Official Nas Thread

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Maybe, it's because I still can't fathom there's no video for You Won't See Me Tonight, Undying Love, Project Windows, Ur The Man, Poison, Heaven, Still Dreaming...

But we got videos for Nastradamas and U Owe Me. :pachaha:

PasteGod

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe, it's because I still can't fathom there's no video for You Won't See Me Tonight, Undying Love, Project Windows, Ur The Man, Poison, Heaven, Still Dreaming...

But we got videos for Nastradamas and U Owe Me. :pachaha:

Different era, video making techniques are changed and the way we see/ watch videos has changed. He'll probably make bread off views. Look up Nas youtube vids he has crazy views for even unreleased material. This is just another way for the public to experience the music.:huhldup::eat:

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
for one, the price of vids aint the same.

Doesnt really matter, not shooting a video for You Wont See Me Tonight is borderline idiotic.

Nas' creativeness is unmatched but his business acumen is :rudy:...I feel thats why Camel is so successful. His "product" aint as good as Nas, but gotdamn can that nikka sell water to a whale.

People like Nas NEED people like Steve Stoute and/or The IRS pusing them, otherwise he'd just make a classic album, give it to the label and spend the rest of the year being a weeded out recluse.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Doesnt really matter, not shooting a video for You Wont See Me Tonight is borderline idiotic.

Nas' creativeness is unmatched but his business acumen is :rudy:...I feel thats why Camel is so successful. His "product" aint as good as Nas, but gotdamn can that nikka sell water to a whale.

People like Nas NEED people like Steve Stoute and/or The IRS pusing them, otherwise he'd just make a classic album, give it to the label and spend the rest of the year being a weeded out recluse.

Good point. fukked up you calling that nikka camel.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps

lol.. seriously I never thought amount a vids carried Nas one way or the other. No artist is remembered for vids. Busta did a million dollar vid with Janet Jackson. Where did it get him? do we watch the video today? NO

And I seriously think Nas did great with his career. He is still here. 90% of the mufukkas came in that maybe sold a little more are nowhere to be found really. Nas didnt oversaturate himself. He got rich and he loves music.

and lets not bring up business. None of these rappers are great businessmen. Some like Jay were just willing to latch on to things.

and Nas fans cant say shyt musically on why Nas aint as big as Jay. Soon as Nas did more commercial records, nyggas bytched and moaned, so he gave y'all what you wanted.

Jay fans didnt do that shyt.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Steve Stoute, amongst others, has said NUMEROUS times that Nas is a true artist in the sense that he's not about business, he's strictly about the music. The Trackmasters basically had to convince Nas to rap over their production because he wanted his second album to be produced entirely by Marley Marl. Nas just doesn't want to be apart of "that" world and I can't blame him, look at Jay-Z's music nowadays compared to Nas's. the artistry isn't even comparable between the two partly because Jigga is mostly concerned with pushing his music as a "product" instead of a complete body of work. Imagine how much doper BP3 could've been if Jay wasn't as concerned with rapping about his "Mogul Status" and giving us "Reminders" every other bar about how wealthy and great he is and actually spoke on something BEYOND himself. Nas's mindset is exactly what it needs to be to be able to challenge the status quo (Hip Hop Is Dead) speak on issues of African American identity and culture (Untitled) Speak on Black History ( Distant Relatives) and love, life, pain and divorce (Life Is Good) in such an eloquent, passionate, and articulate manner.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol.. seriously I never thought amount a vids carried Nas one way or the other. No artist is remembered for vids. Busta did a million dollar vid with Janet Jackson. Where did it get him? do we watch the video today? NO

And I seriously think Nas did great with his career. He is still here. 90% of the mufukkas came in that maybe sold a little more are nowhere to be found really. Nas didnt oversaturate himself. He got rich and he loves music.

and lets not bring up business. None of these rappers are great businessmen. Some like Jay were just willing to latch on to things.

and Nas fans cant say shyt musically on why Nas aint as big as Jay. Soon as Nas did more commercial records, nyggas bytched and moaned, so he gave y'all what you wanted.

An even better point. That busta video was still great, it won all sorts of awards.

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL

Im not saying Nas needs TO BE like Camel otherwise his career would be a failure...He's 20 years/10 albums deep...he's doing something right artistically.

My point is if you have the product that is grade A, and you have a machine behind you to get that product to people that may not be exposed to you and you dont take advantage, whats the point of even being on a major label?

Im not asking him to "Go Commercial" either, I'm asking him to give the same amount of attention he gives to his music into also promoting his artwork. Nas is laid back introvert, I get that, if thats not his cup of tea then pay someone to do it for you.

Life is Good has been :krs: from top to bottom, artistically to how its being promoted, and I see no reason why he couldnt have done this with every album. This has been a genius run and he hasnt sold out at all...just going out and promoting that piff music that the people wanted.

*edit*

That busta video was iconic and I remember it getting all sorts of exposure and being on many "Best Of" countdowns for the year....but again u dont need a million dollar video like Busta or Puff did...there are lots of classic low budget hip-hop vids

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
Steve Stoute, amongst others, has said NUMEROUS times that Nas is a true artist in the sense that he's not about business, he's strictly about the music. The Trackmasters basically had to convince Nas to rap over their production because he wanted his second album to be produced entirely by Marley Marl. Nas just doesn't want to be apart of "that" world and I can't blame him, look at Jay-Z's music nowadays compared to Nas's. the artistry isn't even comparable between the two partly because Jigga is mostly concerned with pushing his music as a "product" instead of a complete body of work. Imagine how much doper BP3 could've been if Jay wasn't as concerned with rapping about his "Mogul Status" and giving us "Reminders" every other bar about how wealthy and great he is and actually spoke on something BEYOND himself. Nas's mindset is exactly what it needs to be to be able to challenge the status quo (Hip Hop Is Dead) speak on issues of African American identity and culture (Untitled) Speak on Black History ( Distant Relatives) and love, life, pain and divorce (Life Is Good) in such an eloquent, passionate, and articulate manner.

:to: Thats why you the GOAT breh...

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Im not saying Nas needs TO BE like Camel otherwise his career would be a failure...

lol.. but in so many words, Jay's blueprint for success musically IS what Nas would've had to do. Agree??

Jay

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
lol.. but in so many words, Jay's blueprint for success musically IS what Nas would've had to do. Agree??

Jay

Take Jay out of the equation for a sec.

What if Nas could go back to 1996 (IWW) and promote his SAME albums with the same vigor and excitement that he's doing with LIG. Music remains the same but doing it in an era where albums still sold.

A video for Undying Love perhaps :mjpls:

Short teaser for Blaze a 50 maybe :manny:

A Creative video of Nas holding a notebook, and a visuals being shown that go along with each "new rhyme" and starts over every time he crumples the paper and starts a new verse in his Book Of Rhymes :leon:

u get my point...no artistic compromise is necessary :youngsabo:

PasteGod

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Take Jay out of the equation for a sec.

What if Nas could go back to 1996 (IWW) and promote his SAME albums with the same vigor and excitement that he's doing with LIG. Music remains the same but doing it in an era where albums still sold.

A video for Undying Love perhaps :mjpls:

Short teaser for Blaze a 50 maybe :manny:

A Creative video of Nas holding a notebook, and a visuals being shown that go along with each "new rhyme" and starts over every time he crumples the paper and starts a new verse in his Book Of Rhymes :leon:

u get my point...no artistic compromise is necessary :youngsabo:

No Instagram No Twitter No Digital Marketing Infrastructure. Just Radio Videos Concerts Magazines. Marketing efforts weren't as agile. :childplease:
I'm assuming there is much less red tape to make the moves he's making. The Labels were also more powerful. New niche management teams were virtually nonexistent.:takedat:

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
No Instagram No Twitter No Digital Marketing Infrastructure. Just Radio Videos Concerts Magazines. Marketing efforts weren't as agile. :childplease:
I'm assuming there is much less red tape to make the moves he's making. The Labels were also more powerful. New niche management teams were virtually nonexistent.:takedat:

lol marketing didnt need to be as agile because that was still pre-napster/youtube /megaupload. If you shot a video it would be in rotation for months on Rap City.

Not sure what red tape there would be. I see Nas on the ESPYS and other programming, and see him making videos damn near every 2 weeks...I see no reason why that couldnt have been done a decade ago :manny:

Only variable I see between 2012 and 2002 is the IRS.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I dont think his business acumen is THAT bad.

I mean he did give us the Tyson doc and Rock the Bells.