Official Judas And The Black Messiah Thread

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
I can definitely see how this was inspired by The Departed and as a crime thriller it mostly works but the movie is lacking in character development and as a result the historic aspect of the film comes off as a quick run through of the events that led to Fred Hamptons assassination. It doesn't matter what the writers/directors intents were when you make a film depicting real historic events folks are going to have certain expectations about it and rightfully so... especially when these stories are rarely done right.

Outside of that acting in this film was top notch.. Kaluuya is solid, but I couldn't understand what he was saying at times. Jesse Plemons was the big surprise for me tho the scenes with him and Stanfield were some of the best in the movie.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
And also how tf this sorry ass lil rel nikka get a gig with Lakieth and Kalyua in every film they in?
:wtf:
nikka might be the goat weed carrier surpassing spliff star out this bytch cause he's an awful talent yet is in everything they're in somehow :dahell:
He actually had one of the better scenes in this though :skip:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Man, I noticed this shyt when The Photograph came out. Black people are hyper-critical when it comes to black films. I had to start checking myself and noticing ways I was even doing the shyt. You have cats on this very board that go out their way to find and post negative reviews of black films. You would think that the black community is teeming with film directors and writers how we can go on and on about how much we hated a black film :wow:.
Or we could be grown ups and realize that every other relationship in that film had better chemistry than Lakeith's and Issa's. The Photograph was just ok and that's OK. Every Black film doesn't need to be a moment in time.

But ironically, for a film trying to depict a moment in time, you'd think Black Messiah would go deeper with it.

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Movie was cool. A little underwhelming but a well produced flick. Great scoring, and the sequencing along with the pace was solid ...Some of the dialogue between 2 characters felt drawn out and unnecessary. Ny expectations were probably too high :francis:

It basically felt like an American Gangster remix starring Fred Hampton. And LaKeith was like Russell Crowe type character- being the middle man for Meth Damon/The Police.

Last edited:

baker928

Pro
Daps
A reason for the seemingly mixed reaction is that for a lot of people they had little to no knowledge of the story. From what I'm seeing, most of the people that rated the movie lower already know the story going in. I had little knowledge of the real story, its one of those things I heard in passing but never really looked into. One thing about a movie like this is at least more people will know/research about what happened. Similar to the people who learned of the Tulsa massacre through Watchmen.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I liked it. 8.5/10, the performances especially were top notch.
Stanfield
Fishback
Kaluuya
Sanders
Plemons
Thorne
They all did their thing. Stanfield especially, I did want to know what Bill was doing, how he was living prior to getting knocked.
The horns call back after O'Niell was talking to Lil' Rel was dope, that gave me chills.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I thought the assassination part was good. Though from what I've read in Black Panther books it could have been even more gripping.

But Daniel just doesn't have the IT factor. And its not just because he's a foreigner. Franklin from Snowfall would have killed this. Movie has it moments with action which is cool. But overall I found myself bored with the supporting cast and thr dialogue. On my phone too many times which is bad. Overall to me WB is 0 for 3. They get better with each movie Black Messiah>Little Things>WW84. But none were great.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
This movie gets a 7. Kaluuya didn't really hit as Hampton. And it felt like they were trying to humanize Bell and FBI agent a bit too much. The movie focused too much on those two. In fact, I may drop this movie to a 6.5.

Well produced, but not what I'm hoping for in a Fred Hampton flick. At least it wasn't as bad as the harriet tubman movie.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, I noticed this shyt when The Photograph came out. Black people are hyper-critical when it comes to black films. I had to start checking myself and noticing ways I was even doing the shyt. You have cats on this very board that go out their way to find and post negative reviews of black films. You would think that the black community is teeming with film directors and writers how we can go on and on about how much we hated a black film :wow:.

Anyways, it’s a good movie. It’s not an autobiography. It’s well directed with intricate cinematography, and I really respect the direction choice of not showing Fred being shot. It’s a heavy subject, but it’s handled tastefully. Unlike seemingly most of y’all, I thought Lakeith was great. I’ll say 7.5 outta 10.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Black folks holding Black films to the same standard they hold white films. I personally thought the Photograph was boring af and Issa and Lakeith had no chemistry

Having said that I think a lot of Black folks have a tendency to judge a Black film based on how well they think the movie represents Black people or Black history rather than the actual filmmaking quality. And that’s where I get frustrated at times. I get that Black artists shoulder a certain responsibility when they’re telling Black stories but I think first and foremost any artist should be judged by their art. It would be like an Italian person calling Goodfellas, The Godfather and the Sopranos trash films because they exhibited negative stereotypes about Italians