Official Nas Thread

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
G Rap even said Nas' raps were better on IWW. Not just flow wise either. Concepts. Versatility. Storytelling, the nikka improved objectively in almost every way. I can't argue musically because that's a matter of opinion but TO ME. They both dead even.
Ehh, wasn't that big of a leap to me lyrically, flows got more advanced tho no question. He was rapping about more stuff on IWW, wasn't just life in the projects thru the eyes of a teenager/young man like Illmatic was...contextually and conceptually he definitely improved/grew on IWW, which is a huge part of the lyricism so maybe you're right...

I just mean straight bar work tho. Bar work wise, I'm putting the 2nd verse of Memory Lane against almost any verse on "IWW". That 2nd verse might be the best verse ever, imho

I won't even compare the two musically because it's gonna sound like I'm shhitting on IWW, lol. IWW is a borderline classic album but Illmatic is the greatest rap album ever crafted brother..

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Ehh, wasn't that big of a leap to me lyrically, flows got more advanced tho no question. He was rapping about more stuff on IWW, wasn't just life in the projects thru the eyes of a teenager/young man like Illmatic was...contextually and conceptually he definitely improved/grew on IWW, which is a huge part of the lyricism so maybe you're right...

I just mean straight bar work tho. Bar work wise, I'm putting the 2nd verse of Memory Lane against almost any verse on "IWW". That 2nd verse might be the best verse ever, imho

I won't even compare the two musically because it's gonna sound like I'm shhitting on IWW, lol. IWW is a borderline classic album but Illmatic is the greatest rap album ever crafted brother..
IWW is a certified classic album to me. But nah. I Gave You Power, Watch Them nikkas, Take It In Blood, even his verses on Nas Is Coming. Nas was spazzing. Even shyt like Silent Murder. The Set Up. Etc etc. Son was just sharper. There was no rapper better than Nas in 1996.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IWW is a certified classic album to me. But nah. I Gave You Power, Watch Them nikkas, Take It In Blood, even his verses on Nas Is Coming. Nas was spazzing. Even shyt like Silent Murder. The Set Up. Etc etc. Son was just sharper. There was no rapper better than Nas in 1996.
Jigga? Same year.

Jayz was superhuman on the mic in 96 bro...Idk. I got Nas of course, you know that...I'm just trying to be unbiased tho.

Not for nothing but just strictly speaking lyrically, I think Nas improved since 96, as crazy as that sounds. I think he was the perfect MC in 96, everything was 100% in pocket...but just on the lyricism side, Nas pen got even crazier as time progressed. Idk if IWW Esco coulda wrote his verse on "Triple Beam Dreams" or the 2nd verse on "Every Ghetto" or one of the "Poison" verses, I could go on and on forever, lol.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Jigga? Same year.

Jayz was superhuman on the mic in 96 bro...Idk. I got Nas of course, you know that...I'm just trying to be unbiased tho.
Nas >>> Jay in 96. I mean look.

Then u got his unreleased shyt like this..

Or Street Dreams remix. Which i think this remix beat showcases how much he spazzed on it more.

Even shyt leading up to IWW like Understanding.

Jay was right there no doubt. But Nas was stupid wit it bro. Lol.

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
Flow went to the next level on It Was Written, that album might be the actual peak of any rapper in terms of skill, his flow was butter on almost every track. However, Illmatic has some of the greatest verses ever; 2nd verse of Memory Lane, 3rd verse of One Love, all three of The World Is Yours. Another element where Nas really took a leap was in his metaphors.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
To me IWW Nas went to a new level as a rapper. Rhyme schemes are more complex, the flow is like butter, and I think he generally had better mic presence.

Illmatic still a better album but I just feel Nas was a more polished MC in 1996

As for the top 3 from the Hit Boy run, it’s Magic, KD2 and KD3 for me.

I’d probably put Magic 1 top then I struggle between KD2 and KD3 as to what I put second. If I get really specific and rate each song out of 5 and divide by number of songs I basically got them equal. So if had to choose I’d go KD3 as I think Nas better rapping wise on that and he did it no feautures

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
we all still expecting the Primo album this year? It would make sense as 30 years since Illmatic (was sort of expecting it to drop around his birthday(

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Jigga? Same year.

Not for nothing but just strictly speaking lyrically, I think Nas improved since 96, as crazy as that sounds. I think he was the perfect MC in 96, everything was 100% in pocket...but just on the lyricism side, Nas pen got even crazier as time progressed. Idk if IWW Esco coulda wrote his verse on "Triple Beam Dreams" or the 2nd verse on "Every Ghetto" or one of the "Poison" verses, I could go on and on forever, lol.

Jay-Z wasn’t seeing Nas in 96. There’s no song Reasonable Doubt touching Take In Blood or Shootouts

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@spliz @JoelB @MikeStamina @HNIC973 @L. Deezy @Danie84 @Esco @Easy-E @IllmaticDelta

Its time to decide, here on the God’s 51st born day

WHICH album from KD series reigns supreme and WHICH album from the Magic series reigns supreme.

I’m dead stuck between KD2 and KD3 for the KD series. Even though KD3 has the better production and is a solo mission I think i personally like the more “grander” production on KD2 plus having Lauryn and Nas rapping together for the first time is such a highlight. Composure is also one of my favorite Nas songs of all time.

For the Magic series i’m going sometimes stuck between Magic 1 and Magic 3 although personally out the series Magic 2 is my favorite I can admit objectively that 1 and 3 are better. Magic 3 sort of gives me Kings Disease 3.5 vibes whereas Magic 1 really is the closest we’ll ever get to a full Nasty Nas album.
Magic:mj: & KD3 (plus KD2/Magic 3) made me rearrange my Nas GOAT Albums list:damn::mindblown::wow::

Last edited:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay-Z wasn’t seeing Nas in 96. There’s no song Reasonable Doubt touching Take In Blood or Shootouts
Regrets and D’evils are better than Shootouts…kinda clearly, imo of course . I could argue they’re better than Take it in Blood as well but I’m not doing that, 😆, Take it in Blood is too special. “Regrets” in a Top 10 rap song ever for me tho. D’Evils might be Top 50

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Both rap perfection to me

But it's not a perfect album though. Black Girl Lost isn't a good song, Nas Is Coming isn't a good song. It's a classic album but let's be clear lol...there are no bad songs on Illmatic. There are no meh songs on Illmatic. It wins by default.

Prolific_1011

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami-Wade County
The debate is weird and makes no sense.

Illmatic is undoubtedly the greatest Hip Hop album of all time. From the rhymes, the style, the production etc... it just sounds like the quintessential Hip Hop album.

To say IWW is more lyrical or whatever doesn't even change that about Illmatic. Therefore, there's no point in comparing these two albums.

IWW = 5 mics
Illmatic = Untouchable

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
But it's not a perfect album though. Black Girl Lost isn't a good song, Nas Is Coming isn't a good song. It's a classic album but let's be clear lol...there are no bad songs on Illmatic. There are no meh songs on Illmatic. It wins by default.
Illmatic is 9 songs bro. Black Girl Lost is dope to me. Only miss on the album is Nas Is Coming and that's mainly cause of the hook.

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Black girl lost isn't a bad song. The problem with is it's in between greatness

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love both of this records you named. But it is all subjective at the end of the day.