Official Nas Thread

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Figured I'd post this

Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers » Blog Archive Dime Q&A: Young Guru On Whether The NBA Today Could Hang With Jordan, Hip-Hop's Top 5, And Being Recruited To Hoop In College » Page 3 of

Dime: What about Nas?
YG: Now here’s my problem with Nas. Nas is probably one of the illest writers that we ever had but Nas picks wack beats. Now, I feel like Nas is getting into his mold where his last album was exactly what I wanted from Nas. He made a grown hip-hop album. He doesn’t always pick a hot beat. That’s my thing with Nas. Then it’s like ok, if you look at complete bodies of work, how many complete bodies of works did Nas have? He had 2.

Dime: Ouch. I’m assuming you mean Illmatic and Life Is Good, but what about Stillmatic?
YG: Stillmatic wasn’t a complete body of work too me.

Dime: Oh come on Guru.
YG: That album reminded people of the old Nas. You gotta remember I’ve been with this thing forever. People be like, “Oh my god. Nas made a song about he’s a gun.” But Pharoahe Monch did that originally. Nas isn’t the first person to rap about that. This new generation be giving credit to people but they’ve never heard the Pharoahe Monch story. Nas is one of my greats. I definitely have him top 10, but top 5? He’s not better than Rakim. He’s not.
hmmm what:what:

what does "a complete body of work" mean? did he mean a perfect album? shyt how many perfect albums out there? ever?

So Nas is not top 5 because he's not better than Rakim (speaking of rakimg how many complete body of work has he made?)? does YG realize that top 5 has to include FIVE rappers? Nas doesn't have to be better than rakim to be be in the top 5!

in "stray bullet", Monch was rapping in prespective of a bullet, not a gun. It's not about who did it first anyway, it's about how you flip it. Coming up with an idea is easier than the execution of it.

this dude is idiot yo

Squirtle

Supreme Chancellor
Daps
Reppin
New York
Damn brehs the whole Life Is Good album was amazing but I just realized I slept on a track, today while driving home from class Stay came on. I usually skip that track but decided to let it play. The saxophone playing throughout the song, that smooth jazz shyt. Cruising on the highway with that playing, its just :ahh:

Thank You Nas. :blessed:

Last edited by a moderator:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Damn brehs the whole Life Is Good album was amazing but I just realized I slept on a track, today while driving home from class Stay came on. I usually skip that track but decided to let it play. The saxophone playing throughout the song, that smooth jazz shyt. Cruising on the highway with that playing, its just :ahh:

NAS -stay (life is good album) - YouTube
Thank You Nas. :blessed:

:salute: I knew you would see the light after you left contagious losers like Ash

You should stop by more often

:salute: to a fellow Nas stan.

Lets petition for that Lost Tapes 2

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The thing with those YG comments, he's not that out of line, I'm comfortable saying that many of Nas albums are not 'complete bodies of work', 'Nastrdamus', 'Hip Hop is Dead', 'Stillmatic' would probably fit in that category. 'I Am' too, I'd consider 'Illmatic', 'It Was Written', 'Gods Son', 'Life is Good', 'Street Disciple' to be complete bodies of work.

RoseWooD

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing with those YG comments, he's not that out of line, I'm comfortable saying that many of Nas albums are not 'complete bodies of work', 'Nastrdamus', 'Hip Hop is Dead', 'Stillmatic' would probably fit in that category. 'I Am' too, I'd consider 'Illmatic', 'It Was Written', 'Gods Son', 'Life is Good', 'Street Disciple' to be complete bodies of work.

lol @ you saying 'Streets Disciple' is a "complete body of work" and Stillmatic isnt:scusthov:...what is a complete body of work anyway...COMEDY

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I thought about that one....I guess you could say cohesive, I think I know what he meant, 'Streets Disciple' is a bloated mess, but I think I got what Nas was doing, and it was a complete piece of work, just a mess of one.

'Stillmatic' has ill timeless music that I still play, but it's all over the place, content wise, production style, some shyt is way out of place on that album.

