UK
B3ohaiNIIAAPDiX.jpg

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Nas Produced Hip Hop Documentary “Fresh Dressed” To Premiere At Sundance Film Festival

December 10, 2014
by [URL='http://allhiphop.com/author/ykyles/']Yohance Kyles (@HUEYmixwitRILEY)

News.
Share |
(AllHipHop News) The 2015 Sundance Film Festival will get a taste of Hip Hop thanks to the Nas-produced, Sacha Jenkins-directed documentary Fresh Dressed. The film covers the history of Hip Hop fashion and culture.

[ALSO READ: The Filmmakers Of Nas: Time is Illmatic Speak On New Documentary]

Fashion industry insiders like Kanye West, Andre Leon Tally, Riccardo Tischi, Dapper Dan, Karl Kani, Dame Dash, and Thurston Howell III make appearances in the movie. According to Jenkins, the doc presents a narrative that “begins with slavery and ends with what is being rocked today–and what the social implications attached to it all are.”

Fresh Dressed was produced by Mass Appeal in conjunction with CNN. The film will be released in 2015 and air on CNN.

Other featured documentaries scheduled to debut at Sundance include The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution(Director: Stanley Nelson), In Football We Trust (Directors: Tony Vainuku & Erika Cohn), and What Happened, Miss Simone? (Director: Liz Garbus).
[/URL]
nas1.jpg

http://allhiphop.com/2014/12/10/nas...d-documentary-premiere-sundance-festival-cnn/

Last edited:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I love the concept of Fresh To Death, and Panama's very own Karl Kani (one of Hip-Hop unsung hero in the garment industry) is going to be featured in it: BLACKEXCELLENCE:myman:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Hip-Hop Socialite recaps the hottest celebrity news and gossip of the last week, and drops a few exclusives…

Keeping Up With The Joneses: Destiny Jones Talks Being Nas’ Daughter, Her Parents’ Relationship, And Lipmatic; Plus, Enter For A Chance To Win In “The Scoop” Lipmatic Giveaway!!

Being the daughter of a music icon has its privileges, but Destiny Jones is working hard to build a legacy on her own merits.

As the first born child of hip-hop legend Nasir Jones, better known as Nas, and his ex Carmen Bryan, Destiny knows first-hand the ups-and-downs of the industry. Over the years, the issues between her parents have played out in the public eye, but the 20-year-old fashion student remains unaffected by it all, and is still pursuing a career in entertainment.

I became interested in talking to Destiny when I read she had launched Lipmatic, a new line lip of lip gloss that takes its name from a few of her dad’s album titles. Her mother and I met through a mutual friend (hey Nikki!!), so I reached out to her to ask to speak Destiny. By the next evening, Destiny and I were on the phone talking about what it was like growing up as Nas’ daughter, her parents’ relationship, Lipmatic, and her aspirations of becoming an actress. Plus, Destiny and I are collaborating on a giveaway – one lucky reader of this column will win a gloss from her Lipmatic line (details on how to win are below)!!
I was a fan of Nas and Carmen prior to speaking to Destiny, but our conversation made me an even bigger fan of the duo. Destiny is one of the most well spoken and focused young ladies I’ve talked to in a while. Whatever their issues in the past, Nas and Carmen have done an awesome job of raising their daughter to be a boss chick!! Check out highlights from our conversation below.

ON WHAT IT WAS LIKE GROWING UP AS NAS’ DAUGHTER:
“Growing up, I wasn’t really famous, but growing up, it kinda was a known thing. No matter what school I went to or what neighborhood I was in, somehow, word-of-mouth, people would find out. And I definitely would be treated different. I’m happy to say that I haven’t had any type of negativity about my life because of it, but when it comes to other people finding out who my dad is, I just had to deal with like, a lot of fake friends around me. People wanting to be my friend for the wrong reason, but it was definitely a little bit different. One of the times I really noticed okay, there’s a difference, was when I was a kid, maybe like ten-years-old, and I was in Queens with my cousins at the park. As soon as we got to the park, my cousins all huddled up, and said, ‘Okay, everybody look out for Destiny. Don’t let anybody touch her.’ And I was like, ‘Okay, I get it. I’m a little bit different.'”

ON IF BEING NAS’ DAUGHTER MAKES IT HARD TO DATE:

“Well, I always say that to my friends, ‘If I was a guy, I would not want to date Nas’ daughter’. But my experience has kinda been the opposite. If anything, I’ve had to more so look out for the phony people who just want to date me because of who my dad is. I’ve had to deal with that pretty much all my life. Every time I really start to date someone, in the past, I don’t open up and just tell them who my dad is when I first start to like them and kick it with them, but eventually, they do find out, and it seems like every guy has had their little groupie moment. Like even guys who aren’t Nas fans, as soon as they find out, I have to give them at least two weeks to calm down. And I’m like, ‘It’s really not that serious.’ So I’ve never actually had like the type of relationship where, okay, I want you to meet my dad now. It’s just never been that deep before, but I don’t know, I kinda feel bad for that guy that I’m serious enough to introduce to my dad.”

ON HOW THE ISSUES BETWEEN HER MOM AND DAD PLAYING OUT IN THE MEDIA AFFECTED HER:

“I think that when I was younger, a lot of the drama that was out in the public with them, I didn’t really understand it, I didn’t really see it. I really didn’t know what was going on, and it didn’t affect me that much. Now if my parents are on any type of blogs for beefing with each other, it’s kinda not that big a deal to me because usually, whatever’s in the media is always like ten times deeper than what it actually is between us as a family. So it really doesn’t phase me that much. It’s just like whatever, tomorrow there will be something else in the blogs. I don’t really pay attention to it.”

“I’m a little different because with me personally, certain things just don’t affect me the way, like, my friends for example. I have friends that are like, ‘Wow, I wouldn’t be able to handle that. But with me, I’ve never really grown up caring about the opinions of others – what other people think of me and my family. So, for me, it just kinda falls to the wayside, like I really don’t care that much. But I’m sure that for any other individual, it would be kinda traumatizing.”

ON HER MOM AND DAD’S RELATIONSHIP:

“I think that my parents just both have a clear understanding that regardless of what has happened in the past, we’re a family regardless. Nobody can ever say anything bad about my dad to my mom or she’ll go off, and my dad doesn’t want to hear anything bad about my mom. So that love is there and that respect is there, and right now, and hopefully forever, everything is really just cool between them. Regardless of whether they were ever going through their drama or not, I feel like that love and respect has always been there, and they always had that unspoken understanding.”

ON THE POSSIBILTY OF HER DOING REALITY TV, AND THE REALITY SHOW SHE AUDITIONED FOR:

“When I was seventeen, Love & Hip-Hop: Atlanta actually did reach out to me, and I definitely did do an interview with them. ‘Cause I never one hundred percent say no, I’m only like, ‘Let me see what this is about before I say no’. So that definitely is not my speed – that type of reality TV, even though it’s entertaining to me, and I do watch it every week. I used to say, ‘Never, I’ll never do reality TV’, but now I’m like, you know, ‘Never say never,’ you know. You never know what the future will hold.”

ON WHY HER AND HER MOM DIDN’T DO LHHA

“I went into the meeting with my mom at a hotel in Atlanta, and we had an interview. They were asking us questions, and they really loved me. They really loved my personality and everything. They were like, ‘Carmen, maybe, but Destiny, yes.’ But like, it was just funny. So after the interview, I started to find out who the other cast members would be, and I started thinking this doesn’t really seem like me and my mom, you know, our speed. What you see on ‘Love & Hip-Hop’, that’s not even my mom’s personality. Like she’s so funny loving and goofy and sweet – it’s not really her speed, it’s not really my speed, and I think the producers could tell when they got the cast together, like, ‘No, you guys wouldn’t fit in with this cast at all’, so it was like a joint agreement.”

ON HER LIP GLOSS LINE, LIPMATIC:

“Well it’s funny, I’m just going to come out and say it – I’m addicted to lip gloss. I have every type of lip gloss there is all around my car, my house, my room. My friends always make fun of me, like, ‘You put it on, that’s all you do is put it on. Is this a nervous habit? Like, what’s wrong with you?’ So, I’m just like, ‘Honestly, I spend all this money on lip gloss. I know what the best ones are and what I look for in one. Why don’t I just create my own?’ So it really was something I just thought about maybe when I was like eighteen. Like oh, that would be cool. and I always said that I wanted to have a product line and a clothing line. I always wanted to have my own business, so I thought, lip gloss – it’s cute, it’s a nice startup company, it’s small, but still a good income. I thought lip gloss would be appropriate – I wasn’t ready for a whole cosmetic line, and so far, it’s doing really well. I’m really proud of it, and I’m so excited for all the things to come from it.”

ON THE NAME LIPMATIC:

My dad knew I wanted to do a lip gloss line, but it was before I came up with the name for it. I was really struggling with the name, and one day, me and two of my girlfriends went out for lunch, and one of them asked me, ‘Who are the first people that would buy your lip gloss?’ And I said, ‘Probably my dad’s fans.’ And then that’s when she’s like, ‘Alright, so what are your dad’s albums?’ So I started writing his albums down, and I thought, ‘Illmatic’, ‘Stillmatic’, and then I just said ‘Lipmatic’. And as soon as I said that, they just dropped their forks. They’re like, ‘Lipmatic, that sounds so good.’ And when I told my dad, he just got excited, so it just went from there.”

Outside of Lipmatic, Destiny hopes to one day open a boutique, and possibly launch a fashion line. One of her other passions is acting, and she’s currently taking acting classes to perfect her craft.

To enter for a chance to win in “The Scoop” Lipmatic giveaway, simply tweet, “I just got ‘the scoop’ from @hiphopsocialite with @TheGoodLifeEA” by Thursday, December 18. I’ll announce a randomly selected winner via Twitter the following day, Friday, December 19. One lucky winner will receive a lip gloss of their choice from the Lipmatic collection!! You can also purchase Lipmatic by visiting Karmaloop.com or Lipmatic.com. Good luck, and keep checking “The Scoop” for additional giveaways!!

http://thegoodlifeea.com/?p=2110