Official FGC thread (Streams, Pop-offs, fukkery) **EVO 2024 TOP 8 TODAY**

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Nikkas truly don't appreciate the fact that Capcom never has to make another Street Fighter with how good Monster Hunter and Resident Evil do

And we're in the get it yourself DIY age. This fgc shyt has been a relationship between the players and the devs. One won't survive without the other.

A good example of this relationship is Guilty Gear Strive. ArcSys went hard promoting that game but what kept it alive during development is the content creators making vids and discussing the game. Content creation is promo as well

That relationship led to Strive selling a million copies, some shyt no Guilty Gear has ever done

It's all relationships that require work on BOTH sides. But that "Give us money because we're good at your games. We know you got it" shyt ain't gonna fly

Nikkas buy a game and a stick(that's probably not even sold by the company) and want the world :russ:

strive sold a million copies because its gorgeous, has great online, and is piss easy so any idiot can pick up sol or nago and do 50% combos.

lord knight or some shyt shilling it doesn't sell copies of anything lets be real.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1st it was "companies cant afford to have a pot more than $5k", then it was "well they have their own tournament and the pot is larger there". So which is it?

As another poster stated, if you want to grow the audience you cant boil everything down to one event. You need to have anticipated events throughout the year. And no its not all about the money, its that the money will bring more people and eyes to the event.

I honestly believe MORE Evo type events is what the industry needs in general because while i tuned in for SF, once i saw KOF 15 and Strive, i spent more time watching those. I never would have booted up a KOF or Strive exclusive event. But now that i have seen those games and liked what i saw, i may.
That's why companies started doing their own world tours

Part of it is they see potential in these events and another part is they didn't want to feel beholden to EVO so they took their pot money and made their own events

DBFZ World Tour kept that game alive, same for Mortal Kombat

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
strive sold a million copies because its gorgeous, has great online, and is piss easy so any idiot can pick up sol or nago and do 50% combos.

lord knight or some shyt shilling it doesn't sell copies of anything lets be real.
:snoop:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

so you telling me the reason strive is the best selling GG is because maximillian and friends lol? every fg that comes out now has to have rollback and thats because of strive. so you telling me content creators contributed hundred of thousands of sales themselves and not asw making a far more accessible game finally?

you're talking out of your ass.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps

Bro, Strive lobbies are notoriously shyt what are you saying?

1st it was "companies cant afford to have a pot more than $5k", then it was "well they have their own tournament and the pot is larger there". So which is it?

As another poster stated, if you want to grow the audience you cant boil everything down to one event. You need to have anticipated events throughout the year. And no its not all about the money, its that the money will bring more people and eyes to the event.

I honestly believe MORE Evo type events is what the industry needs in general because while i tuned in for SF, once i saw KOF 15 and Strive, i spent more time watching those. I never would have booted up a KOF or Strive exclusive event. But now that i have seen those games and liked what i saw, i may.

At no point did I or @O.Red say these companies can't afford it. I'm illustrating there's no will for them to pump money into tournaments they don't own. And even the ones they DO own, its not going to be the same level as other esports.
And there's plenty of EVO type events. CEO, Combo Breaker, Red Bull does events, there's EVO Japan, Frosty Faustings, you HAD K.I.T. but the TO there ran out of money. Not to mention NLBC (even though the online is over) and WNF. But again these are for the DIE HARDS, EVO has always been the must watch because it was the biggest.

The Capcom Pro Tours and Tekken World Tours are parts of ALL of these events world wide. And they would have competitors traveling all over. In 2019, before COVID, a top NA player played in Frosty, Combo Breaker, CEO, EVO, Canada Cup, KIT, Red Bull Kumite and a couple online brackets. The vast majority of these events were multi-game, multi-day events just like EVO. And while back in the day EVO used to mark the end of the year, NOW the end of the year is the developer run tournaments, because they have the biggest pots.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

At no point did I or @O.Red say these companies can't afford it. I'm illustrating there's no will for them to pump money into tournaments they don't own. And even the ones they DO own, its not going to be the same level as other esports.
And there's plenty of EVO type events. CEO, Combo Breaker, Red Bull does events, there's EVO Japan, Frosty Faustings, you HAD K.I.T. but the TO there ran out of money. Not to mention NLBC (even though the online is over) and WNF. But again these are for the DIE HARDS, EVO has always been the must watch because it was the biggest.

The Capcom Pro Tours and Tekken World Tours are parts of ALL of these events world wide. And they would have competitors traveling all over. In 2019, before COVID, a top NA player played in Frosty, Combo Breaker, CEO, EVO, Canada Cup, KIT, Red Bull Kumite and a couple online brackets. The vast majority of these events were multi-game, multi-day events just like EVO. And while back in the day EVO used to mark the end of the year, NOW the end of the year is the developer run tournaments, because they have the biggest pots.

Would you take shyt lobbies, or shyt actual online matches.

the people have spoken :yeshrug:

the fact ya'll really think content creators accounted for like 800k sales with they homogenized boring shyt :dead:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
yal really talking bad on strive lobbies when 5 was legit getting shyt on across the board by organizers, players, and commentators alike for its bad online before strive even dropped :dahell:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

Bruh you said we need to buy skins if we think the pots should be larger than 1-5k.

We don’t need to buy a damn skin to have the pot be more than 1000 dollars at Evo breh. I can put that in a damn pot monthly from my paycheck. fukk what Capcom said, they can spare more than that.

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so you telling me the reason strive is the best selling GG is because maximillian and friends lol? every fg that comes out now has to have rollback and thats because of strive. so you telling me content creators contributed hundred of thousands of sales themselves and not asw making a far more accessible game finally?

you're talking out of your ass.
I never said it's THE reason. I don't speak in absolutes like that. I'm saying they helped. Where do you think buzz comes from? The game didn't just wake up with good word of mouth. My point remains that this shyt is a relationship between the players/content creators/ and the devs, and the sooner everybody realizes that the better it is for us all

Maximilian has more influence than you realize. Devs reach out to him personally. He's the bridge between hardcore fgc and casuals and gets tens of thousands of viewers in his streams. If you think devs ain't reaching out to Max for promotion and marketing ideas I don't know what to tell you:manny:

And you even mentioning rollback proves my point. Nearly every fighting game has rollback now BECAUSE of the fgc. Casuals don't know what the fukk rollback is :mjlol: . Japan openly rejected even entertaining rollback for years until fgc forced their hand by dropping support for the games without it. ArcSys has been very open about finally listening to nikkas and implementing rollback. It's to the point now where Japan is shook to say their game doesn't have rollback because they know it's DOA if they don't

And this been a civil discussion so far. What's with nikkas needing to do the online argumentative shyt? Some of y'all are actually talking out of your ass and I still keep shyt civil

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Bruh you said we need to buy skins if we think the pots should be larger than 1-5k.

We don’t need to buy a damn skin to have the pot be more than 1000 dollars breh. I can put that in a damn pot monthly from my paycheck. fukk what Capcom said, they can spare more than that.
even fukking catherine had a 5k pot in 2016 :russ:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I never said it's THE reason. I don't speak in absolutes like that. I'm saying they helped. Where do you think buzz comes from? The game didn't just wake up with good word of mouth. My point remains that this shyt is a relationship between the players/content creators/ and the devs, and the sooner everybody realizes that the better it is for us all

Maximilian has more influence than you realize. Devs reach out to him personally. He's the bridge between hardcore fgc and casuals and gets tens of thousands of viewers in his streams. If you think devs ain't reaching out to Max for promotion and marketing ideas I don't know what to tell you:manny:

And you even mentioning rollback proves my point. Nearly every fighting game has rollback now BECAUSE of the fgc. Casuals don't know what the fukk rollback is :mjlol: . Japan openly rejected even entertaining rollback for years until fgc forced their hand by dropping support for the games without it. ArcSys has been very open about finally listening to nikkas and implementing rollback. It's to the point now where Japan is shook to say their game doesn't have rollback because they know it's DOA if they don't

And this been a civil discussion so far. What's with nikkas needing to do the online argumentative shyt? Some of y'all are actually talking out of your ass and I still keep shyt civil

max has mad influence, just I don't think he has hundreds of thousands of copies of influence.

And if you think that talking out your ass shyt was uncivilized apologies :hubie: I'm old/mature enough to do that now.

IDK, the hype was fairly organic, plus it was basically the first new big game in the pandemic we could all play. shyt was gonna go brazy regardless.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
max has mad influence, just I don't think he has hundreds of thousands of copies of influence.

And if you think that talking out your ass shyt was uncivilized apologies :hubie: I'm old/mature enough to do that now.

IDK, the hype was fairly organic, plus it was basically the first new big game in the pandemic we could all play. shyt was gonna go brazy regardless.
Max does have that much influence but it's also a disservice to be so binary about these things

Strive ain't the first gorgeous looking anime game, and anime games don't really sell like that regardless of how good they look. The difference with Strive is ArcSys was serious about communication with the people. The people are where the buzz comes from and word of mouth snowballs, especially when you have influencers creating discourse during and between betas while you finish the game

Look at it this way. Marvel makes these movies that are obviously very successful. But that success ain't in a vacuum. The movies inspire discourse for content creators, who make videos about theories, predictions and whatnot. Those discussions build anticipation for future projects. And marvel knows this so they go crazy with Easter eggs to get nikkas talking. It's an ecosystem

If ArcSys released Strive the same way they did Xrd they wouldn't have the growth that they've had. But they realized the importance of this ecosystem which kept their game in nikkas minds for a full year before it was released

We're in the word of mouth age, and Strive came out the gate with good, curated word of mouth. Is it a beautiful game with great online? Yes but there are plenty of beautiful games with great online that nobody cares about, and again they wouldn't even have great online if fgc didn't pressure Japan into it

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they really should have a power stone 3 greenlit if they want that casual money
I always wondered why Capcom never tried to make another Power Stone because I feel like it would fit in this Fortnite type games era

But I also don't think Capcom owns Power Stone outright