Jay is equally guilty....probably, but I can see where someone would say Jay has more complete albums then Nas. 'Kingdom Come' is complete garbage...but a complete piece of work.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
"Complete" bodies of work are debatable but I'd say off hand

Illmatic

It Was Written

Stillmatic

Gods Son

Streets Disciple

Untitled

Distant Relatives

Life Is Good

All stand out as "Complete" albums if we're talking conceptually or thematically...

I'd throw Gods Son in as well but Id understand the argument against it being "complete" (Zone Out doesnt fit and Mastermind's beat is Ehhh) Lost Tapes is a compilation so I wouldn't include it

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Figured I'd post this

Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers » Blog Archive Dime Q&A: Young Guru On Whether The NBA Today Could Hang With Jordan, Hip-Hop's Top 5, And Being Recruited To Hoop In College » Page 3 of

Dime: What about Nas?
YG: Now here’s my problem with Nas. Nas is probably one of the illest writers that we ever had but Nas picks wack beats. Now, I feel like Nas is getting into his mold where his last album was exactly what I wanted from Nas. He made a grown hip-hop album. He doesn’t always pick a hot beat. That’s my thing with Nas. Then it’s like ok, if you look at complete bodies of work, how many complete bodies of works did Nas have? He had 2.

Dime: Ouch. I’m assuming you mean Illmatic and Life Is Good, but what about Stillmatic?
YG: Stillmatic wasn’t a complete body of work too me.

Dime: Oh come on Guru.
YG: That album reminded people of the old Nas. You gotta remember I’ve been with this thing forever. People be like, “Oh my god. Nas made a song about he’s a gun.” But Pharoahe Monch did that originally. Nas isn’t the first person to rap about that. This new generation be giving credit to people but they’ve never heard the Pharoahe Monch story. Nas is one of my greats. I definitely have him top 10, but top 5? He’s not better than Rakim. He’s not.

the fukk? i tried to read the article but Guru must have been smoking something. peep these quotes right here:

"He may not be as poetic or have the couplets that Jay-Z has but Pac emotion was so powerful. That’s the essence of poetry" :what:

"Now as much respect that I have for Pac. Pac’s not in my top 5." :pacspit:

"Top 5?! That’s five. That’s saying Jay-Z, Big, Pac. That’s three already." :mindblown:

"I kind of got introduced to GBE through Jay Rock. Like Jay Rock was the first person I heard out of that camp that they were pushing." :wtf:

not only that but he didn't actually give his top 5 rappers anyway.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
"Complete" bodies of work are debatable but I'd say off hand

Illmatic

It Was Written

Stillmatic

Streets Disciple

Untitled

Distant Relatives

Life Is Good

All stand out as "Complete" albums if we're talking conceptually or thematically...

I'd throw Gods Son in as well but Id understand the argument against it being "complete" (Zone Out doesnt fit and Mastermind's beat is Ehhh) Lost Tapes is a compilation so I wouldn't include it

I think 'God's Son' is definitely a complete piece of work, lol at how we are going to run this phrase into the ground now, it's pretty cohesive as an album dealing with his Mom's passing, and also a throw back to an older era in hip hip. Missteps and bad tracks don't really make it 'incomplete'. I think I am going to just start throwing 'complete piece of work' in to arguments arbitrarily on some bullshyt, 'Yeah, that's dope...but is it a complete piece of work'?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I think 'God's Son' is definitely a complete piece of work, lol at how we are going to run this phrase into the ground now, it's pretty cohesive as an album dealing with his Mom's passing, and also a throw back to an older era in hip hip. Missteps and bad tracks don't really make it 'incomplete'. I think I am going to just start throwing 'complete piece of work' in to arguments arbitrarily on some bullshyt, 'Yeah, that's dope...but is it a complete piece of work'?

I'd personally put Gods Son up there as well.. You know what fukk it yea it most
Certainly is

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
Revered as “The Sound of New York,” Young Guru:pacspit: possesses over a decade of experience in sound engineering, production, and A&R for the acclaimed Roc-A-Fella Records and Def Jam Recordings. Most recognized for shaping some of the biggest talent in Hip Hop, Young Guru has mixed 10 of Jay-Z's 11 albums, and has earned himself a number of shout-outs on Jay-Z’s tracks :pacspit:paying homage to his exceptional skills behind the boards.