[Official] MGSV: The Phantom Pain Thread: GOTY Edition.

WaveMolecules

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
That stuff does matter, maybe not to his managers but the people that are kojima/MGS fans applaud and adulate those things and are some of the reasons they look forward to his games. Those things , and others, seperated MGS from games like Splinter Cell, when the latter arguably had better gameplay.

BINGO

Reminds me of Kubrick. his attention to detail was legendary. shoots routinely went over the allotted time frame. hundreds of takes for scenes from time to time.

But the results speak for themselves.

Metal gear solid was, for all of its faults, oNE of the greatest video game franchises ever. hideo kojima was responsible for that.

That's why you should never fukk with the vision of an artist. either commit 100% or don't at all.

Especially with hideos track record.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
interesting how chico looks like Null from portable ops
Nothing is impossible with this story. I remember seeing a fan theory that Chico was actually Gray Fox. The idea was that Big Boss gives Chico the name Frank Jaegar to hide his true identity and he later takes the code name Gray Fox who ultimately becomes the cyborg ninja. We'll never know and it's likely for the best at this point. If Metal Gear Solid were to ever continue they would have to make a whole game just to go back and finish the half game that was The Phantom Pain and further confuse one of the most confusing stories of all time before they could move forward with a new game.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I tried playing this game when it first dropped and got bored with it. The same thing happened with MGS3, until I finally played it again years later and loved it.

Plus I think I hate open world games now :francis:

Daps
Nothing is impossible with this story. I remember seeing a fan theory that Chico was actually Gray Fox. The idea was that Big Boss gives Chico the name Frank Jaegar to hide his true identity and he later takes the code name Gray Fox who ultimately becomes the cyborg ninja. We'll never know and it's likely for the best at this point. If Metal Gear Solid were to ever continue they would have to make a whole game just to go back and finish the half game that was The Phantom Pain and further confuse one of the most confusing stories of all time before they could move forward with a new game.

that retcon to the origin story of grayfox would be dope imo though i didn't really got invested with the story of mgs because of the oulandish stuff happening within its universe not in a negative way but just you know..go with the flow of the story. I mean the story is cool and all for the previous games but in MGSV you can really tell that the product didn't came out as kojima envisoned it to be not only with the story but i somehow feel he wanted to do more with the game mechanics/stuff you can to within the game.

Daps
9aocv7.jpg

:mjcry:

Daps
personally, i had a better overall experience with peace walker than phantom pain...there i said it:wow:
i amount of hours i put in pw...:wow::wow:

Rout3r2035

Superstar
Daps
The feelings I have with this game are so conflicting. It's literally as close to flawless an open-world game can get for me. Incredibly deep gameplay mechanics, just the right amount of linearity/mission structure (without feeling like a hollow collect-a-thon like a Ubisoft game), focus on true stealth and speed to get S ranks and to tackle missions objectives in differing ways, the risk-reward element of juggling primary mission tasks and recruiting personnel for Mother Base. From that perspective, it's an absolute masterpiece.

As a Metal Gear game, it's lacking in lore and proper finality as has been covered in this thread. Had this game been wholly fleshed out, I truly believe it would have been the greatest action adventure game ever made. As it stands, I still think it's absolutely incredible and the only experience so far that has truly felt "next-gen". Easily my GOTY of last year, and a Top 3 (at minimum) Metal Gear game of all-time. I personally believe as time wears on and fans come to accept the whole ordeal between Kojima's departure it'll be recognized as an equal to Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater.

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The feelings I have with this game are so conflicting. It's literally as close to flawless an open-world game can get for me. Incredibly deep gameplay mechanics, just the right amount of linearity/mission structure (without feeling like a hollow collect-a-thon like a Ubisoft game), focus on true stealth and speed to get S ranks and to tackle missions objectives in differing ways, the risk-reward element of juggling primary mission tasks and recruiting personnel for Mother Base. From that perspective, it's an absolute masterpiece.

As a Metal Gear game, it's lacking in lore and proper finality as has been covered in this thread. Had this game been wholly fleshed out, I truly believe it would have been the greatest action adventure game ever made. As it stands, I still think it's absolutely incredible and the only experience so far that has truly felt "next-gen". Easily my GOTY of last year, and a Top 3 (at minimum) Metal Gear game of all-time. I personally believe as time wears on and fans come to accept the whole ordeal between Kojima's departure it'll be recognized as an equal to Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater.
I took a break from and recently decided to go back and try to get 100% completion. Even after months of not even touching the game I still get excited about how incredible it is. It's obvious the game is unfinished which is a shame. So much potential.