OFFICIAL Game of Holmes Season 8 Thread - A Dream of Flat Tops 4/14/19

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
I'm not a fan of the finale but I do understand it.

This seems to be something from shows I've watched that appears to be consistent and it's a really weird thing with the exception of one.

Dexter. True Blood. Breaking Bad. Game of Thrones.

All of these shows ended, really with the "tragedy" of a character at the forefront - yet Breaking Bad was really the only one to actually execute it correctly and in a satisfying way.

Much of it is because the shows above just seem to unravel everything they've built up prior to the final season and negate the importance of the prior events, despite the endings in a vacuum being logical conclusions. Logical because they make sense in the real world, but completely go against the world you've built in the show itself.

Dexter spent 7 seasons trying to balance his life as a killer and his mask. For 7 seasons, he went on with some consequences along the way, to a point where you're either rooting for him to succeed or waiting for him to get caught. That's the direction the show is pointing toward - what happens? Neither - he becomes hollow and lives alone, conceivably for the rest of his days. It makes SENSE, but it goes against the world building of 7 seasons. It's underwhelming. It's not what everything and all the tension seemed to be steeered toward.

Sookie Stackhouse spent however many seasons going through all this fukkery with vampires, off and on again love story between Bill and Eric - it's clearly wrong for her, but it's the world you've built. Her end? Some random fukking guy that she can have children with, that you don't see until the last scene of the show. Again, it makes SENSE, because the vampires were bad for her - but it was completely underwhelming and if you're invested in her as a character, it's hard to not watch the last sequence and go "who the fukk is that?". It was underwhelming and took away from what appeared to be the intentions of the show all along.

Game of Thrones. I actually love Arya's end. I love Sansa's end. I am absolutely shocked that Tyrion made it to the end but am genuinely happy for his character. Sam, Pod, Bronn, Brienne, Grey Worm, all very sweet, tucked away, storybook endings. No clue what happened to Davos who was one of my favorite characters on the show but fine. I'm a sucker for a happy ending when all seems lost, I grew up on Power Rangers and cheering baby faces in wrestling as a kid.

But if you're watching this show, the clear focal points by the end game are Jon and Danerys. You've watched their stories unfold and I think they had Tyrion do an excellent job of giving homage to her character up until this point, highlighting her destructive path along the way that we cheered on because it was directed at even worse individuals. You literally watch her grow up, going from being sold into marriage to acquiring everything she needed to become the Queen she sought to be. And while it's true they had the Mad Queen Arc in their back pocket the entire time, with all the possible ways to allude to the foreshadowing that took place and all the logical reasons why 6 episodes going back to season 7, first losing Viscerion, that she could snap and do what she did in episode 5, it doesn't change the fact that season 8 undid a lot of what appeared to be the story for 7 seasons. And that's fine, again, it makes SENSE. But the execution and how satisfying it was, trying to present this tragedy for her character, again, was underwhelming. She was killed damn near seconds after she was seen as gone crazy and while it made SENSE, that scene FELT like it belonged to Jamie and Cersei, not Jon and Danerys.

Then you have Jon, who I thought was written perfectly for 7 seasons. I barely even paid attention to him during my first watches of the show and as everything built up, I thought it was incredible that this b*stard son of Ned Stark and seemingly tertiary character on the Wall, doing all sorts of wild shyt was who this show was about all along. Ice and Fire - Targaryean and Stark. Maybe he'll be the king. Maybe he and Danerys will join together and take out the night king and save the world....no. He doesn't want it. Like, at all. He was Lord Commander and got killed for it, bent the knee and pissed his people off as King in the North and said fukk it, I don't want any of this. He makes light work of recently heel turned Danerys and ends up living the rest of his days beyond the Wall. Full circle. Similar to Jamie in bringing the character back where he ultimately "belonged", but underwhelming as fukk when you think about the story that took place prior to it - the man was brought back to life and found to be the real heir to the throne. Casting that aside to dive into a new world of democracy for Westeros, electing Bran (who again, LOGICALLY, would be a good leader - he would be objective, cannot be manipulated, etc.) is just so fukkING underwhelming. He was brought back to ultimately be banished to the North. That's what people will remember and to some regard, that seems to be the intention. He helped rally the North and allies, but he didn't ACTUALLY kill the Night King. He was born of royal blood, but he didn't ACTUALLY want it. He killed the Queen, he did what was right and now he can fukk off in the North. So many momentous actions for little to no reward.

And then you have Breaking Bad, which just stuck to core principles - simple story, didn't deviate from its world or try to get cute - message given, message received and conveyed the tragedy without going against the world it built toward.

I was genuinely disappointed, not due to any expectations of how I thought it SHOULD end, but watching this and thinking of it in its totality, nothing prior really seems to matter as much any more. They built up this fantasy world of amazement and wonder and tried to ground it right back in reality in its final moments. The guy doesn't always get the girl type of shyt.

Very disappointing. More so because I know it will be difficult to watch the prior seasons again, knowing how everything ends.

Ghost and Jon reuniting is about the only satisfying part to the episode. It felt like watching Dexter in the Pacific Northwest all over again. You get the message they're trying to convey, but sometimes, just having the story go where it's logical conclusion leads is a good thing. You don't have to buck the trends - you did that for however many seasons. This was the time to let the story end where all the roads converged. Your finales best moment is a character and their dog being brought back together. Not sure if that's the real legacy they intended to leave behind.

Mr. Brown

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Them not getting one shot of Dany sitting on the iron throne is unforgivable. :wow:

8 seasons of waiting for Khaleesi to take the iron throne only for her to never even sit on it :francis:
That’s the point. She did everything she did over the course of the show to get to sit on it. And the irony is that once she’s finally able to do it she’s killed right before because she went od and killed thousands of innocents. If she wouldn’t have burned King’s landing she would’ve gotten to sit on the throne, but she did and that was basically karma’s payback

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps
Lord of the rings
Game of thrones

Destroy the ring and live happily ever after
Destroy the throne and live happily ever after

Book at the end of lord of rings
Book at the end of game of thrones

Lord of the rings came first the prequel came with the hobbit
Game of thrones came first now they want a prequel

We just watched lord of the rings TV show..
Grrm said it would end like the lord of the rings

LiveFromLondon

Superstar
Daps
Utter Crock of shyt. Bran couldnt be Lord of Winterfell but somehow becomes King and the whole sequence of him becoming King was cringey as fukk, Tyrion went from championing Jon to Bran in a blink.
Sansa demands the north be free but Dorne and the Iron Islands just stay quite, surely they would've wanted the same since especially the Iron Islands rebelled.
Bronns a murderer, whore-mongerer, illeterate, criminal but somehow becomes master of coin.

Drogon melts a throne made out of steel and Jon somehow withstands such heat eminating from him, while just covering his face with his arm

They didnt even touch on the NK and his purpose or ask how Arya was able to sneal up on him just completed forgot about that shyt. Could write a laundry list but so dissapointed i cant be fukked

Last edited:

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I don't have a problem with Dany not getting to sit on the throne. As was said to her, you had already won. Did you have to burn innocent men, women and children? The bells were to ring when the city had fallen. Cersei had waved the white flag. It was Dany's just desserts for what she had done. Needlessly at that.

YaThreadTrashB!

Superstar
Daps

The scene after makes no sense

So drogon is waiting by the door protecting Dany from anyone entering. He is covered in ash so clearly he was there for a long time. Then we see Dany walking into the throne room. Then Jon comes up behind her. So she was looking for the throne room for like 4 hours? And Jon finds it in 30 seconds?

:gucci:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
tumblr_mzgoipcTYB1rpr5lvo1_400.gif

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Terrible last season
HBO for some reason cannot stick the landing with these hyper popular shows

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't have a problem with Dany not getting to sit on the throne. As was said to her, you had already won. Did you have to burn innocent men, women and children? The bells were to ring when the city had fallen. Cersei had waved the white flag. It was Dany's just desserts for what she had done. Needlessly at that.

All of a sudden bells mean surrender? They attacked Stannis army after ringing the bells. This is poor writing..

shagnificent belafonte

I am he who lurks...
Daps
Reppin
Awesomeness
You know that you mentioned White people, this is the whitest shyt.

Dany, the liberator of slaves and defender of the North, saves everybody ass.

A couple of civilians die in a battle.

"Oh no, can't you see, she's crazy. Look what she did to King's Landing. Waat do you think she is gonna do everybody else?"

"But she freed slaves and fought the White Walkers."

"She's a Targaryan, it's in her blood, we gotta do something about this."

"She gave Cersei a chance to surrender and Cersei killed her best friend."

"She'll destroy the whole world."

They feared she would integrate winterfell :mjpls: