Daps

giphy.gif

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I don’t think Coogler would want any parts of that shyt so we should be good on that front.

One of my issues is that I don’t want Black Panther 2 to end up as a backdoor Namor part 1. fukk all that. Black Panther needs to be THE GUY in BP2 while also continuing to establish Wakanda and the supporting cast. You throw Namor in and you’ve got to include HIS backstory, mythos, and all that. fukk Namor’s mythos i’m here for T’CHALLA

You have to establish the villains story in any movie. That's why sequels are usually better because the 1st movie fleshed out the hero so you have more time to spend on the villain in the second movie.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
You have to establish the villains story in any movie. That's why sequels are usually better because the 1st movie fleshed out the hero so you have more time to spend on the villain in the second movie.
I kinda feel like we didn't get him fleshed out as he could've been but, that's also because they did a great job with Killmonger.:yeshrug:

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Was hoping for Achebe and Mephisto being the one to pull the strings :francis:Hopefully Dr. Strange at least teases the dirtbag demon I need my man Ghostrider. You could've gotten real creepy with the whole puppet fukkery :mjlol:
I hope Feige isn't chasing them Avengers dollars..:patrice:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I kinda feel like we didn't get him fleshed out as he could've been but, that's also because they did a great job with Killmonger.:yeshrug:

I felt the problem was they played it too safe with T'Challa's characterization... mainly because they boxed themselves in with how relatable and justified they made Killmonger out to be. Didn't want audiences turning heel on BP so they only dabbled into what his true characterization likely should've been for the movie's plot.

The way the movie was setup, it was clear to me that BP should've been a very smooth but noticeably cocky daddy's boy who strongly/openly argued for his dad's views; should've been the reason him and Nakia broke up/grew apart (with her more liberal views), and his stance clearly being: "well my dad was the shyt, and as for his policies... if it aint broke...".

Making him more strongly in that stance would've made the big reveal and crushing defeat that much more humbling/ for him (and impactful for the audience watching him go through that), but that type of build up also could've made him too unlikable to early on, especially in this trump era, that they probably feared they couldn't have him win audiences back over even with him coming full circle and learning the importance of being "one tribe" at the end. So they made him walk the line.

The scenes they cut out from the movie ( him talking to Zuri and seeing him as a boy with T'Chaka) would've been great additions to flesh out the daddy's boy nature of him, if it were in the original cut.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I felt the problem was they played it too safe with T'Challa's characterization... mainly because they boxed themselves in with how relatable and justified they made Killmonger out to be. Didn't want audiences turning heel on BP so they only dabbled into what his true characterization likely should've been for the movie's plot.

The way the movie was setup, it was clear to me that BP should've been a very smooth but noticeably cocky daddy's boy who strongly/openly argued for his dad's views; should've been the reason him and Nakia broke up/grew apart (with her more liberal views), and his stance clearly being: "well my dad was the shyt, and as for his policies... if it aint broke...".

Making him more strongly in that stance would've made the big reveal and crushing defeat that much more humbling/ for him (and impactful for the audience watching him go through that), but that type of build up also could've made him too unlikable to early on, especially in this trump era, that they probably feared they couldn't have him win audiences back over even with him coming full circle and learning the importance of being "one tribe" at the end. So they made him walk the line.

The scenes they cut out from the movie ( him talking to Zuri and seeing him as a boy with T'Chaka) would've been great additions to flesh out the daddy's boy nature of him, if it were in the original cut.
I actually think that would have been too obvious. The truth is they made T'Challa a lot like Killmonger....just real dudes. He was conflicted at every turn and every scene. Boseman just played it uber subtle.

If anything it showed that being too passive/going with the flow can have life punch you in the face outta nowhere. He was grieving so he wasn't as aware or active as he should have been.

I think its a great characterization. However, thats just not what people want to see in their comic book movies. They want things clearly right or clearly wrong.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t think Coogler would want any parts of that shyt so we should be good on that front.

One of my issues is that I don’t want Black Panther 2 to end up as a backdoor Namor part 1. fukk all that. Black Panther needs to be THE GUY in BP2 while also continuing to establish Wakanda and the supporting cast. You throw Namor in and you’ve got to include HIS backstory, mythos, and all that. fukk Namor’s mythos i’m here for T’CHALLA

This is the primary reason I don't want storm or namor; They've haven't really fleshed out T'Challa's character and they've done a great job at world-building with Wakanda and it's people. I much rather see them keep it self contained and save the namor stuff for a avengers film or maybe the 3rd if they do enough with this one.

I actually think that would have been too obvious. The truth is they made T'Challa a lot like Killmonger....just real dudes. He was conflicted at every turn and every scene. Boseman just played it uber subtle.

If anything it showed that being too passive/going with the flow can have life punch you in the face outta nowhere. He was grieving so he wasn't as aware or active as he should have been.

I think its a great characterization. However, thats just not what people want to see in their comic book movies. They want things clearly right or clearly wrong.

I thought it was a awful characterization, for a african prince being raised to be a king, had deer in headlights syndrome the whole film, the big reveal didn't have as much of an impact since T'Challa really didn't change at all.

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Has Coolger even started the script yet?:russ: They really trying to force Namor or Storm big time. :picard:

Word is Namor is a Hulk situation where he can't get his own movie but they can use him in other movies. They may be looking to establish him before F4.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word is Namor is a Hulk situation where he can't get his own movie but they can use him in other movies. They may be looking to establish him before F4.

Oh yeah I know that. I was talking about the media/rumor mill folks. :mjlol:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

Nahh breh, the characterization i described is real world shyt. We see it all the time with how kids are raised in households, especially of privilege. That's the truth of it. How great Boseman executed the characterization is different than speaking on the characterization itself. And to keep it a buck, there was nothing unpredictable about T'Challa's "subtle" character arc in the movie.. so i'd take some of the more "obvious" (like those deleted scenes) because it adds a fuller picture to his character.

Killmonger wasn't conflicted at every turn; nygga knew exactly what he wanted to do. Nor is it about generalizing that people want it clearly one way or another, it's just calling the ish for what it is: I thought Boseman was great but i also see what they were trying to do (and avoid doing) based on the Killmonger character