OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Daps
HBO was put in a bad position and this is one of the ONLY times i’ll ever kinda of ride with a network over the talent/creators. HBO offered D&D a BLANK CHECK to make seasons 7&8 longer. Do you know how many newborn babies a Showrunner would murder for a BLANK CHECK from ANY network let alone muthafukking HBO? They also tried to pay them more to make more seasons, I believe they wanted 10 seasons out of GOT but D&D turned it all down. And before seasons 7&8 RUINED the franchise D&D had all of the leverage. GOT was a worldwide phenomenon and by all accounts the actors and crew had a good relationship with them. George RR Martin DIRECTLY gave D&D his blessing to adapt the novels. They had a LOT of goodwill. So HBO replacing them would have been HUGELY controversial and all D&D would have to say was that HBO cares more about money than proper storytelling and every season after D&D’s departure would have been relentlessly criticized and unfairly compared to the previous seasons.

NOBODY knew that D&D were going to shyt the ned the way they did. It made more sense to let them execute their “grand plan” than to step in and be the “evil corporate suits” who replaced two “genius level” showrunners. It wouldn’t have worked out. Hindsight is 20/20.
GRR Martin was the real genius behind the show. Once he left as their "advisor" and they couldn't leech of his books anymore, the writing went to shyt

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
HBO was put in a bad position and this is one of the ONLY times i’ll ever kinda of ride with a network over the talent/creators. HBO offered D&D a BLANK CHECK to make seasons 7&8 longer. Do you know how many newborn babies a Showrunner would murder for a BLANK CHECK from ANY network let alone muthafukking HBO? They also tried to pay them more to make more seasons, I believe they wanted 10 seasons out of GOT but D&D turned it all down. And before seasons 7&8 RUINED the franchise D&D had all of the leverage. GOT was a worldwide phenomenon and by all accounts the actors and crew had a good relationship with them. George RR Martin DIRECTLY gave D&D his blessing to adapt the novels. They had a LOT of goodwill. So HBO replacing them would have been HUGELY controversial and all D&D would have to say was that HBO cares more about money than proper storytelling and every season after D&D’s departure would have been relentlessly criticized and unfairly compared to the previous seasons.

NOBODY knew that D&D were going to shyt the ned the way they did. It made more sense to let them execute their “grand plan” than to step in and be the “evil corporate suits” who replaced two “genius level” showrunners. It wouldn’t have worked out. Hindsight is 20/20.
and that would've been complete bullshyt, very few people were ok with D&D announcing 13 episodes for the final two seasons, next to no one believed the story could be wrapped up in that few episodes. that alone would've had the masses behind HBO replacing them to get a proper 10 seasons. furthermore, it wouldn't be the case of show runners randomly fired, it would be the case of HBO letting them leave so they could pursue their other "dream projects" while letting a "highly talented team of writers with a great vision for the world of Westeros continue the legacy of GOT"

and yes, D&D had already been questioned about some of their decisions as they moved past the books in season 5/6, just because the show didn't crumble in s6, didnt mean people had blind trust in D&D wrapping the series with 13 episodes. s6 is where people started questioning writing but the pacing was still appropriate and didn't completely ruin plots the way in did in 7/8

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Preach. HBO was clearly all in. Still are with them prequels on the way and George R.R. Martin signing that 8 figure deal a couple days ago.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Preach. HBO was clearly all in. Still are with them prequels on the way and George R.R. Martin signing that 8 figure deal a couple days ago.
Everyone was all in except D&D. Fans, GRRM, and HBO all wanted more. D&D were adamant for years that they were doing 7 and dipping.

When asked why the show is ending, he responded, “I don’t know! Ask [showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss] when they come through. We could have gone to 11, 12, 13 seasons, but I guess they wanted a life,” he joked. “You know, if you’ve read my novels, you know there was enough material for more seasons. They made certain cuts, but that’s fine.”

“[Benioff and Weiss] have been saying for like five years that seven seasons was all they would go, and we got them to go to eight, but not any more than that,” Martin said. “There was a period five years ago where they were saying seven seasons, and I was saying 10 seasons, and they won. They’re the ones actually working on it.”

George R.R. Martin Says Game of Thrones Could Have Had 13 Seasons

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
I'm still mad
A7s8D7C.png

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
Everyone was all in except D&D. Fans, GRRM, and HBO all wanted more. D&D were adamant for years that they were doing 7 and dipping.

George R.R. Martin Says Game of Thrones Could Have Had 13 Seasons

I think 7 seasons would had been okay if each seasons were full fledge seasons with 13+ episodes each and each season covered a book.

We instead got 8 seasons, and D&D tried to act as if they did us a favor by giving us one extra season but in reality, season 7 was only 7 episodes and season 8 was only 6 episodes.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think 7 seasons would had been okay if each seasons were full fledge seasons with 13+ episodes each and each season covered a book.

We instead got 8 seasons, and D&D tried to act as if they did us a favor by giving us one extra season but in reality, season 7 was only 7 episodes and season 8 was only 6 episodes.
The problem wasn't the number of seasons or episodes, even though about ten seasons would probably have been best to bring all the different plot lines and character archs to a good conclusion. The problem was, that D&D didn't understand their own show and were too proud to get competent help once they ran out of books. They thought the show was about the spectacle of large battles and dragons burning whole cities down, or at least they thought they could refocus the show towards that in the later seasons.

The white walkers are a prime example: They were this creeping menace in the background that formed while everybody was focused on their petty rivalries and somehow, the showrunners thought that getting rid of them via a large battle in the middle of season 8 would be a satisfying conclusions to their story.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
I refuse to let Martin get out like he isn't just as culpable as those two doofs are. He never finished the fukking story, and the two of them admittedly were not good writers. I get that they still fukked up, but they were done so wtf did HBO expect? They should've just stopped tbh, and force Martin's hand.

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I refuse to like Martin get out like he isn't just as culpable as those two doofs are. He never finished the fukking story, and the two of them admittedly were not good writers. I get that they still fukked up, but they were done so wtf did HBO expect? They should've just stopped tbh, and force Martin's hand.

Even if they were done D&D were going to take a hatchet to the source material just like they did to books 4 and 5, cutting most of the real plots and characters and stitching them into an incoherent mess. They did not want to continue past 7 seasons - that was their plan for years with or without more books - so the rush hack job was coming no matter what unless HBO switched showrunners.