Official Judas And The Black Messiah Thread

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
My only issue is they made the rat have a sympathetic story line. It made him seem like he was against all the shyt he was doing . He wasn’t even facing a long sentence. We all know that wasn’t true. His documentary clip he doesn’t even sound the slightest bit apologetic,
You don’t think him committing suicide shows how bad he regretted it?

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Dope flick. As always though the ending makes me sick to my stomach and seeing that rat ass c00n at the end made me wanna spit on my tv. Stories like these will forever make me think j.Edgar Hoover was as big of a devil as hitler. At least for blacks. The thought of us even having a semblance of power among ourselves put so much fear in this man fukking soul. I truly wish that man ate a bullet instead of dying of a heart attack.

curz

Don of all Dons
Daps
Reppin
Dade
My only issue is they made the rat have a sympathetic story line. It made him seem like he was against all the shyt he was doing . He wasn’t even facing a long sentence. We all know that wasn’t true. His documentary clip he doesn’t even sound the slightest bit apologetic,
This^

here’s the problem, you can’t copy The Departed template for this kind of story. The Departed was a made up story. Leo was infiltrating a fukking mob, criminals, scumbags. They don’t require humanization. Jack Nicholson is a exaggeration of Whitey Bulger, he doesn’t need humanization. Leo is the protagonist without question in that movie.

to use that same method to tell this real life story of the rat that helped kill Fred Hampton and the BP was a mistake in my opinion.

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A

I didn't get that. I didn't feel a sympathetic storyline of O'Neal. And that mightve been the problem. It was touched on but not enough to really dive into O'Neals motives.. I didn't feel any type of character development either, beyond him being afraid of being exposed..

This^

here’s the problem, you can’t copy The Departed template for this kind of story. The Departed was a made up story. Leo was infiltrating a fukking mob, criminals, scumbags. They don’t require humanization. Jack Nicholson is a exaggeration of Whitey Bulger, he doesn’t need humanization. Leo is the protagonist without question in that movie.

to use that same method to tell this real life story of the rat that helped kill Fred Hampton and the BP was a mistake in my opinion.

If the were using the blueprint of the departed it wasn't done good enough. I don't think it would've been a mistake at all. At least with Leo, and Jack and Mark and Matt you got a real sense of who these (fictional) guys were by way of the different complexities of each character.

I don't mean to sound like I'm tearing down everything about Judas because I'm not I thought it was good.. I just wanted it to be great, and it wasn't :francis:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Watched it last night.. really good overall. Some really good performances in this. I will say that Kaluuya attempt on Chicago-Mississippi drawl/cadence was hard to understand at times -damn near needed subtitles in certain spots. But him, Stanfield, Dominque Fishback, and Plemons were excellent at the end of the day. I wanted to see Lil Rel Howery's character get more screen time and fleshed out more. He would've added a lot more depth to the plot instead of the usual evil white characters to rely on as antagonist. Also not sure if they used the word "nicca" as frequently back then as they do now- some of the dialog/talk seemed off. But this is fire no doubt! Amazing cinematography, soundtrack, and scoring! HBO/Warner did it with this one

Last edited:

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't get that. I didn't feel a sympathetic storyline of O'Neal. And that mightve been the problem. It was touched on but not enough to really dive into O'Neals motives.. I didn't feel any type of character development either, beyond him being afraid of being exposed..

If the were using the blueprint of the departed it wasn't done good enough. I don't think it would've been a mistake at all. At least with Leo, and Jack and Mark and Matt you got a real sense of who these (fictional) guys were by way of the different complexities of each character.

I don't mean to sound like I'm tearing down everything about Judas because I'm not I thought it was good.. I just wanted it to be great, and it wasn't :francis:
The FBI agent says something along the lines of either you deserve a Emmy for your acting or your starting to believe in his movement.
Then the scene where he is about to administer the drug dude has a face like he is about to cry. They portrayed it like he was completely against being accessory to his murder. At one point he even threatens go on the run to avoid continue working as a informant. They made it seem like big brother had to coerce him into going along with their plans. Then the movie ends and says he stayed a paid informant for another decade :francis:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
@portcityplaya I think I've figured out why this didnt hit as emotionally with you and others (I could very well be wrong though)

The score. Sometimes an AMAZING score can lift a movie another 1 to 1.5 points on your rating. This movie really needed a dope ass score. Think Dead Presidents how that score just pierced that movie even though the film kind of meandered.

Surprised Ryan didnt let Ludwig score this film, but Shaka King was probably trying to put his people on.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The performances from Daniel Kaluuya, LaKeith Stanfield and Dominique Fishback were all great but this was one of those movies where the acting overcame the deficiencies in the script and the banality of the direction.
There was a scattershot episodic nature to how this movie was filmed that just didn't work for me and there were so many roles in this movie that were barely fleshed out ciphers instead of fully formed characters.
But again, the acting was more than good enough to overcome a lot of that.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I watched about 30 minutes before I turned it off. From what I saw it seemed pretty good tho, but I just didn't feel like being angry today. I'll finish it at another time.:ehh:

It's definitely triggering. It makes me think had the FBI and the Chicago PD just left Fred Hampton alone, I strongly believe the problems that exist in Chicago today wouldn't exist.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
@portcityplaya I think I've figured out why this didnt hit as emotionally with you and others (I could very well be wrong though)

The score. Sometimes an AMAZING score can lift a movie another 1 to 1.5 points on your rating. This movie really needed a dope ass score. Think Dead Presidents how that score just pierced that movie even though the film kind of meandered.

Surprised Ryan didnt let Ludwig score this film, but Shaka King was probably trying to put his people on.

Nah I don't think it was that. Even though a better score might have made some moments feel bigger than they were.
I think it was mostly in the script.
Its one of those things where you know how the movie is going to end when its announced but really take me there. And there just wasn't enough conflict in it to really make me feel one way or another. To me conflict builds tension and makes you sit up a lil bit ya know?
Like the scene that pissed me off the most (not that I'm trying to be pissed off but it made me feel something) was the clip from the doc with the real Bill. I think they shoulda found a way to include that smugness in his character. It would have added a layer to him.

And one more point that I think they missed on was they never made it a point to hammer home just how young Fred was. It makes it that more tragic but him that more larger than life to really hammer home that he's only 21. That also adds a layer to things.

But again idk how much of this they're trying to stick as close to the true happenings or not.