Official Nas Thread

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/queensbridge-residents-show-love-nas-article-1.1742266

Suprisingly cool article by the NY Daily News about the people of Queensbridge reflecting on Illmatic 20 years later

Langs, David, Allen Rap legend Nas poses in a 1996 photograph at the NYCHA development where he grew up.
He brought Queensbridge to the world 20 years ago.
Long Island City rap icon Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones — better known as Nas — released his debut album “Illmatic” on April 19, 1994 — and scholars, artists and current residents of the Queensbridge Houses still sing its praises today.
“From a neighborhood perspective, the album was very important to us,” said Larry Webb, 47, a construction worker and 37-year resident, as he stood beside a basketball court the rapper used to play on at the 26-building Queens complex on Tuesday afternoon. “It was the best thing that ever happened to us.”
The 10-song album features songs like “N.Y. State of Mind” and tells the story of a community suffering from violence and poverty. Nas’s poetic wordplay and his collaborations with multiple producers cemented the collection’s status.
“As Miles Davis’s ‘Kind of Blue’ was to jazz and Marvin Gaye’s ‘What’s Goin On?’ was to soul music, ‘Illmatic’ is arguably the greatest hip-hop album of all time,” wrote University of California-Irvine professor Sohail Daulatzai in a collection of essays about “Illmatic” he edited with Georgetown University sociologist Michael Eric Dyson.
nas2q-5-web.jpg
Tobias Sallinger Apparel vendor "Green Eyes," a 37-year resident of Queensbridge, notes that Nas is only one in a long line of musicians to come out of Queensbridge.
The album still inspires Queensbridge residents hoping to draw attention to persisting inequalities today, said Angel Rivera, who lives a floor below Nas’s former apartment 5D in the six-story brick building at 40-16 Vernon Blvd.
“He’s doing it the right way,” said Rivera, 25, an aspiring producer. “He’s not just doing it for people on the block or black people or white people — he’s doing it for everyone. You can still be hood and be civilized.”
Rivera and other residents said the rapper returns to the neighborhood to host basketball tournaments and barbecues, and others remembered impromptu performances by Nas and Willie “Ill Will” Graham, whose name was eulogized by the album after he was gunned down at Queensbridge in 1992.
“We used to be up in his house every day freestyling,” said security guard Tonya Breland, 42. “And I told him, ‘Keep doing that and don’t forget me when you make it big.’”
nas2q-1-web.jpg
Tobias SallingerLocal residents play basketball on the same court Nas once played on growing up at the Queensbridge houses in Long Island City.
Nas performed a dramatic 20th anniversary concert with the National Symphony Orchestra on Friday and Saturday at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC, and he’s set to release an anniversary album with several previously-unreleased tracks on April 15. The following day, two filmmakers will showcase a new documentary about the making of the album, “Time is Illmatic” at the Tribeca Film festival.
Asked to reflect on the anniversary at an event with Dyson at Georgetown on Thursday, the 40-year-old rapper said his sustained popularity was a lesson for all the naysayers.
“Every time someone in power tries to hold back the truth in any aspect,” Nas said, “they lose.”

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
UK heads Nas gonna be Headlinng the Saturday Show of Lovebox Festival in Hackney July 19th

MIA, Joey Badass, ASAP Rocky also on the bill
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/76455

He will join Chase & Status, The Horrors, A$AP Rocky, Joey Bada$$, Katy B, Banks, Mount Kimbie, and Sub Focus on the bill.

Elsewhere over the weekend there'll be sets from Ben Pearce, Bondax, Bonobo, Crystal Fighters, Cyril Hahn, David Rodigan, Dense & Pika, Duke Dumont, Elli Ingram, Gaslamp Killer, Hannah Wants, Horse Meat Disco, Huxley, Joy Orbison, Kaleida, Kiesza, Klangkarussell, Kyntro, Madlib, Mnek, Moderat, Paul Woolford, Roosevelt, Scuba, Shy FX & Stamina MC, Special Request, Submotion Orchestra, Tensnake, The Martinez Brothers and Vision Quest. Annie Mac, who is also appearing, hosts her own Annie Mac Presents arena.

The festival takes place in London's Victoria Park on July 18 and 19, and tickets are priced from £35.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/76455#5M71hTIh3mG9OIAx.99

Lineup is kind of dope not just for Hip Hop and you know them hipster girls will be out :ehh:
And for 35 pounds per day thats not too bad :patrice:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They never finished that song I heard

but if you search the archives ...they had a tracklisting for HHID like very shortly before the album came out...and give or take one or two songs(or maybe none at all) every single song that ended up on the album was on the tracklisting except white man's paper

i mean some reviewers even spoke about hearing the song at the listening session

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/57005/nas-drafts-kanye-william-marley-for-new-hip-hop

http://www.thefader.com/2006/10/12/rebirth/

New York rapper Nas is close to putting the finishing touches on his Def Jam debut, "Hip-Hop Is Dead ... The N," due Dec. 19. The album features collaborations with Kanye West, Dr. Dre, the Game, Damien "Jr. Gong" Marley and, as previously reported, the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am, who produced the Iron Butterfly-sampling title track.

On that song, Nas claims to be "on my second marriage / hip-hop's my first wife," and also cleverly references his new home: "Like my girl Foxy, a n**** went Def." The cut lifts the immortal riff from Iron Butterfly's "Inna Gadda Davida."

Another track, "White Man's Paper," is pounding, reggae-influenced cut with a thick, dubby bassline, while "Still Dreamin'" finds Nas trading verses with West. "QB True G" boasts the talents of the Game on the mic and Dr. Dre behind the boards.

"Hip-Hop Is Dead" will be the follow-up to 2004's "Streets Disciple," which peaked at No. 5 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 699,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The disc will be one of two albums to be jointly marketed by Def Jam and Columbia, Nas' previous label.

^How would they know that? :patrice:

We always joke about the "white power structure" and make fun of those who bring it up in every situation...but lets be serious....the fact that song of all songs was left off cannot be a coincidence

8. “White Man’s Paper (War)” featuring Damien Marley, produced by “some new African dude” (that’s all we were told)

“I get my news from that white man’s paper/ So I get my views from that white man’s paper…” Nas and Jr Gong have been down for years, and the craziness of this angry, blistering, bouncing record reflects that. They should start a group called Gods’ Sons.

Read more: http://www.thefader.com/2006/10/12/rebirth/#ixzz2xs1fvNcb

@gatorking get your ass in here :birdman: I notice you don't be in here when I know your an undercover Nas stan

Last edited:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Finally, Nas brings an uncompromising political stance on "White Man's Paper (War)" featuring Damien Marley. Set to a throbbing Bob Marley sample, Nas flirts with controversy, chanting: "I get my news from that white man's paper/So I get my views from that white man's paper/ My people act a fool for that white man's paper/And I don't think it's cool, fukk that white man's paper/ No books in our school cuz that white man's paper, Is droppin' cruise missiles on the head of our neighbors/And I'm like why?"