Official Lovecraft Country Thread

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Bruh it looks like they got a Window 98 rendering engine.
This is some all time bad CGI in this series.
HBO had to give them a prove and see budget.
But if you're gonna do horror based stuff and your scary parts are gonna be CGI they have to be realistic or else you just end up laughing at it. Got shyt outchea lookin like Michael Jai White Spawn
:mjlol:
When that head emerged from the pictures I'm like :snoop: That looked terrible. I think less CGI is better in horror. Or just go with the first person view from the ghost, so we're looking at the real characters from the ghosts perspective and you can avoid a cringy part until they want to splurge on the budget

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
When that head emerged from the pictures I'm like :snoop: That looked terrible. I think less CGI is better in horror. Or just go with the first person view from the ghost, so we're looking at the real characters from the ghosts perspective and you can avoid a cringy part until they want to splurge on the budget

Right.
I can't take it serious it's so bad all I end up doing is laughing

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Uncle George’s girl.

That thing was poking in that yellow dress.

:whoo:
Just realized Uncle G's old lady is Sista Girl from Undercover Brother
Hippolyta-Aunjanue-Ellis-and-George-Courtney-B.-Vance-Lovecraft-Country-Season-1-Episode-1-Sundown-Series-Premiere-scaled.jpg

original-film-title-undercover-brother-english-title-undercover-brother-film-director-malcolm-d-lee-year-2002-stars-aunjanue-ellis-credit-universal-pictures-album-P0XCFK.jpg

Last edited:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Ep 1: 9.5/10
Ep 2: 3/10

If this episode wasnt at least a 7/10 I was gonna consider moving on to something else. Thats how disappointed I was after the 2nd episode. But Im back for good. Giving this an 8.5/10. I really like the parts where Atticus is talking about how Leti wasnt dealing with the pain. So many shows have deaths and the next episode characters are forgotten and the plot rolls on. Glad they didnt do Unc like that, even though he's only been in 2 episodes. Still wish he could have survived, he was a great addition to the show but I get it. Glad the mutilated were made whole again and could rest in piece.

And those horns blaring for a week while everyone was just business as usual was some excellent television :laff: Showed how vile and petty those cacs were.

Only flaws were..
-The demon cac CGI that first appeared when she put the pictures together looked pretty bad.
-Maybe a flashback from George's wife's perspective of how they told her what happened.
-Not sure how Leti got out of the paddy wagon with the cops. Were they just trying to rough her up? Seems like their racist selves would have booked her on charges and had her in jail? Maybe I missed something

Ep 3: 8.5/10

Next episode looks incredible as well :leon:
Based upon some of the early reviews, Uncle G's wife is getting her own episode. They say she's a major character in the book, and in the trailer they showed a scene of her with that solar system that she found.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The CGI is rough at times but you don't get cinematography like this on network television. I couldn't care less about the CGI because the cinematography is beautifully done :banderas:

Feel the same way.

I can forgive the CGI because the rest of it is shot beautifully
I don’t understand the hate towards the “Monster of the Week” formula. Episodic storytelling is a good thing. Telling smaller-scale stories while building towards the climax keeps the show fresh from week-to-week so that the plot isn’t just spinning its wheels the entire time until it’s time for the finale.

Agreed

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I agree wholeheartedly with the CGI complaint. Not just for this show, in general. I much prefer practical effects like in The Thing or Dead Alive. Runs the risk of looking goofy when done wrong as well but it keeps me grounded in reality. CGI monsters are always a let down. Having said that, I loved this episode. May even say it's my favorite yet but that's because Jurnee Smollett is my favorite on the show. Her acting is phenomenal. I also am okay with the fact that there will be a different main character for each episode. So I guess Atticus got the first two, Letitia was the 3rd, next episode looks like it's back to the central plot so I'm sure Atticus will be taking the lead again. I'm excited for next week.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
They almost lost me after the 2nd episode but I'm aboard for the full ride :mjgrin:

Tick need to gon head and level up.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
it almost seems to me like the cheesy CGI is an artistic choice, to have it on some Tales From the Hood, ridiculous stuff, instead of super-realistic.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Misha Green & her team have been hiding some of Easter eggs/references to ADOS culture in these episodes.
Here are the ones that I caught in this episode (feel free to add any that I missed):
- In the scene with Emmitt Till & George's daughter using the ouija board, the other little boy's name was Gil. Gil Scott-Heron was a Chicago native, and his music was used in the first episode.
- The cops torturing Lettie in the paddy wagon was a reference to Freddie Gray's murder.
-After Lettie disabled the car horns, Ruby drove off with the weapons and everybody else quickly got in position to deal with the pigs. That's not really an Easter egg, I just love how they show us staying on code each episode.
- George had a can of Murray's grease on his dresser. Again, not really an Easter egg, just a nice Black cultural reference.
-One of Lettie's tenants is a novelist with a dog named Baldwin.
-The Black ghosts never harmed Lettie. They killed those evil white boys quick. Again, Black people staying on code, even from the spirit plane.