Official Game of Thrones Season 5 Thread (No books/leaks spoilers; spoiler tags not allowed)

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Brehs , why the furore over the Ramsay/Sansa scene but not the Danerys(sp?) & Khal Drogo scene earlier in the series? There's virtually no difference between the two from what I can tell.
Because Ramsey didnt rape Sansa in the books, instead he raped her childhood friend and also he made Theon eat her out and also he had her fukked by dogs.

But that is more acceptable to people, because it wasn't Sansa.

Moral of the story is, its actually just a bunch of butthurt fanboys. Same reason there was anger about Jamie raping Cersei. Because people thought it hurt his character. The same character that attempted to kill an 8 year old boy.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
it is a little weird when rape isn't in the source material or necessary to demonstrate how demonic the characters are

dany didnt get raped in the books, gets raped on film, now depicted falling in love with rapist instead of dude who gave her freedom from her brother
cersei didn't get raped at the altar of her dead kid, but is an incestuous c*nt and jaime is already a piece of shyt, now the incest is rape too
ramsey cut off a guy's penis and turned him into a zombie, but now he's a rapist too

i wasnt SHOCKED AND OFFENDED at any of those scenes, i just thought them extra and useless. we knew how awful (or brutish in khal drogo's case) those characters were already. and there's plenty of rape in the books, it's like they were trying to keep the rape tallies between print and screen equal by inserting them wherever they could.

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC
Brehs , why the furore over the Ramsay/Sansa scene but not the Danerys(sp?) & Khal Drogo scene earlier in the series? There's virtually no difference between the two from what I can tell.

Firstly, with the possible exception of dany, the show has NEVER handled sexual violence well. So while I can see how some would give a pass to something that happened in the first two episodes of the first season, after five seasons of lazy, ham-handed, or flat-out irresponsible uses of sexual violence, it's understandable that people would be fed up by now.

Secondly, there's a simple difference in these scenes that has hugely important implications: in dany's two rape scenes, the camera was focused on her face, whereas in sansa's scene, it was focused on THEON'S face. Dany was a child bride expericing marital rape in a marriage forced on her by an abusive sibling; it can be argued that this was what fueled her desire to eradicate slavery that has been been the center of her storyline for several seasons now. She went from a helpless, abused little girl to a woman with real power and sexual agency. Was it problematic? Sure, and so i understand the people still objecting to it, but on the whole it worked FOR ME

On the other hand, I knew from the moment they focused on theon's reaction that sansa's rape would just be about the effect it would have on theon as opposed to sansa's development. Which is exactly what happened. After five seasons, sansa is still a helpless little girl bouncing from one forced and/or abusive engagement to another, waiting on a man to save her. It's the lazy, trite "girlfriend in the refrigerator" device that many, including me, are fukking tired of seeing. For a show that prides itself on subverting cliches of storytelling, it's disappointing that they continue to use sansa's abuse as nothing more than a vehicle to prove the nobility of certain male characters and the depravity of others.

Thirdly, there's just the fact that this entire plotline diverges far more from the source material than dany's did, and just felt so unnecessary/clumsy/forced.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
:mjcry: Starkset gets no W's

large.gif

While #ramseyset looking like NCAA Football champions.... going through another season not only as champions but UNDEFEATED!!!!:banderas: