Official March Madness 2023 thread

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
For people who don't follow women's basketball, I will explain how Iowa was able to win.

1. South Carolina wins with depth, size and defense. They only had 2 players average double figures. Boston wasn't the leading scorer. They wear teams down with physicality and depth. They're not a high scoring team, but they hold teams to under 60 points.

2. Iowa knew they wasn't going to out rebound them. which means South Carolina was going to get more shots. They countered by picking up the pace of play and when South Carolina scored, they immediately pushed the ball before their defense could set up. South Carolina is a half court team on offense and defense. They either drive for a close shot or throw the ball in the post.

3. Iowa didn't defend the 3 point shooters, because South Carolina isn't a three point team. And they shoot poorly from the field. They played it by the numbers. It was better to give up low percentage shots than have to defend their front court players and risk giving up easier shots, or worse, offensive rebounds, put backs and the foul.

Honestly Dawn had cracked the code, if they don't run up on the most uniquely talented female in the game they probably stream roll to another chip

Daps
For people who don't follow women's basketball, I will explain how Iowa was able to win.

1. South Carolina wins with depth, size and defense. They only had 2 players average double figures. Boston wasn't the leading scorer. They wear teams down with physicality and depth. They're not a high scoring team, but they hold teams to under 60 points.

2. Iowa knew they wasn't going to out rebound them. which means South Carolina was going to get more shots. They countered by picking up the pace of play and when South Carolina scored, they immediately pushed the ball before their defense could set up. South Carolina is a half court team on offense and defense. They either drive for a close shot or throw the ball in the post.

3. Iowa didn't defend the 3 point shooters, because South Carolina isn't a three point team. And they shoot poorly from the field. They played it by the numbers. It was better to give up low percentage shots than have to defend their front court players and risk giving up easier shots, or worse, offensive rebounds, put backs and the foul.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they ran this exact same game plan against LSU.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I wouldn’t be surprised if they ran this exact same game plan against LSU.
In the limited time I saw LSU (:whoa:) the guardplay seemed better so I don't know if it'll work as well. I'd also think they wouldn't throw out the same defensive gameplan which opened up the game for the other iowa players.

I think they'll have to find a way to deny angel and force their other 4 into taking jumpers deep in the shot clock and then taking quick shots on the other end

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
In the limited time I saw LSU (:whoa:) the guardplay seemed better so I don't know if it'll work as well. I'd also think they wouldn't throw out the same defensive gameplan which opened up the game for the other iowa players.

I think they'll have to find a way to deny angel and force their other 4 into taking jumpers deep in the shot clock and then taking quick shots on the other end
SC smacked LSU just last month.
It woulda been closer, but SC wins that matchup again

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Clark got a Covid year. If I was her, I'm staying 2 more years and breaking all the records. Win a College 3 Peat and make $10 Million in NIL because going to the WNBA is like going to Siberia.

Iowa’s Caitlin Clark Considering Playing Five College Seasons​

This is actually interesting. She literally would stand to profit more and get more viewership playing in college than in the wnba.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This low key reminded me of Hoop Dreams when Arthur led Marshall against King High school.

King was better on paper and had a MUCH bigger squad but Marshall was just carving them up.

Have any teams tried the Iowa strategy against SC? Obviously having someone like CC makes a big difference because she can get buckets and find open shooters....but you'd think someone would have tried this before. They looked like a team that couldn't hit a shot outside 12 feet.
They have tried but how many teams in women's college basketball have had a scorer like Clark?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
But it separates, the feminine straight women from the dykes.

They're trying to stand out.

And it would be another black women saying some dumb shyt like that.
South Carolina is known for doing that. The straight girls like to do little small things to let you know they are straight and they like dikk. It's been like that since A'ja. Dawn let's them do it as long as they all on the same page.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Paige was far more skilled as a freshman but Paige game is like Iverson with range. Where she's using handles, quickness, and speed but them injuries got her ass bad. Caitlin just kept developing. She was always a shooter with insane range but she developed the handles, agility, strength, and more confidence. Van Lith and Paige was ahead of Clark as freshman.

Paige was National POY as a sophomore...she was ahead of Caitlyn last yr

UConn is gonna be nasty next season when she returns. Even if she's 90% of her soph yr, UConn should be far & away the best team. Dawn Staley (Philly's own) alluded to this in a press conference last weekend.

All I know is I got Uconn, LSU & Iowa as 3 of my final 4 teams next season

And for the brehs who just started following the women's tournament, for the past 15 yrs, the women's tournament has been better than the men's...more drama, better star play, great coaching, more passion

Makes no sense why the wnba is a trash product when the women's tourney is so good

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
220px-Great_white_hype_ver2.jpg
does that work in women's sports though? in men's sports a team like iowa with almost no black players couldn't win anything.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because they been Deebo'n teams in the paint all year.

Aliyah Boston ain't who I thought she was. Dawn got all these damn giants and no real shooters. Funny because she didn't need any all season until this game.

I actually think LSU a live dog on Sunday. Reese will do anything she wants in the paint and will be happy she dont have to deal Carolinas bigs.

Iowa ain't gonna leave Alexis Morris like that.
So lsu is a better team then sc?