OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Breh...
When else did you want the show to start turning the fukk up? We had been following it for 6-7 years, and Winter still was coming and we never saw Dany's Dragons put in work. I for one enjoyed the fukkery of last Season because it was done well and quite frankly, it was about damn time.

And with that said... They still had more to show so I don't get why people are even entertaining the notion that S7 was as bad as S8

:camby:
How was last season turning the fukk up though? Besides Jon meeting Dany, nothing really happened. The main story for last season was capturing a zombie to show Cersei so she can postpone the war and join their army. Not only was that a dumb plot straight out of walking dead but none of that ended up mattering at all. They spent the whole season making Tyrion, Varys, and Dany dumb so they can weaken their army and level the playing field for Cersei. They made Arya and Sansa act out of character and dumbed down Littlefinger.

It was clear their objective was to save Cersei vs. Dany for season 8 when it should have been a wrap during season 7.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
The fundamental difference is that the people that had “plenty of beef” with season 7 are the smarter fans that also criticized season 5. There wasn’t the massive outrage that exists now for season 8. People on twitter were still praising the show and IMDb and rotten tomato ratings were positive (in fact higher than previous seasons). D&D weren’t mainstream like they are now. The fact that they were able to get away with season 7 relatively unscathed paved the way for season 8.

I understand there are plenty of reasons why 8 has been shyt on and I completely support the outrage. I also understand that the showrunners still had some goodwill after 7 but instead of giving them a mulligan we should have seen 7 as a sign of things to come. Season 7 is the reason why season 8 exists. They shouldn’t have gotten a pass for shortened seasons, character inconsistency, heavy plot armor, deuce ex machinas, unrealistic pacing. Beyond the Wall is still the worst episode in show history imo and for that to be rated a 9.0 on IMDb is a complete joke. Thrones stopped Thrones with season 7 and the general public still ate that shyt up. There’s a reason why all of the actors are so dumbfounded by the outrage for season 8.
i'm really not sure why you're still arguing this, 7 wasn't as bad as 8 in any regard so to expect the same vitriol is ridiculous. furthermore, d&d were well known to viewers prior to this season. the reason that they're more "mainstream" is because their shytty post-episode explanations this season have become memes. we weren't getting "they kinda forgot" rationale in prior years.

i don't follow the ratings that get posted on imdb/rotten tomatoes, i don't even remember episode ratings being brought up on here or reddit until this season due to the mass amount of people who made it a troll move to rank them. look at the thread here for season 7, d&d were called out, in the freefolk forum on reddit, they were called out, plenty jokes/memes/tweets called them out during season 7, the podcasts i listen to for GOT called them out in season 7.

lastly, season 7 isn't why season 8 exists. d&d wanting to wrap in 13 episodes is why season 8 exists. even if everyone was as vocal about their disappointment with season 7 as they've been with 8, that wasn't going to make d&d go "oh, we passed on tens of millions from HBO to stay on longer, but by god the reddits forums and memes have convinced us to stay longer :troll: " they would've done what they did this season, log off the net, have a few actors and HBO execs call us spoiled, entitled nipitcking babies and KIM.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
How was last season turning the fukk up though? Besides Jon meeting Dany, nothing really happened. The main story for last season was capturing a zombie to show Cersei so she can postpone the war and join their army. Not only was that a dumb plot straight out of walking dead but none of that ended up mattering at all. They spent the whole season making Tyrion, Varys, and Dany dumb so they can weaken their army and level the playing field for Cersei. They made Arya and Sansa act out of character and dumbed down Littlefinger.

It was clear their objective was to save Cersei vs. Dany for season 8 when it should have been a wrap during season 7.
every single thing i bolded was heavily criticized (and the dumbing down of tyion, varys and LF started in season 6, which was also criticized - i vividly remember how people went in on the quality of tyrion's dialogue as well as being reduced to dikk jokes, drinking games, and failed diplomacy in season 6).

the part in red is something we didn't know wouldn't matter. that expedition, however plot armor laden, still made sense given how big a threat they built the WW to be (and amplified it by giving the NK a dragon) that's how desperate they were to get EVERYONE on board with fighting the dead. it only looks garbage in hindsight now that we know winter was only one night and they used the entire 7 season WW arc only to thin dany's army...

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
the part in red is something we didn't know wouldn't matter. that expedition, however plot armor laden, still made sense given how big a threat they built the WW to be (and amplified it by giving the NK a dragon) that's how desperate they were to get EVERYONE on board with fighting the dead. it only looks garbage in hindsight now that we know winter was only one night and they used the entire 7 season WW arc only to thin dany's army...

