Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
As I said before maybe it’s because I read the details I have a different take. None of what you just described him as is what I read. That’s why I talk about this movie being different. How is it Joker if he has the bare minimum of Joker’s qualities? I have more questions than answers. But like I said we will see everyone’s reaction in October when the full film comes out.
Again. Do you read comics? That’s a real question. Not being an a$$hole lol.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As I said before maybe it’s because I read the details I have a different take. None of what you just described him as is what I read. That’s why I talk about this movie being different. How is it Joker if he has the bare minimum of Joker’s qualities? I have more questions than answers. But like I said we will see everyone’s reaction in October when the full film comes out.
Your argument makes no sense logically :gucci: this is a movie is pretty much a elseworlds movie about a origin of the joker that’s it. Your stuck in talking about Batman and him being a criminal mastermind. Do you think your the only one who read about the movie ? I know what the plot is and so what ? I’m a comic reader for about 20 years at this point . This movie is in the spirit of the joker definitely and is even using elements of various joker origins . Do you think the red hood joker who fell into a vat of chemicals was a chemical mastermind ? There are so many iterations of the joker what is your point

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Rotten Tomatoes: 87% (30 Reviews, Average: 9.26/10)

Top Critics: 56% (9 Reviews, Average: 8.33/10)

Critics Consensus: Joker gives its infamous central character a chillingly plausible origin story that serves as a brilliant showcase for its star -- and a dark evolution for comics-inspired cinema.

Metacritic: 75 (18 Reviews)

A dazzlingly disturbed psycho morality play, one that speaks to the age of incels and mass shooters and no-hope politics, of the kind of hate that emerges from crushed dreams.

Owen Gleiberman, Variety

Not to discredit the imaginative vision of the writer-director, his co-scripter and invaluable tech and design teams, but Phoenix is the prime force that makes Joker such a distinctively edgy entry in the Hollywood comics industrial complex.

David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter

If you strip the Joker and his nearly 80-year history as a cultural icon out of this film, as well as all the 1970s movie homages, there's not a whole lot left except for Phoenix's performance, and it's the kind of turn that's destined to be divisive.

Alonso Duralde, TheWrap

Phoenix is all in and then some, a performance so dazzling risky and original you might as well start engraving his name on the Oscar right now. No joke, this is a movie — premiering today at the Venice Film Festival — unlike any other from the DC universe, and you will find it impossible to shake off. At least I did.

Pete Hammond, Deadline

Joaquin Phoenix's fully committed performance and Todd Phillips' masterful albeit loose reinvention of the DC source material make Joker a film that should leave comic book fans and non-fans alike disturbed and moved in all the right ways. 10/10

Jim Vejvoda, IGN

“Joker” is neither a game-changer nor just “another day in Chuckletown.” It’s both. It’s good enough to be dangerous, and bad enough to demand better. It’s going to turn the world upside down and make us all hysterical in the process. For better or worse, it’s exactly the movie the Joker would want

David Ehrlich, Indiewire

"Joker" is a dark, brooding and psychologically plausible origin story, a vision of cartoon sociopathy made flesh.

Justin Chang, LA Times

Having brazenly plundered the films of Scorsese, Phillips fashions stolen ingredients into something new, so that what began as a gleeful cosplay session turns progressively more dangerous - and somehow more relevant, too. 5/5

Xan Brooks, Guardian

Bold, devastating and utterly beautiful, Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix have not just reimagined one of the most iconic villains in cinema history, but reimagined the comic book movie itself. 5/5

Terri White, Empire

Superhero blockbuster this is not: a playful fireman's-pole-based homage to the old Batman television series is one of a very few lighthearted moments in an otherwise oppressively downbeat and reality-grounded urban thriller...

Robbie Collin, The Daily Telegraph

Phillips may want us to think he's giving us a movie all about the emptiness of our culture, but really, he's just offering a prime example of it.

Stephanie Zacharek, Time Magazine

Nobody who sees this new film will ever need any other version. 5/5

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
I'm 42 years old been collecting comics since 84 or 85 and I swear comic collector's does the most bytching

This movie is the Joker and took parts of Joker mythos and what is Joker Mythos, The Joker doesn't have an origin even Joker don't know his damn origin he's skitz, some shyt he made up about his origins what's the bytching about this not being a Joker Movie from some of y'all

That being said I watch all DC and Marvel Movies and shows and I'm watching this I take my son and teenage daughters to all the Comic movies, Comic shops a
but I'm leaving my son home for this movie just me and my teenage daughter in our Joker shirts.

About time DC do DC. DC is a Dark Universe and Us Older fans like Mature Comic Movies and Kid Friendly Marvel Movies also. But Iike Winter Soldier, Logan BVS, MOS, Batman Trilogy more.

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I am willing to be proven wrong on this when the movie comes out, but I’ve been watching how people talk when it comes to this film and I noticed something extremely strange. The comic book heads are essentially giving this movie a pass that we’ve almost never seen with any other comic book movie. In this very thread I see people defending the Todd Phillips not using any of source material of Joker from the comics or previous movies to create this movie. The excuse used was we don’t know Jokers background. But I’m like wait a minute we know who Joker is and there’s no excuse to ignore all the history. It’s there for a reason. I remember reading Todd’s comments and I was like wow this dude is literally trying to make his own movie but Trojan horsing it with a Joker makeup.

Now you have the producer of the movie saying she doesn’t like comic book movies. She doesn’t watch them. This is confirming my suspicions. Then the reviews that dropped yesterday started to roll in and it was quite noticeable that there was an emphasis that it was a great movie not just a great comic book movie. I’m like why do they all keep saying that. CA:WS, TDK and BP were great movies but still comic book movies.

I see the fanboys just eating it up whatever is thrown at them. Mind you I read the details from the test screenings that were posted a few pages back. Let me just say there is no way that the Joker at the end of the film a contender to be a foe of Batman in any iteration. So is this a movie a great character study on a random man or is a great character study on the Joker? The joker is a character that is known and loved but how can this be a movie about the joker when the source material is abandoned and the people in charge have a bias towards comic book films? That’s what I’m seeing happening here. We will see officially in October but from what I’ve read it’s exactly as it sounds “how could someone become the joker” not how the joker we all know came to be and those are two very different things.
This is a really reductive take considering all the What If? and Elseworlds stories that have been written about established characters in the comic books.
Also we don't "know how the Joker came to be" because there are multiple stories that can lay claim to being some sort of origin story for the character and none of them have been confirmed as definitive by DC Comics.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Movie seems try hard as fukk. “WATTTTTCH ME ACCCCCCCCT” as Phoenix flails his body around and goes craaaaaaaaazy. We get it, Joaquin.

Freshman psych students and smart dumb nikkas are going to love this movie, I’m sure.

You're saying "freshmen psych" but then dismissing the fact that most of the people out in Venice are very well educated. Phoenix was a legend in the acting game way before this film and he'll be after this film.

Your post is try hard... just say you don't want to think. Just say you are happier when everything on screen is popcorn inspired.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yeah exactly that’s my point. So how do you make a movie that has no intention of being connected to those because you didn’t reference any of them.

You obviously don't understand The Joker at all. He has no set origin. This movie shows what might have been his origin and it does share some aspects from previous iterations whether it was intentional or not. Such as the influences from King of Comedy.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Again. Do you read comics? That’s a real question. Not being an a$$hole lol.

Yeah I’ve read comics in the past. My argument is against all of these points is that many are saying there is no definite joker origin story and the creators can do whatever they want bc it’s an elseworld take and I was never arguing about jokers origins in its specificity. I was arguing on the merits of not following the source material in any capacity and the producer saying she doesn’t like comic book movies. How do you know that you end up with Joker and not some clown in a mask if you don’t refer to the source. How do you write the beginning without referring to end or the middle that was prewritten. This is my point. It was a matter of me asking those questions but the people debating back with me are speaking with certainty on something neither of us have seen yet and many have not read the screening details that I’ve been referring to.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never mind this is an alias. Join date 2012. couple hundred posts but is sticking around in this thread.. :mjgrin:
This is the dumbest line of logic. I’ve been around since the project covo and the sohh days. What are you talking about? I don’t always have to respond but I read a lot about what’s on here. Come up with a better line of reasoning.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your argument makes no sense logically :gucci: this is a movie is pretty much a elseworlds movie about a origin of the joker that’s it. Your stuck in talking about Batman and him being a criminal mastermind. Do you think your the only one who read about the movie ? I know what the plot is and so what ? I’m a comic reader for about 20 years at this point . This movie is in the spirit of the joker definitely and is even using elements of various joker origins . Do you think the red hood joker who fell into a vat of chemicals was a chemical mastermind ? There are so many iterations of the joker what is your point

What I’m trying to get across is that you are providing your take on this movie from a comic book head perspective. You said there are many iterations of joker because you know the source material. This is literally what I’m getting at. This is literally what my first post stated was that this movie was written without referencing years of history per the director. So I was asking the question of if this is a movie about the Joker or something else with the name Joker slapped on it. Nowhere did I judge the movie in terms or how good it will be or bad. I was simply saying there’s been a noticeable acceptability of the creators blatantly saying they aren’t using the source material at all. And I said we will see how we all react when the movie is released.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah I’ve read comics in the past. My argument is against all of these points is that many are saying there is no definite joker origin story and the creators can do whatever they want bc it’s an elseworld take and I was never arguing about jokers origins in its specificity. I was arguing on the merits of not following the source material in any capacity and the producer saying she doesn’t like comic book movies. How do you know that you end up with Joker and not some clown in a mask if you don’t refer to the source. How do you write the beginning without referring to end or the middle that was prewritten. This is my point. It was a matter of me asking those questions but the people debating back with me are speaking with certainty on something neither of us have seen yet and many have not read the screening details that I’ve been referring to.
We’re also speaking based on the trailer. Which clearly echoes the killing joke in ways. And even the killing joke itself was designed to be a one off that against the will of the writers, ended up becoming canon

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
That makes absolutely no sense.
When did women/women of color become the authorities on The Joker?

:comeon: She's saying she wants to know what women reviewers think of the movie before seeing it just in case they set the Joker up as a psychotic killer a la Hawkeye in IW (going on an emotional killing rampage that just so happened to target Mexican and Japanese criminals instead of white American criminals). Sometimes (actually quite often) directors and writers will make women and/or pocs collateral damage so it doesn't inspire so much outrage when they want the audience to still like or sympathize with the guy doing the killing. All she's saying is that she wants to know who gets the brunt of most of the Joker's wrath in the movie before she forks over $20 buck to see it.