Official JOKER Thread (SPOILERS)

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
A comic book movie that actually looks entertaining, it’s been years. This should be a good spin. :obama:

Last edited:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I understand your point but I don’t think this is a fair comparison. Bucky as you mentioned was a side character that wasn’t known to many outside of comic heads. So they had to big him up to make him a cooler character and fit him into the movies. Joker is all time. He’s recognizable by name alone. He’s batman’s biggest foe and a criminal mastermind. You’re making an origin movie for this iconic character and playing it fast and loose. It’s an origin movie that should lead up to the character we know in the comics and movies but how can that be the case if you don’t use the comics and movies as a reference. It’s a bad recipe but because you’ll end up with something that looks like Joker but won’t actually be Joker and that’s what I fear and that’s what reading the test screening details confirmed to me.
Your not a hardcore comic fan are you ? Joker has no real definitive origin at this point in DC comics and the information we know has been changed and modified to meet the needs of the current writer . DC Is actually doing a 3 jokers dc black limited series to discuss the various versions of joker that have ran around . Phillips seems like he made a story true to the spirit of the joker which is all I can ask . By the way mcu has made significant changes to all of their characters and storylines through the years to fit the universe they are building .

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah exactly that’s my point. So how do you make a movie that has no intention of being connected to those because you didn’t reference any of them. If that’s the case then make your own movie about a new character all together. I’m just using the creators of this film’s own words. That’s my cause for concern. But I hope to be proven wrong. I just don’t want a movie that props up Joaquin’s good to great acting as a man who descends into madness while forgetting that this is a movie is supposed to be about an iconic character which is the Joker, not just a man who descends into madness and wears clown makeup. Does that make sense?
You didn’t see the movie and it seems like he is actually taking some elements from various joker origins. Also there are usually self contained stories in comics where some writer uses a character to tell a story that they find interesting that is out of canon

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
It's essentially an Elseworlds/DC Black movie. People are over thinking it. WB wanted to try something different than the usual superhero action comedies we get and didn't want it to be tied down to any other already established movie "universe". Pretty simple.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah exactly that’s my point. So how do you make a movie that has no intention of being connected to those because you didn’t reference any of them.
If there's been multiple iterations of a character with completely different personalities and motivations, with different origins, how is a movie supposed to lead us to the character we know.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what I'm saying. If everyone is saying it's a one off and there is no canon for this character, then how can you staunchly defend that this is Joker? I'm okay
with It being an elseworld thing. If we recognize it as just that then fine, but you have to be prepared for people saying this isn't Joker because you've given
carte blanche for the creators to throw anything they want in there for the sake of saying this doesn't have be true to form. Like I said I read the script details
so when I'm left afterwards saying I don't know how this iteration of Joker would ever be a foe for Batman or a threat to Gotham, I don't say that lightly. It's in
the written description. It's just a noticeable amount of leeway being given to this film that wouldn't be given to other iconic film characters. But I'll see y'all October 4th.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This is what I'm saying. If everyone is saying it's a one off and there is no canon for this character, then how can you staunchly defend that this is Joker? I'm okay
with It being an elseworld thing. If we recognize it as just that then fine, but you have to be prepared for people saying this isn't Joker because you've given
carte blanche for the creators to throw anything they want in there for the sake of saying this doesn't have be true to form. Like I said I read the script details
so when I'm left afterwards saying I don't know how this iteration of Joker would ever be a foe for Batman or a threat to Gotham, I don't say that lightly. It's in
the written description. It's just a noticeable amount of leeway being given to this film that wouldn't be given to other iconic film characters. But I'll see y'all October 4th.
I’m still not following you. The character as I’ve seen in the little bit of trailer is the joker tho. His backstory may be a mix of every single backstory the joker has ever had. But it’s the joker. And again, if you read comics you know that every single writer has put their spin on the joker. None of them write him the same. His motives are the same but some make him sillier than others. Some make him more menacing. Others make him downright scary. It all depends on the writer and what their take will be. So why should a movie be any different?

Daps
Reppin
NULL

fukk all that paragraph shyt. We'll make it simple.

It's a joker movie because the owners of the property, DC/Warner bros, says it's a joker movie.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m still not following you. The character as I’ve seen in the little bit of trailer is the joker tho. His backstory may be a mix of every single backstory the joker has ever had. But it’s the joker. And again, if you read comics you know that every single writer has put their spin on the joker. None of them write him the same. His motives are the same but some make him sillier than others. Some make him more menacing. Others make him downright scary. It all depends on the writer and what their take will be. So why should a movie be any different?

As I said before maybe it’s because I read the details I have a different take. None of what you just described him as is what I read. That’s why I talk about this movie being different. How is it Joker if he has the bare minimum of Joker’s qualities? I have more questions than answers. But like I said we will see everyone’s reaction in October when the full film comes out.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
So you're saying that warning POCs and women about content they may not want to see is now opressing big studio execs? You really think a few POCs and WOC reviewers are gonna kill the industry? :mjlol: I honestly don't understand why people who defend white males executives and actors always reach for the victimization and oppression argument but then complain about SJWs whining. It's like crazy hypocritical.
What are you talking about?

How do you get these are SEPARATE PROBLEMS to I’m defending executives?

Saying professional criticism needs to change and get better is saying attacking WOC and going to kill the industry?

Did you decide I was just defending Hollywood cause I don’t agree with her cause you don’t seem to actually read what I said.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I understand your point but I don’t think this is a fair comparison. Bucky as you mentioned was a side character that wasn’t known to many outside of comic heads. So they had to big him up to make him a cooler character and fit him into the movies. Joker is all time. He’s recognizable by name alone. He’s batman’s biggest foe and a criminal mastermind. You’re making an origin movie for this iconic character and playing it fast and loose. It’s an origin movie that should lead up to the character we know in the comics and movies but how can that be the case if you don’t use the comics and movies as a reference. It’s a bad recipe but because you’ll end up with something that looks like Joker but won’t actually be Joker and that’s what I fear and that’s what reading the test screening details confirmed to me.

But villains are side characters. Narratives change when a hero isn’t present. We don’t have 20 years of Venom winning by eating innocent people and not being stopped. He becomes an antihero and a worse villain comes into play. That’s not what the original character was presented as.

There in lies the problem in bold.

You’re already deciding what should happen. Comics are themselves a fast and loose medium.

Heck the whole point of the Elseworld comics is to upend expectations. Red Son isn’t about how you get to the Superman we know. Secret Identity isn’t about making a comic accurate Superman.

This is exactly what Philips told us it was. You can’t tell me he lied to get your dollars. It’s just not what you think should have been done and that’s okay.