Not really. Cercei's forces were decimated at Battle of the Goldroad (Loot Train), no one on Dany's side knew about her getting the contract from the Golden Company nor when they would be available. The risk/reward of adding Cercei to the Great War against the Night King was never worth it, it was one of the reasons so many people hated that story. Granted, it wasn't the main reason people thought the plan was retarded - sending Jon Snow and other key characters on a suicide mission was -, but the expedition never made sense in the grand scheme of things and it was mostly seen as fanservice at first. Once Viserion died it was seen as another "we have to reduce Dany's forces" plot driven plan.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Lmao yall rolling with the Bloodraven = King theory are gonna have a whole extra round of disappointment if ADOS ever comes out:deadmanny:

NOPE

Hail Bran the Broken. The true king.

It's gonna be hilarious how George's version wont make it seem like Bran's reign will last 2 years at most.

D&D basically left Westeros with the Dothraki as an unsolved problem, the Iron Islands without their independence and Dorne with a new Prince and one "wait, what just happened?" realization that they too should be independent.

The "6 Kingdoms" about to go to War once again ASAP, and TV show Bran would be on his ayahuasca trip trying to find dragons :ahh: while Tyrion and the realm starve to death because of Bronn isolated himself because he doesn't want any problems, he's set now :mjlol:

George and his ghostwriter(s) will put a bow on Bran the Seer and a prosperous continent :wow:Can't wait till 2040. ADOS gonna come out at the same time of the last few chapters from HunterXHunter.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

:dahell:

They were building up these battles the entire series with the Night King and Dany's dragons, if it was up to some of yal, there would absolutely be no action, I mean breh... we were patient and took in all the character development for multiple seasons. At some point, they had to start giving us a payoff. The characters for the most part were fully developed, that's why it was so easy to pick their decisions a part when we got to the end... it was easy to say, "yeaaaah that doesn't make sense".

Also... Most of those events you're mentioning not mattering from S7 is because what they did in S8, and you have the benefit of hindsight to shyt on some of that stuff.

We didn't know they would nerf the Army of the Dead AND The Night King like that. I mean look at the last scene of Season 7, the vast number of White Walkers that they had when that wall fell, it was a war against the dead vs the living. Cersei is a stubborn ass bytch tho, so not even seeing a dead man wildin' out convinced her to chill with off her power trip.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Dope - only flaw in this is having Arya take Jamie's face if the real Jamie is still alive. Wouldn't she have had to kill the real Jamie to have his face?

Otherwise, definitely with it.
They never really bothered to show how exactly it works or what the limitations are. We saw one of the faceless men wearing Arya’s face in season 5.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Not really. Cercei's forces were decimated at Battle of the Goldroad (Loot Train), no one on Dany's side knew about her getting the contract from the Golden Company nor when they would be available. The risk/reward of adding Cercei to the Great War against the Night King was never worth it, it was one of the reasons so many people hated that story. Granted, it wasn't the main reason people thought the plan was retarded - sending Jon Snow and other key characters on a suicide mission was -, but the expedition never made sense in the grand scheme of things and it was mostly seen as fanservice at first. Once Viserion died it was seen as another "we have to reduce Dany's forces" plot driven plan.
I disagree, they didn’t want just Cersei’s forces, they wanted people under her control as well, just like the northern army wasn’t only made of men who weren’t actual fighters, it was any men, in fact lyanna said she’d train women and children on bear island for just this reason. Jon was pressed about having as many people as possible to fight the dead. It definitely made sense in terms of how desperate the characters were for survival. Of course it was all undone by a weak ass one night fight all to thin out dany’s army that would just respawn anyway. But as far as linear storytelling it made sense in addition to giving the NK a dragon to knock down the wall.

Now how the expedition went down, there were a lot of holes. And if you want to argue it was dumb to think Cersei would agree even after seeing the dead, that stands too. But generally that expedition wasn’t an egregious affront to storytelling the way season 8 was.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Was there anything more funny in this thread than nikkas prematurely jumping onto #walkerset in the lead up to the Long Night
Afx3fah.png

KamikazePilot

Superstar
Daps
The more I think about the whole season the angrier I get.

This show needed 10 FULL Seasons no less, more if necessary.

But the books finna be fire though :wow:

I think it's finally gonna drop since the show has ended.

In the books bran won't be king the 3 eyed Raven will.

The children of the forest finally got their land back :myman:

shyts gonna be Crack :ohlawd: