Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
High 80s RT with only 30 reviews makes me think it won't be the critical darling some think this is headed towards. RT scores go down not up the more people get to see and review it. This will probably end up being a low 80s/high 70s which is totally fresh and makes me want to see it, but awards and all that is not that likely if you care about stuff like that. Looking forward to it nonetheless.

Not true. It has an average rating of 9.06 out of 10. That means the positive reviews are calling it a masterpiece. The Revenant was a 79% on RT and it didn't matter, it cleaned up during award season.

A few bad reviews wouldn't hurt it's chances for awards.

I actually do think it will receive some more bad reviews because there will be critics like the woman from TIME who share her opinion. But controversy could also help with box office.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Good point. But generally speaking critical reception matters when it comes to awards IMO.

Again, you're just basing this off a site that collects reviews, the film academy is going to sometimes line up with what critics say and sometimes not. These film academies are sometimes looking for something different than what an average reviewer might. Like, for example Joker is in the running for the Golden Lion this year.

Even though a film like Civil War received great reviews (and I thought it was a good movie myself so don't start with the stan war bullshyt) why would there be Oscar talk for it? You don't have to be a "film nerd" or connoisseur to see that there were no real standout acting performances or technical achievements or writing achievements.

Black Panther on the other hand did go above and beyond with set design and costume design and that's why it was nominated in those categories and the cast was well acted, the story was more than superheroes clashing into each other... Be smart man.. :hhh:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Because they don’t understand math or how reviews work. There ya go. And of course the need for validation

Well there's one other thing here and I don't know if @hex saw this or not but when you have some critics calling it a 'masterpiece' sure that might help during award season and you look at the RT average and over 9.0 right now is very high but who cares?? It's not the end all be all of the discussion, it's actually more impressive that it's in the run for the Golden Lion at Venice because those are the types of people in film whose opinions would more likely line up with those of the Academy.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Even a Magneto origin movie would spend a lot of time during the fukking Holocaust:picard:
I thought about him, but Magneto is the iconic "Well I don't disagree with his motives, I disagree with his means" character. Look at all the "Killmonger was right" narratives. Magneto fathered that. He has too sympathetic an origin, imo. I picked the guys I did because they're straight up irredeemable psychos. Imagine a 19th century period piece of Essex doing experiments on homeless people and ending with him meeting Apocalypse and becoming Mister Sinister:mjtf:
Cletus Kasady was reprehensible before the symbiote. His origin movie could be a straight up horror flick:damn:

Red Skull? Let's just say I'm pulling a Magic Johnson as far as seeing that in theaters:

tenor.gif

That's straight Redbox status, brehs:unimpressed:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Sad thing is this isn’t even a joker movie...it’s just a movie about a sociopath and his attempt to take over a city.

That's exactly who The Joker is though. :gucci:

Cats are acting like....I dunno, they took Dr. Doom or Darkseid and gave him this origin story.

Fred.

Daps

Cats are acting like....I dunno, they took Dr. Doom or Darkseid and gave him this origin story.

Fred.
There is much more to his character than that. Also, this is clearly just a studio taking advantage of the superhero craze and just using his name in a movie to promote it. If this has absolutely no correlation to the DC universe, why even use that character’s name?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

Fred.
If he doesn't deface a museum while playing Prince out of a boom box, or forces people into making impossible choices, it clearly cannot be the Joker, breh.:manny:

This movie so far removed from the comics it might as well be an Asylum Studios rip-off called The Jester. :troll:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
There is much more to his character than that. Also, this is clearly just a studio taking advantage of the superhero craze and just using his name in a movie to promote it. If this has absolutely no correlation to the DC universe, why even use that character’s name?

How does it have no correlation to the DC universe?

It has The Joker....it's in Gotham....it has Batman's father....from what I've heard, a young Bruce Wayne....plus who knows who/what else.

I don't understand how you can say "there's much more to the character" than this when:

1. You haven't seen the movie, so we have no idea how in depth they go.

2. There really isn't more to the character than this. The entire premise of the character is, given the right set of circumstances anyone can be The Joker. Hell, that was laid out in one of the most famous Batman stories.

Fred.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I'd argue a villain is more important to have in a superhero origin movie than a superhero being necessary in a villain origin. You're not really a superhero just because you put on the cape or a mask. Saving cats out of trees doesn't get the puters putin':francis:It doesn't have to be the bad guy who will go down as your greatest nemesis, but you have to face a genuine threat to be considered a superhero.

Again, this is pretty uncharted territory, but a villain is a villain based on deeds and motivation. You don't need a hero to be a villain. I am cool watching a "There Will Be Blood"-esque descent into madness and whatever consequences come of that. You want to have nods to the overall mythos, go ahead, but I'm good with just The Joker:yeshrug:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'd argue a villain is more important to have in a superhero origin movie than a superhero being necessary in a villain origin. You're not really a superhero just because you put on the cape or a mask. Saving cats out of trees doesn't get the puters putin':francis:It doesn't have to be the bad guy who will go down as your greatest nemesis, but you have to face a genuine threat to be considered a superhero.

Again, this is pretty uncharted territory, but a villain is a villain based on deeds and motivation. You don't need a hero to be a villain. I am cool watching a "There Will Be Blood"-esque descent into madness and whatever consequences come of that. You want to have nods to the overall mythos, go ahead, but I'm good with just The Joker:yeshrug:

Exactly.

Noah Hawley said he's written an origin story for Dr. Doom where it's basically just a character study movie for 2 hours or whatever. That sounds dope as fukk to me. But I don't know if Marvel is ready to do something like that in the MCU.

Fred.