Official FGC thread (Streams, Pop-offs, fukkery) **EVO 2024 TOP 8 TODAY**

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fukk no:mjlol::camby:

After all the ranting I done in here about dbf being too long nikkas talking about adding longer games:why:

Logistics matter

And in regards to format we know Fight Night aint a fighting game man come on:russ:

I'd sooner take SNK heroines more seriously as a fighting game than Fight Night :mjlol:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Daigo got 13th place

That's not how that works.

Tokido is the same age (37) and we see what he does. People misunderstand reactions and their application in sports

Daigo ain't as elite at SFV as y'all want him to be. He's just the name that everybody knows. But Daigo ain't made top 8 at EVO since 2012:manny:

Daigo's popularity is the result of right place/right time but objectively hes never even been the best Japanese SF player at any given time.

5 just ain't his game:manny: and even then he's still up there. Games change, and so do the styles required to play those games. Daigo's doing pretty well considered he overhauled his whole playstyle to be able to hang

Not how what works?

I'm not saying age prevents you from being good. But as far as frame specific inputs and reactions, they'll be easier in most cases for any younger person.

There's always exceptions, and even ways to slow down, reverse, or even stop you're response time from declining. However the majority of people start to slow down around 24 and continue to gradually get slower as they get older.

This varies person to person, not always the same, and physical condition and environment can change it.

Taking advantage of frame data is obviously going to be harder if you're response time is slower.

Do I know this to be true with Daigo? Naw I was talking out my ass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factor. Along with other players getting better, and him losing his competitive drive.

The study I read said, on average, every 15 years after 24 the cognitive response time goes down by 15%.

Game knowledge and muscle memory can help get around this as well obv.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ::russ::russ:

Being black and good with a character is the most effective nerf tool out there:francis:

Japan stay crying about any character that isnt in THEIR top tier list that wins anything, shyt's wild pretentious and capcom keeps bending over backwards for them

Mena RD bodied the japanese players with Birdie at the Capcom Cup...not too long after Birdie get's nerfed :mjpls:

Even nerfed his sweep :mjpls:

Probably just a coincidence :sas1:

Daps
There's just way too much competition in SFV. Anybody that's dominating eventually gets downloaded. Daigo is probably the most studied player so I'm surprised after all these years he's still a really top player. Doesn't help that his favorite character Ryu is trash. At least Bonchan gonna be happy with Sagat.

Cole Cash

They took a hammer and sickle to my back
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Maryland
i just wanna share this story about justin wong real quick

i was looking at his wiki to see if they had this listed and they do

Wong took part in GameStop's Street Fighter IV US National Tournament in 2009, which he won. After the main tournament, a set of special exhibition matches of Street Fighter IV took place in San Francisco, California, on April 18 after the actual competition ended. It featured Iyo who had recently won the Japanese National SFIV tournament, Poongko who won the Korean SFIV National Tournament, and Daigo Umehara who came by Capcom's invitation,[6] and Wong himself. Wong defeated Iyo and Poongko, but lost to Umehara who went on to win the tournament.[7][8][9] He was awarded a tournament seed at Evolution 2009 in Las Vegas.

i specifically remember this match and im going purely off memory here and im sure the match might be online. I was standing next to a old competitor Jason Cole who had come from washington to compete as well but he and i used to play each other at nickel city in san jose (sometimes i would actually win god forbid). I actually made an old SOHH thread about this that people actually posted in but unfortunately its gone.

Basically it went like this Justin was beating nikkas asses up and down all tournament (this was over by the pier and i had a VIP pass because i was fukkin a girl who had an in at capcom, i also got a free copy of resident evil 5 for this) anyhow, Justin was up against Daigo, he then proceeded to taunt Daigo....

and Daigo absolutely looked him in the face briefly with a cold ass stare and proceeded to fukking BODY his ass right after. I commend Justin for being as good as he is, but that nikka was celebrating WAY too quickly. goddamn that shyt was funny, i wonderi if they got footage of that. I also used my Press pass (i wasnt fukking press they just gave me that shyt) to cut in line and have Ono sign my joystick.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I haven't really been in the scene since UMvC3.

Watching this DBZ top 8 right now.

It's dope that DBZ has a quality game finally and it's at EVO.

Also, it's pretty cool to see Yipes transition into a commentor. He's always been one of the best and funniest dudes on the mic. Does he compete any more? I remember MvC3 being the end of his chapter.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
fukking Melee ain't going nowhere unfortunately

Nintendo dun blessed these fools with the ultimate collection of every damn character ever and they still rumbling about not being able to do so and so....

Them dusty non bath taking mufukkas are too damn stubborn

Them nikkas might as well stop making smash games if they just gonna keep playing that same boring bullshyt :snoop:

I used to be a Melee stan but how can nikkas watch these same matches for 15+ years. I can't get hype watching Fox play all these years later. I'd watch a low tier smash tourney tho. :ehh:

MikeOck

Banned
Daps
did Daigo really fall off like that? :patrice: I aint heard him making noise at all recently. DId he make any top 8 at any of these majors recently or is he just a gatekeeper now?

1. Daigo just won the VS fighting premier event like a month ago
2. A lot of players hold money matches and long sets as the true test of skill since flukes are possible in the best of three format in tournaments. Daigo is the undisputed king of long sets. Give him time to prep against you and some time to download all the data and he WILL body you.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I used to be a Melee stan but how can nikkas watch these same matches for 15+ years. I can't get hype watching Fox play all these years later. I'd watch a low tier smash tourney tho. :ehh:
I have no problem watching the new smash games

But i agree the fact that these stubborn entitled ass players force everyone to accomodate a 15 year old game is ridiculous

The "gods" of smash are just abusing their power, they know no one can catch up to them, they just stackin money over there

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no problem watching the new smash games

But i agree the fact that these stubborn entitled ass players force everyone to accomodate a 15 year old game is ridiculous

The "gods" of smash are just abusing their power, they know no one can catch up to them, they just stackin money over there

Well to be fair if Melee is that popular amongst the Smash community and brings in the most views and tons of entrants, then I can understand why Evo still has it in the lineup. MVC2 was still carrying Evo almost a decade after initial release, before Street Fighter 4 came out. If the game is poppin then it should be at Evo, regardless of how old the game is.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Well to be fair if Melee is that popular amongst the Smash community and brings in the most views and tons of entrants, then I can understand why Evo still has it in the lineup. MVC2 was still carrying Evo almost a decade after initial release, before Street Fighter 4 came out. If the game is poppin then it should be at Evo, regardless of how old the game is.
It's poppin cuz they refuse to play the new games tho, that's the difference

We aint see MvC2 at evo in 2018.....that's what melee is

And imo the skill gap is melee is the widest i've ever seen.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's poppin cuz they refuse to play the new games tho, that's the difference

We aint see MvC2 at evo in 2018.....that's what melee is

And imo the skill gap is melee is the widest i've ever seen.

Well I don't think they have to play the new games if they don't want to :manny: and regardless of the reason, melee's views and overall popularity is nuts

MVC2 is obviously no longer in the lineup because nikkas stopped playing it when MVC3 came out and mvc3 turned out to be a good replacement for it. If everyone just ignored 3 and played mvc2, then Evo would've kept it in the sunday lineup.

If anything it speaks volumes about Melee as it compares to the new Smash games. We all saw what happened in the Smash 4 grand finals :mjgrin: