Official Euphoria Season 1 Thread

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
https://tv.avclub.com/euphorias-season-finale-is-structural-chaos-1836959796

Euphoria’s season finale has the least amount of narration of any other episode of the show. Rue’s omniscient observations still come up from time to time, but for the most part, this finale doesn’t lean as much on the device, which helps make the story feel more present and alive. But Euphoria is still more obsessed with its own bells and whistles than it is with the actual storytelling. Even the montage of everyone getting ready for the dance is lengthy and pretty but not necessarily satisfying. And the voiceover of Rue’s mom’s letter on top doesn’t fit...at all.

It’s especially confusing that a show so concerned with aesthetics and art housey direction can’t seem to find its rhythm or make sense of its own structure. Euphoria experiments with form, seen especially in the final sequence—a gorgeous but ultimately hollow choreographed number that turns Rue’s relapse into a twisted ballet—but sometimes that experimentation is erratic and indulgent. Sam Levinson’s direction has an eye, but it lacks skin. There’s no connective tissue outside of the stylization itself. And it isn’t enough to really hold a story together and make it feel lived in. The finale is visually immersive but too chaotic in its narrative for anything to stick.

And the finale tries so hard to wrap up so many storylines that it never really reaches a satisfying conclusion for any of them. Sure, not everything comes to a conclusion, but the finale does split time between pretty much every character so that it’s hard to really settle into any one of their arcs. Cassie’s abortion is almost like an afterthought, another instance of Euphoria merely trying to be provocative instead of actually saying anything. The figure skating sequence is another gorgeous but empty thing, and the way it’s spliced between other scenes that, again, don’t really thematically connect to it detracts from the impact.

At the end of the day, it's about storytelling and this show lacks it. I enjoy the show but it's looking like Belly once you pay attention to the plot and not the blue light on Keisha.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
The problem is that they didn’t really resolve anything. And I think burning the last 15 minutes of the episode with the artist rendition of the relapse kind of highlighted the lack of resolution. It seems like every character was 5 minutes off from getting some kind of closure, but instead we get the interpretive dance relapse.

Breh I was about to fast forward that shyt low key...and I'm one of those types that never wants to miss any sort of dialogue or parts of a scene...the episode was well paced and on par with the rest of the series before the final 15 mins...which was a cop out imo to extend the series further...

It reminded me if in Sopranos season 2 they didn't have Richie Aprile or Big p*ssy die just to extend the story lines into season 3

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
lol @ the back to back music montages...the first one was cool but now I feel insulted...series is strictly style over substance and I was very tolerable this season but someone nailed it a few posts back when they basically said this is a glorified soap opera about teens...there’s nothing substantive as far as the storyline imo to keep me anchored nor do I like any of the characters enough to be chained to the series...fez character was kinda cool tho

Daps
Reppin
Chi
This final episode was the worst episode of the entire season.

The cliffhanger scene changes plays out as really cheap writing imo...

Maybevim just spoiled Bc I rewatch the GOATS like The Wire & The Sopranos often. Just finished S2 of The Wire (insanely underrated season) so I’m used to suberb writing

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
When Jules was clowning Rue clothes this entire time, it was her pops clothes she was wearing. I'm sorry but this shyt is both :mjcry: and :dead: to think about
Rue is like 90lbs, :scust: at a grown man being that tiny before illness. And :scust: at her mom giving up the puss to such a frail c@c