Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

chico25

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hold on... HOLD IT... let me stop you right there. See, you are kinda revealing a lot here in this discussion. See, I said Aquaman made more than Captain Marvel because Captain Marvel is a franchise player in the MCU and everyone agreed that Cap Marvel was a huge success. So my point was look.. Aquaman was also a huge success..

But you took what I said and thought I was going a "stan" route with it and I wasn't. My comparison was valid because both movies came out around the same time and it was a point to prove that Aquaman did exceedingly well despite some here apparently trying to argue against that and push a narrative that it didn't...

And again, you are bringing up old shyt. Could Batman vs. Superman made more money? Sure, I don't know how much more. It made as much as Spider Man with Iron Man and those are two flagship characters so what more do they need. Maybe $875M should have been $1.2 billion? Maybe? So what?

You are continuing to bring up points that are irrelevant to the future of the studio. Batman was DEAD once before, remember? After the Jim Carrey movie the property was dead.... Nolan brought it back and adjusted for inflation it is still one of the biggest comic book franchises to date. You are acting like Batman can't be brought back. :laugh:

Also by your definition Wonder Woman is a flagship character. She is part of the trinity.

How is Captain Marvel a franchise player in the MCU when she just made her first film appearances this year, at best she would be rookie of the year. The rest of your post is an attempt to ignore the recent history of DC in order to act as though the there aren't problems with their film studio. They had one good year with plans on the horizon. They've had plans that looked good on paper before and they were scrapped. Let's see how things turn out with this film before we say that all their problems are behind them.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
How is Captain Marvel a franchise player in the MCU when she just made her first film appearances this year, at best she would be rookie of the year. The rest of your post is an attempt to ignore the recent history of DC in order to act as though the there aren't problems with their film studio. They had one good year with plans on the horizon. They've had plans that looked good on paper before and they were scrapped. Let's see how things turn out with this film before we say that all their problems are behind them.

1. Feige has been clear that Captain Marvel is a top 3 character moving forward
2. I'm "ignoring" the Justice League fallout because it's no longer relevant
3. You say "they" have had plans before and scrapped them. Again, this is my main point here... It's not the same people. You said "They". Who are you referring to? It's an entirely new set of executives. There is no "they". That's why this whole debate is a dead issue.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is a dead talking point. First of all @Roid Jones has no idea what he's talking about. Suicide Squad made over $700M on a budget that wasn't too crazy. That is more than a lot of comic book movies and it also sold a lot merchandise and other shyt.

IF it was a complete fail like he said Margot Robbie wouldn't be handed the keys to make a Harley Quinn spin off. Obviously. There is no disputing that.

There is also no disputing that Wonder Woman and Aquaman were both huge successes and Shazam did well for what it is.

If you wanna talk about the Justice League situation go head but what does it have to do with what is going on currently? It's an entirely different company. AT&T merged with Warner Bros. All the executives are different. Their plan for future DC films is different. That's why it's a dead talking point.

It's like when people say oh this football team hasn't won in Chicago in 10 years. What's the point of the stat when it's completely different players?

See this is why I'm one of the most level headed posters in the film room. :manny:

You have not countered anything that I have said, but it's ok you just keep rambling on about 'financials'

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't lose arguments based in fact because I don't deal in hypothetical. You had no answers, you are clueless. You actually thought SS was a flop, a movie that made over $750M, never post in here again. :pachaha:

The fact your arguments are only based on figures shows how much of a clown you are, fronting like you know about the movie industry :mjlol:bytch I told you keep that white flag flying high

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Just to (hopefully) end this argument:

Suicide Squad's production budget (including marketing+promotion) was around $325 million

Suicide Squad made around $750 million worldwide at the box office

Suicide Squad also pulled in almost $100 million in the secondary market (DVD/Blu-ray etc)

Now take those numbers, do your own personal calculations and figure out if the movie was profitable or not.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Just to (hopefully) end this argument:

Suicide Squad's production budget (including marketing+promotion) was around $325 million

Suicide Squad made around $750 million worldwide at the box office

Suicide Squad also pulled in almost $100 million in the secondary market (DVD/Blu-ray etc)

Now take those numbers, do your own personal calculations and figure out if the movie was profitable or not.

And also read the article where Deadline showed just how profitable Suicide Squad was. :manny:

The film nonetheless grossed $325 million domestic and $420 million foreign for a perfectly respectable $745 million total on a $175 million production cost. Our experts peg the Participations, Residuals and Off-The-Tops at nearly $60 million, understandable given the marquee names and filmmaker. Still, Warner Bros came away with $158 million net profit and a Cash on Cash Return of 1.34. That is fine for a franchise launch, and the film did better than Marvel’s launch of Doctor Strange. As the architects of Warner Bros and DC’s superhero machine continue to hone the formula, there is encouraging evidence of a ravenous audience just waiting to be wowed.

These idiots on here really think they gonna tell me something too :mjgrin:

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
I can't believe guys here are arguing about the fact that until the last three or four movies the DC Universe has severely underachieved.

What they've done to this universe yes they righted the ship but overall has been pretty indefensible.

They need a lot more

WW
Aquaman
Shazam!

For like 3 straight years to slowly wash the stench off. I'm hopeful.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
There is a big difference between having

22 flicks connected that took their time over 11 years

And had a few stinkers
IM2
IM3
Thor 2
AOU

And some average/mediocre joints

Thor 1
Ant man 1 and 2
Captain Marvel

But kept the machine moving like long good book with a few bad chapters with a monumental payoff ( with a shyt ton more to come) always waiting in the wings vs a chaotic at best, dark, destructive music video filled cring worthy BVS and JL with no build-up and tossing everything at the kitchen sink and hoping the name sells that bad boy.

I think DC has much better villians and more risk taking opportunity. The recent moves give me hope.