5) fukking boring. Goes nowhere.
I'm bored lol any quick horror suggestions

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I
I got a 4k 50" vizio...Netflix has some 4k movies available, and its definitely cool watching things in 4k. I've always been a vizio guy, you get good TV for an affordable price.

Vizio might be my next purchase...I've had the same Samsung for like 8 yrs I think it's time I upgrade...I gotta replace furniture first so hopefully by by end of summer

DeeezNuts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan, NY
I
I got a 4k 50" vizio...Netflix has some 4k movies available, and its definitely cool watching things in 4k. I've always been a vizio guy, you get good TV for an affordable price.

Hey breh...i was leaning towards the sony XBR55X850C...wasnt trying drop a stack on a tv...but anyone on here has this tv?

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
I'm bored lol any quick horror suggestions
Sorry for getting back to ya so late but if you're still interested...I would maybe check out this movie called The Shrine.

qubMoRD.jpg

It's bizarre, and a little cheesy...but it's like...completed invested in its storyline and mythos, there is no self-awareness. That can often be the downfall of a horror film, but here, I kind of thought the sincerity worked towards its favor.

Honestly...it has like two good scenes...but those two scenes are very well done, kind of surprising, and genuinely kind of creepy.

Another interesting movie : Pontypool

xvBLndv.jpg

I thought this had really great exposition and build-up to the weird things happening. It has a nice little mystery element to it; you aren't really certain just what's going on until the characters find out themselves. Pretty much shot entirely in one location, but the lead is very good as a radio shock-jock here.

Last edited:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry for getting back to ya so late but if you're still interested...I would maybe check out this movie called The Shrine.

qubMoRD.jpg

It's bizarre, and a little cheesy...but it's like...completed invested in its storyline and mythos, there is no self-awareness. That can often be the downfall of a horror film, but here, I kind of thought the sincerity worked towards its favor.

Honestly...it has like two good scenes...but those two scenes are very well done, kind of surprising, and genuinely kind of creepy.

Another interesting movie : Pontypool

xvBLndv.jpg

I thought this had really great exposition and build-up to the weird things happening. It has a nice little mystery element to it; you aren't really certain just what's going on until the characters find out themselves. Pretty much shot entirely in one location, but the lead is very good as a radio shock-jock here.
I liked pontypool I'll check out the other thanks breh . Did you ever see stakeland ?? I love that movie on Netflix