Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I personally would like to see some comic stuff in the movie. But in my original comment being completely original does not automatically make it 'bad' just harder to make good IMO. I really hope they give us something good/great.
Well this movie is going to have a certain loss in audience just because it isn't what people consider a standard modern comic book movie. It is basically a dark character driven drama from all appearances which kind of makes it a hard sell for the regular CBM audience from jump.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Well this movie is going to have a certain loss in audience just because it isn't what people consider a standard modern comic book movie. It is basically a dark character driven drama from all appearances which kind of makes it a hard sell for the regular CBM audience from jump.

Maybe because it will be dark it will make it less of a kid audience who are into superheroes, but this is the Joker, a very iconic and popular character. I think the general CBM audience will be very into this.

God Almighty

Your Lord
Daps
what if we're just being trolled by a superior being
giphy.gif
You are.

Bc8jjyL.gif

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is the best origin comic book movie that completely ignored the source material?
What comic book movies have been made about characters with no set origin.

If the movie is bad or average people will say, "Why didn't they just use story X, Y or Z! It was right there to be adapted instead you did this A, B or C bullshyt!" You know how people say BvS should have been World's Finest?

If he did X, people would complain it's not Y or Z. If he did Y, people would complain about him not doing X or Z. We got a bunch of comic book movies that changed a ton of shyt and still got love.

Freedom is overrated IMO. Many writers say circumstances, rules and parameters force them to be even more creative. When you have complete control a lot of time you wind up making a movie you want to see personally and not something for the existing fans of the character.
What rules should there be in making an origin story for someone who has no set origin story? Taking the origin story of someone that had freedom to create an origin story for someone that didn't have a set origin?

Oh is he a comedian in this? I did not know that.
:unimpressed:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Uh, I disagree completely, if only because CBM audiences are so goddamn desperate for any sort of validation of their precious comic book culture that they'll eat this up. If anyone it will be casuals (folks who watch every MCU movie but were shocked to see Mysterio turn heel in Spider-Man because they don't know shyt about the source material) who will complain about this, and even they might be Nolan'd into believing that "serious, grounded" approach is automatically equal to a "great movie".

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Uh, I disagree completely, if only because CBM audiences are so goddamn desperate for any sort of validation of their precious comic book culture that they'll eat this up. If anyone it will be casuals (folks who watch every MCU movie but were shocked to see Mysterio turn heel in Spider-Man because they don't know shyt about the source material) who will complain about this, and even they might be Nolan'd into believing that "serious, grounded" approach is automatically equal to a "great movie".
I can see some comic fans/CBM nerds who will be hyping this up to crazy levels and who have probably already written their Medium pieces about how this is the greatest CBM ever and should be nominated for all the Oscars just because of their own insecurities.
However I don't think an R-rated comic book movie that isn't presenting as fantastical or including much in the way of comic book sensibilities will have the box office of other R-rated CBMs like Logan or Deadpool.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
I read most of the script, it's pretty good :ehh: the movie isn't a "Gamers Rise Up!" film either despite what some cats have been saying. I believe their were 3 different endings but I like the one they went with.

Also I don't get the problem with not following the comics when Joker doesn't have a definite origin to begin with unlike Superman, Peter Parker, Batman etc.
This is why I don't have a problem with them not following the comics this movie is just going to be another possible origin for the Joker. :yeshrug: