Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Joaquin is long overdue, everyone knows this. To many strong performances in his catalog. Plus they made it a point to make this a "Grounded" Comic film. It really does look like if Scorsese did a comic book movie from the 80's. Honestly this is what I always liked about DC. They take risk doing darker subject matter. Jack got nominated for a Golden Globe for Batman 89 plus the movie won Oscars. Heath won the Globe and Oscar plus "Dark Knight" won other Oscars. "Suicide Squad" even got an Oscar for Makeup/hair so anytime the Joker is in a film. This character always seems to get critical acclaim from the award season. I'm not shocked by the reviews because Joaquin doesn't play, he really becomes the character.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
You don't need a hero to be a villain. I am cool watching a "There Will Be Blood"-esque descent into madness and whatever consequences come of that. You want to have nods to the overall mythos, go ahead, but I'm good with just The Joker:yeshrug:

Pretty much breh and from watching the trailer it did seem like they are delving into Gotham and more importantly the politics of Gotham. That's usually what allows Joker to operate as he does because he's so hooked into the seedy politics of Gotham at the government level and the mafia level.

This movie looks pretty much exactly how I'd imagine his origin to be and shyt.. some of his origins out there do seem similar to this movie too which we've already discussed at length.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Exactly.

Noah Hawley said he's written an origin story for Dr. Doom where it's basically just a character study movie for 2 hours or whatever. That sounds dope as fukk to me. But I don't know if Marvel is ready to do something like that in the MCU.

Fred.
Doom needs a solo movie. His motivations are compelling enough to carry us to that point where he dons the armor and cape at the very end. With that said, I do feel you would at least need Reed Richards in the film; not to play a hero but to be the source of Victor's consuming jealousy and drive(besides his gypsy childhood). In fact, Marvel could do something different and have a villain movie be the first look at a new superhero/super team(like a reverse Civil War):ohhh:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Doom needs a solo movie. His motivations are compelling enough to carry us to that point where he dons the armor and cape at the very end. With that said, I do feel you would at least need Reed Richards in the film; not to play a hero but to be the source of Victor's consuming jealousy and drive(besides his gypsy childhood). In fact, Marvel could do something different and have a villain movie be the first look at a new superhero/super team(like a reverse Civil War):ohhh:

There was always the potential there to make a classic Doom/Fantastic Four movie. There's never been a team willing to strive for anything beyond super camp and super corny.

No lie.. some of my favorite comics of all time are FF stories and Doom has many classic story line arcs. It's an incredible character... just like Magneto. They could do a Magneto and Charles Xavier movie set in World War II and concentration camps that would be godly...

They could also do an X-Men movie in general that mirrors Civil Rights. There's a ton of different things they could do with those characters that would be very interesting.

But enough about that :manny:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Well there's one other thing here and I don't know if @hex saw this or not but when you have some critics calling it a 'masterpiece' sure that might help during award season and you look at the RT average and over 9.0 right now is very high but who cares?? It's not the end all be all of the discussion, it's actually more impressive that it's in the run for the Golden Lion at Venice because those are the types of people in film whose opinions would more likely line up with those of the Academy.

Nah I had no idea. I don't follow critics or awards or anything like that.

I browse threads on here to get a feel for a movie. Don't really pay attention to any one person's opinion....more just to see what the general consensus is....but my main go to for this sort of thing is the guys I grew up with, that I've known 30-35 years. They rarely steer me wrong.

Having said that they aren't as knowledgeable as I am about movies and virtually none of them check for foreign movies unless I give them a heads up. So I mostly just check their opinion for mainstream stuff.

Fred.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Nah I had no idea. I don't follow critics or awards or anything like that.

I browse threads on here to get a feel for a movie. Don't really pay attention to any one person's opinion....more just to see what the general consensus is....but my main go to for this sort of thing is the guys I grew up with, that I've known 30-35 years. They rarely steer me wrong.

Having said that they aren't as knowledgeable as I am about movies and virtually none of them check for foreign movies unless I give them a heads up. So I mostly just check their opinion for mainstream stuff.

Fred.

Just saw RT gave Chappelles special 0% :russ:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
High 80s RT with only 30 reviews makes me think it won't be the critical darling some think this is headed towards. RT scores go down not up the more people get to see and review it. This will probably end up being a low 80s/high 70s which is totally fresh and makes me want to see it, but awards and all that is not that likely if you care about stuff like that. Looking forward to it nonetheless.
Green Book won Best Picture last year and it's RT score is 78% and 4 of the last 5 Best Actor winners won for movies that had RT scores in the 70s-80s.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't read critic reviews unless something is posted here but I do follow film festivals and the award season because the process has put me on to so much piff over the years that I otherwise would not have known existed.... :whew:

Yeah I follow film festivals and stuff like that.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Just saw RT gave Chappelles special 0% :russ:

RT doesn't "give" anyone anything. It's a site that collects reviews from websites, publications, newspapers, magazines, etc.. @MartyMcFly has been trying to explain this on here for years now. Most critics don't review everything. In fact, it would be impossible for a critic to review every movie, TV show, etc. because there's way too much content. That's why RT exists or at least in its original form because it gives people an idea of what they might want to check for.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
So we're gonna have another one of these at a cinema
original

The world is not a safe place in general. You can't go to work, school, a concert, the club, Walmart, or even a McDonalds without worrying about some nut job walking in with a weapon and getting shot now. I'm going to live my life though because otherwise these crazy motherfukkers like the idiot pictured above win. :yeshrug:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Sound like some of y'all just scared. :martin:

"They made a convincing villain origin story brehs :sadcam:"

"The incel cacs I make fun of on the internet might buy a ticket brehs :to:"

"Society is gonna collapse before the credits roll brehs :sadbron:"

kagLJ8or_o.gif

I'm gonna roll up in that bytch on day one, watch the shyt, and dare a motherfukker to do something about it. Grown ass men scared of a comic book movie. :hhh: