85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
How so? I don’t really see a connection.

Dune is a story about great families and a prophecized messiah sent to the save the masses from a tyrannical leader. Same plot as both Star Wars and Game of Thrones. Throw in spice, desert settings, giant worms that swallow people. The mother in Dune controlling minds like she uses the force...

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Dune is a story about great families and a prophecized messiah sent to the save the masses from a tyrannical leader. Same plot as both Star Wars and Game of Thrones. Throw in spice, desert settings, giant worms that swallow people. The mother in Dune controlling minds like she uses the force...
and where did dune get it from :mjlol:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
and where did dune get it from :mjlol:

The sci fi aspects definitely inspired things in Star Wars. Dune was influenced by religious messiah figures. This reddit post show what influenced the book that was released in 1965.

I really want these movie to end well. This was one of those books that people said would never work as a live action film. Hopefully it works out and has people adapt other works that are thought of as unfilm-able.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
This is a good ass film. Wasn’t sure what to expect, but it delivered. :leon:

I’ll watch the original one day.
Trust me, dont. Just wait a year on pt 2, then go back to the original (iirc the entire dune part 2 takes place in like the final 30 minutes or so of the original) its a very rushed film that throws alot of stuff at you. Never saw the mini series but ifeel like that might work better.
I realize now that Starwars and Game of Thrones are Dune wannabes.
Yea star wars is influenced by so much but i never really heard of the dune influence till i saw the original a few years back….fukking tatooine mightas well have been calle Duntoine.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
Trust me, dont. Just wait a year on pt 2, then go back to the original (iirc the entire dune part 2 takes place in like the final 30 minutes or so of the original) its a very rushed film that throws alot of stuff at you. Never saw the mini series but ifeel like that might work better.

Yea star wars is influenced by so much but i never really heard of the dune influence till i saw the original a few years back….fukking tatooine mightas well have been calle Duntoine.
funny enough there's a planet called Dantooine.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly

The Sci-Fi miniseries was the best adaptation, but it had stuff that didn't work as well.

I don't see the Dune influence in Star Wars, at all.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
The Sci-Fi miniseries was the best adaptation, but it had stuff that didn't work as well.

Mainly the planet and messiah story i saw as influences when i saw dune a few years back (then in trash ass 9 they made poe a former “spice runner”) But then again star wars took so many ideas it somehow ended up doubling back on itself to feel original.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Mainly the planet and messiah story i saw as influences when i saw dune a few years back (then in trash ass 9 they made poe a former “spice runner”) But then again star wars took so many ideas it somehow ended up doubling back on itself to feel original.
Han being a former runner of a drug called "spice" isn't new. I don't remember it it was said on screen, but I'm pretty sure it was there in the original OT novelizations.

To go back to the influence of Dune, a lot of it is just at the surface level, but it IS there. Eg the Saarlac pit is basically a stationary sandworm mouth (visually, but not in terms of lore).

In the prequels there are some parallels between Paul and Anakin. Both are chosen ones that can see the future, though Paul's prediction powers are orders of magnitude stronger even though he's much physically weaker. Both had the goal to free the slaves on a desert planet.

Also, both stories had highly advanced galaxy spanning civilizations...that fought by stabbing each other with melee weapons.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Han being a former runner of a drug called "spice" isn't new. I don't remember it it was said on screen, but I'm pretty sure it was there in the original OT novelizations.

To go back to the influence of Dune, a lot of it is just at the surface level, but it IS there. Eg the Saarlac pit is basically a stationary sandworm mouth (visually, but not in terms of lore).

In the prequels there are some parallels between Paul and Anakin. Both are chosen ones that can see the future, though Paul's prediction powers are orders of magnitude stronger even though he's much physically weaker. Both had the goal to free the slaves on a desert planet.

Also, both stories had highly advanced galaxy spanning civilizations...that fought by stabbing each other with melee weapons.
All this stuff has been spoken about in length, since the time that both Star Wars and Dune was released

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
They should have just made this a series…would have been better on all parts.

I wonder will they even do the 2nd book. Most people ain’t even read the second book but I’m my eyes the 2nd book is a really important that just get glossed over. Which is crazy to me.