Official Mortal Kombat Thread

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I see why Warner bros are putting all these movies straight to HBO Max. Can’t justify stealing peoples money like that.

upload_2021-4-23_14-5-57.png

out of the WB HBO MAX movies released so far..only half i was like this is cool..admittedly one of them i did not watch (Locked down)

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
Best part was the scorpion and subzero shyt

Kano character was really good too

cole was lame as fukk and useless honestly

wanted a tournament, not goro getting jobbed out

Some nice little action tho, was a fine movie to watch at the crib :yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Dude with the family should have been Johnny cage.
Or just not been anyone. I know that character was a studio mandate tho. They wanted an audience surrogate. And the producers didn’t want it to be a white guy, which I completely understand.

I would’ve fought to make Liu the surrogate again and just did it through his eyes. If it ain’t broke...

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Or just not been anyone. I know that character was a studio mandate tho. They wanted an audience surrogate. And the producers didn’t want it to be a white guy, which I completely understand.

I would’ve fought to make Liu the surrogate again and just did it through his eyes. If it ain’t broke...

Liu would've worked. Sonya and Jax would've worked too if they wanted to make it more grounded. All the exposition from Sonya would've been way more compelling if they actually showed her and Jax discovering the tournament. I haven't seen the animated film Scorpion's Revenge but just from the summary, it seemed like the perfect structure. Sonya/Jax/Liu as audience surrogate as Plot A and Scorpion's search for revenge as Plot B

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Liu would've worked. Sonya and Jax would've worked too if they wanted to make it more grounded. All the exposition from Sonya would've been way more compelling if they actually showed her and Jax discovering the tournament. I haven't seen the animated film Scorpion's Revenge but just from the summary, it seemed like the perfect structure. Sonya/Jax/Liu as audience surrogate as Plot A and Scorpion's search for revenge as Plot B
Here’s the thing tho about focusing on either of those characters as the main narrative: writers will fell like it’s redundant.
I remember when homie made that YouTube MK show was was supposed to be a prequel to his movie after he made rebirth. And he said he didn’t want Liu to be the focus because they already had a movie about Liu. And he didn’t want it to be a tournament show because that already existed. So he made jax and Sonya the stars and it was all about getting people together and fleshing out backstory.

Hollywood, for a place that loves to copycat, every now and then wants to reinvent the wheel and sometimes overthinks.

I enjoyed this but I’m not wild about it. Mostly because of the stuff we’re talking about now (Cole is boring, no actual “tournament” until the end, and since I love Liu I always want him to be in charge lol) but there’s no real issues for it outside of that for me. It’s something that feels too cautious, which is why we get cole as the audience surrogate and an explanation for everything, while also being very much “for the fans.”

And I don’t think they walked that line the best way possible