Official Nas Thread

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't fear...different is GREAT!
This album seems to be just as important to him as his first was to him. He wants to do it right because as he stated his first album was to let people know that he was here and this album is for them to never forget. He is setting the next chapter for himself and artists on Mass Appeal.

Yeah, it's the impression that I got from him being so secretive about the album. It's like he'd rather us hear it than him giving us details.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm really happy he's stepping his business and philanthropy up, I really am....but new fukking album please :sadcam::pachaha:

I get it, he's in his 40's now, 20 year rap career behind him. He's easing into the part time thing meaning we won't see him drop an album every other year or even a side project like Firm or Distant Relatives....... but again, I also feel like this is actually one of the few eras where a vet like him can actually gain and hold the attention of this particular younger audience (People are more socially conscious online, I feel more people respect Nas' legacy now even if they don't listen to that era, Kendrick Lamar and J Cole are two of the three most popular young rappers right now, very much in that Nas lineage etc etc etc). I even feel like more young respect Nas now than even 10 years ago when it was south ringtone rap and NY/Dipset Mixtape fans and people were more cynical and were siding with Jay and 50 and Cam and took things like HHID cynically....
And he's got a young beast of a manager who will literally fight tooth and nail to put his clients (We talk about how rejuvenated Nas' whole Life is Good campaign was, look at what Saleh did with fukking Future off of just 2 mixtapes this year. I'm telling you he's gonna help YG take that leap on his sophomore album too.). So definitely the time is now, I wouldn't wait anymore longer, music is not like movie franchises, you can be a legend but don't be totally out of sight and out of mind and take more than 4 years between albums. I honestly think Red and Meth should have dropped LP's in the early 2000's.

I don't think its a laziness factor, I really do think after the divorce and the tax things he wanted to get dead serious about money investment and its probably more profitable to go on a tour or do club events than drop album where you're probably taking more out of your own pocket than a label budget and won't recoup, but you need that new music in this era and push as much as you can even now even if you're an establish legend so there's still young people coming to your shows. Him, Jay, Snoop, some of the Wu dudes, they were able to keep it going with shows and diverse audiences cause they dropped shyt in three decades.

I'm sure there's also maybe a bit of a apprehension because its going to be his last major label album....and I dont think deep down he wants to see what its like to finally not have a big machine back you up and promote you. Mass Appeal looks like a decent well formed small botique lable with the mixtapes and indies its dropping for Run the Jewels, Fashawn, Dave East, Boldy James and Bishop Nehru but I'm sure Nas does want to fully go small time . Dude's been on a major since he was what 17? He's 42 now, I understand that's a weird leap to take this late, but you gotta try it.

Sorry for the :dame: but this is what happens when you aint got else to talk about in terms new music :feedme:

That was long, and I disagree with you. I think Nas can't wait to go independent. If that letter to the heads of Def Jam that leaked a while back is real, it means Nas wanted to release lost tapes 2 on the label and have it count for his album quota. There's nothing that Def Jam can do for him that he can't do for himself at this point. He gets his endorsements on his own, and he books his shows on his own. Distribution on Mass Appeal will be handled by Sony Red. Marketing is the only thing that he might miss but he can do that on his own as well.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
That was long, and I disagree with you. I think Nas can't wait to go independent. If that letter to the heads of Def Jam that leaked a while back is real, it means Nas wanted to release lost tapes 2 on the label and have it count for his album quota. There's nothing that Def Jam can do for him that he can't do for himself at this point. He gets his endorsements on his own, and he books his shows on his own. Distribution on Mass Appeal will be handled by Sony Red. Marketing is the only thing that he might miss but he can do that on his own as well.

I'm sure he's frustrated with certain aspects of working within a major, at the same time even when a major doesnt support an artist that much they still have that distribution pull and playlist pull. People forget Nas was still on the radio in the Def Jam years even if not that much compared to others.
At this point, he should try and be on an independent, but I'm saying because its something he's never done, I'm sure they are some reservations about it

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Everybody sitting here gossiping and analyzing need to just chill. EVERY SINGLE ALBUM CYCLE we go through this. Nas announces an album, a bunch of different producers go on record talking about their doing "this and that" with Nas, he drops a little tease single, does a bunch of features, and then...when HE'S good and goddamn ready he drops the album...

The ONLY thing different about this particular cycle is that the whirlwind of renewed Illmatic love because of the 20th anniversary caused him to focus on the documentary (which was top notch) and the corresponding tour, which I'm sure set "back" his new album focus.

Nas has been doing this SUCCESSFULLY since 1992. I'm sure he knows quite well the difference between Def Jam and Mass Appeal (which is distributed by Sony, his old stomping grounds) Im sure he understands the difference in marketing, promotion, etc. I'm sure he took all of that WELL into mind before setting any of it up. So we should really chill with all of this bullshyt speculation "Nas is scared to go independent" :martin: talk.

Let that Legend COOK

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sure he's frustrated with certain aspects of working within a major, at the same time even when a major doesnt support an artist that much they still have that distribution pull and playlist pull. People forget Nas was still on the radio in the Def Jam years even if not that much compared to others.
At this point, he should try and be on an independent, but I'm saying because its something he's never done, I'm sure they are some reservations about it

I don't think "reservations" is the right word. That would imply second thoughts. He might be nervous and or anxious of the unkown though

Life is Good

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas is still very present in the culture (there is a reason for the touring & club appearances besides the great $ LOL). He is testing the climate and the public's sentiment about the quantity/quality of music. Research takes time and not everyone will be happy with the wait but as Nas has stated before, “You can't please everybody. You'd be crazy if you're trying to. So take some time out to do some things for yourself.”

I think he needs this times for himself because he deserves it after 20+ years. Nas stated, “I think I've had the longest career of strength, focus, and still being able to sell records. I think I'm that guy. I'm still blessed with the opportunity to make music and pass out a message like, 'Life is good,' to the world.” So for those that fear or think Nas has reservations about his art...please NEVER doubt Nas' love for music period. The past few years, Nas decided to enjoy success in other ventures that he has a strong passion for (business, movies, writing books, producing documentaries and tv series ect.) and most importantly he is just taking time to enjoy his life with his family & friends.

I think we as Nas fans will be happy with his achievements in 2016 & beyond!

Again, Happy New Year...I enjoy this forum!

Last edited:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am just so curious as to what the Lost Tapes 2 is going to look like. I am also curious as to the number of complete songs recorded for the new album. We've heard that he has been recording for nearly 2 years so there has to be at least 50.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I am just so curious as to what the Lost Tapes 2 is going to look like. I am also curious as to the number of complete songs recorded for the new album. We've heard that he has been recording for nearly 2 years so there has to be at least 50.

THIS is probably one of the reasons why Nas wants to go back to Sony, they own the Masters to all of those pre-Def Jam gems, including the recordings for never released ALBUMS like Death Of Escobar and Nasdaq Dow Jones:banderas:

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
tumblr_nbaud70eO71svefdfo1_500.gif

Have a great New Year!

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's the era that I am most interested in hearing. I know the Def Jam stuff is dope but the pre Def Jam has more of Nas's street shyt rhymes on display. Being a street cat myself, I want to hear that shyt b.