Reppin
NULL
Nas Assists Emeli Sande and Rudimental on ‘Free’ Remix
by Brian Josephs October 23, 2013 3:19 PM
Share Article on Facebook
Share Article on Twitter
Aa

Atlantic Records
It seems like Nas has been in a good place between last year’s ‘Life Is Good’ — which showed contentment not only in its title, but its lyrics too — and spending his 40th birthday with family, friends and Hennessy. We see more of this positive mindset in his uplifting verse on the remix to Rudimental’s ‘Free,’ which also features Scottish singer Emeli Sandé.

Grand, gospel-style instrumentals like these haven’t really been synonymous with Nas’ raps throughout his career, but he fits in just well. His verse is similar to the mentality he had on ‘Life Is Good,’ except on a larger scale. Nas is more inspirational than reflective here.

“I’m free as I’ve ever been, no discount / No sale half off, I’m too intelligent,” he raps. “Sometimes you think things are all bad until you free yourself, until you be yourself.” Nas says this after he relates the story of a man who just came home from prison only to find out his girlfriend has moved on. He can’t adapt to the outside world and “only in jail he feels free.” The struggle isn’t too far behind.

Nas previously said there are “no limits” for his next album, so this change up in production may be a sign of things to come.

‘Free’ is the opening track to Rudimental’s ‘Home,’ the electronic quartet’s debut album that dropped last Spring.

http://theboombox.com/nas-emeli-sande-rudimental-free-remix/

Tuling

Pro
Daps
Nas Assists Emeli Sande and Rudimental on ‘Free’ Remix
by Brian Josephs October 23, 2013 3:19 PM
Share Article on Facebook
Share Article on Twitter
Aa

Atlantic Records
It seems like Nas has been in a good place between last year’s ‘Life Is Good’ — which showed contentment not only in its title, but its lyrics too — and spending his 40th birthday with family, friends and Hennessy. We see more of this positive mindset in his uplifting verse on the remix to Rudimental’s ‘Free,’ which also features Scottish singer Emeli Sandé.

Grand, gospel-style instrumentals like these haven’t really been synonymous with Nas’ raps throughout his career, but he fits in just well. His verse is similar to the mentality he had on ‘Life Is Good,’ except on a larger scale. Nas is more inspirational than reflective here.

“I’m free as I’ve ever been, no discount / No sale half off, I’m too intelligent,” he raps. “Sometimes you think things are all bad until you free yourself, until you be yourself.” Nas says this after he relates the story of a man who just came home from prison only to find out his girlfriend has moved on. He can’t adapt to the outside world and “only in jail he feels free.” The struggle isn’t too far behind.

Nas previously said there are “no limits” for his next album, so this change up in production may be a sign of things to come.

‘Free’ is the opening track to Rudimental’s ‘Home,’ the electronic quartet’s debut album that dropped last Spring.

http://theboombox.com/nas-emeli-sande-rudimental-free-remix/
Nas vocals are great, just great
Can\t be the only one who thinks this?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
What I want to know is: besides re-packaging Illmatic for the 20 years anniversary, what else they can Sony (realistically) do to make it special? The 10 year edition was pretty nice with several remixes and one unreleased track.

They could drop an illmatic inspired Lost Tapes 2 with unreleased songs produced by Pete Rock, Premo, Q-Tip, large Professor, and LES. Then Nas could go on a mini tour doing songs from Illmatic mixed with unreleased shyt.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seriously though, I wasn't feeling the remixes of the original Ilmatic songs on the platinum edition on disc two, but Star Wars was dope :blessed:

Why would they fukk with a don? Jehovah witness
Him and his co-defendants, I eat 'em like Lucky Charms
With two percent low fat milk, five percent pro black built
It's nothin mother had him motherfukk him
I don't think about it nikkaz talkin there's a lot of gossip
That I'm a prophet or I can't go back to my projects
Can I? Does a plant grow from a pot? yes
Do trees grow from a forest MC's y'all are clitoris

^ My fav part :steviej:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If the 20th anniversary package consist of more unknown gems like On The Real and STAR WARS then I'm going to have three different copies of the GOAT album:blessed:

Last edited:

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eric Sermon produced. Song for Illmatic. Dope or not, Sony should retrieve that track. That "One L" remix with Sadat X is worthy of being brought back. I'd like to here outtakes and alternate versions too. We already know that there was an alternate version of Represent by Premo and an alternate version of Memory Lane. Bring those back!!

Last edited:

Ronald

Daps
Eric Sermon produced. Song for Illmatic. Dope or not, Sony should retrieve that track. That "One L" remix with Sadt X is worthy of being brought back. I'd like to here out takes and alternate versions too. We already know that there was an alternate version of Tepresent by Premo and an alternate version of Memory Lane. Bring those back!!

the alt version of Memory Lane is out there, it sucks

Premier did the original version of One Love, they should put that out

Surreal

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Speaking of QTip, would love him on the album

Can I get:
Qtip
Action Bronson