Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Tilda Swinton Says She Is Not Playing An Asian Character In Dr. Strange
kvdwkEp.jpg

giphy.gif
Feige addressed that, in the movie there is a line of ancient ones and tilda just so happens to be the next in that line in the cinematic universe. This isnt a straight play by play of the comics.
The Ancient One is traditionally depicted as male, but Feige explained that Marvel saw this figure as more of a mantle than one specific person. He told BirthMoviesDeath in an interview.

[Feige] The sorcerers have been around for millennia, protecting us from things we didn’t know about until this story. There have been multiple [Ancient Ones], even if this one has been around for five hundred years, there were others. This is a mantle, and therefore felt we had leeway to cast in interesting ways. [/Feige]

In a time when Marvelites are calling out their favorite movie studio on the lack of female characters in these films, in comes Tilda. (It brings to mind that brief moment in Parks and Recreation: "You got Tilda?!" "We got Tilda.") The glorified actress is no stranger to gender-bending roles, and one of her biggest strengths is playing characters that require major transformations. (See the witch in Chronicles of Narnia, the archangel Gabriel in Constantine, Madame D. in The Grand Budapest Hotel and Mason in Snowpiercer, to name a few.) Which makes her the perfect candidate to portray such a gender-ambiguous role.

The comic books see the Ancient One as a master sorcerer born 500 years ago in the hidden village of Kamar-Taj nestled in the Himalayas, near Tibet. When neurosurgeon Steven Strange loses the use of his hands, he travels east in a desperate search for some sort of cure or treatment. There, he discovers the Ancient One, who teaches Strange the secrets of the mystic arts, and how to become the Sorcerer Supreme, Earth’s defender against supernatural threats. However, Feige also said that Doctor Strange will divert a bit from the comic book canon. In the interview, he said Strange would not be traveling to Tibet, though he would still be making his way east. He also noted that the end of Ant-Man will tie into this film, explaining how Paul Rudd’s Scott Lang goes on "very weird, mind-bending journey" that will stand as a hat tip for what will be explored in Doctor Strange.

people can get mad about them choosing to have her be the next in that line instead of an asian guy (which can be easily answered by she is a good actress), but she isnt playing an asian guy​

Last edited:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Chinese wouldn't have screened it :yeshrug:
They would have screened it...China's own films are full of magic Chinese people so having someone of Chinese descent playing a major role in a guaranteed blockbuster wouldn't have been an issue.
shyt they not only screened Jurassic World in China but it became one of China's highest grossing imported films and one of the bad guys was played by B.D. Wong, a Chinese actor.
Marvel is just being ridiculous.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Feige addressed that, in the movie there is a line of ancient ones and tilda just so happens to be the next in that line in the cinematic universe. This isnt a straight play by play of the comics.

Thats a weak ass excuse Fiege is trying to sell people especially when you have Tilda Swinton's pasty white ass playing a role where she is dressed in Asian-ish clothing, doing martial arts, all on an Asian-ish temple set.
Why is she dressed like she's about to star in a remake of Kung-Fu, rocking a Gordon Liu baldie if they are all so adamant about the Ancient One not being Asian?
They could have just put her in normal clothes and spared themselves a lot of aggravation.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Thats a weak ass excuse Fiege is trying to sell people especially when you have Tilda Swinton's pasty white ass playing a role where she is dressed in Asian-ish clothing, doing martial arts, all on an Asian-ish temple set.
Why is she dressed like she's about to star in a remake of Kung-Fu, rocking a Gordon Liu baldie if they are all so adamant about the Ancient One not being Asian?
They could have just put her in normal clothes and spared themselves a lot of aggravation.
so they gonna have her in some levis and a crop top in the "ancient east" teaching dr strange ancient arts and expect to be taken seriously by the audience :martin:

being that her character appears to be the next in an ancient line its not out of the question for that character to embrace the culture. i'll wait til the movie actually comes out and we find out about the character and their background before i go on about bashing their decision to hire a good actress

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
so they gonna have her in some levis and a crop top in the "ancient east" teaching strange ancient arts and expect to be taken seriously by the audience :martin:

being that her character appears to be the next in an ancient line its not out of the question for that character to embrace the culture. i'll wait til the movie actually comes out and we find out about the character and their background before i go on about bashing their decision to hire a good actress
Why not have her dress in what is considered Western culture's clothing? There is no reason for her to be looking like she does in the trailer if they were going with the "latest in a long line of Ancient Ones". Hell, have her dress in whatever the clothing style was of the time when she was chosen. Anything but dressing her like she just strolled off the set of 5 Deadly Venoms.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Why not have her dress in what is considered Western culture's clothing? There is no reason for her to be looking like she does in the trailer if they were going with the "latest in a long line of Ancient Ones". Hell, have her dress in whatever the clothing style was of the time when she was chosen. Anything but dressing her like she just strolled off the set of 5 Deadly Venoms.
:pachaha: breh its like a white guy teaching a karate class, he's gonna dress in the proper attire not in some wranglers :upsetfavre:

i mean if the character sucks then yeah yall can go in (some probably will anyway because they hate she got the job in the first place) but when the casting list includes chiwetel, mads, benedict (even though i think you dont fukk with him), its not a surprise that they would go for another good actress in tilda

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
:pachaha: breh its like a white guy teaching a karate class, he's gonna dress in the proper attire not in some wranglers :upsetfavre:

i mean if the character sucks then yeah yall can go in (some probably will anyway because they hate she got the job in the first place) but when the casting list includes chiwetel, mads, benedict (even though i think you dont fukk with him), its not a surprise that they would go for another good actress in tilda
I have the same issue with this casting as I did with them punking out on The Mandarin, namely that Asian actors are seriously under-represented especially in meaningful roles in worldwide blockbusters. So doing the whitewash with originally Asian characters just seems more egregious to me right off the bat.

And Benedict Cumberbatch sucks in everything except Sherlock.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
They would have screened it...China's own films are full of magic Chinese people so having someone of Chinese descent playing a major role in a guaranteed blockbuster wouldn't have been an issue.
shyt they not only screened Jurassic World in China but it became one of China's highest grossing imported films and one of the bad guys was played by B.D. Wong, a Chinese actor.
Marvel is just being ridiculous.

No they wouldn't of, otherwise they would have got an Asian actor and not given Wong's role to Baron Mordo :snoop:. Also B.D Wong wasn't the villain of Jurassic World, it was D'onofrio and you know that :comeon:

China don't allow films with "Supernatural" and "mystical" elements that are presented as being "real" to screen there. There's a reason why Doctor Strange looks like sci-fi as opposed to real damn fantastical magic. Crimson Peak was banned in China for that reason. Ghostbusters won't be allowed there for the same reason.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I have the same issue with this casting as I did with them punking out on The Mandarin, namely that Asian actors are seriously under-represented especially in meaningful roles in worldwide blockbusters. So doing the whitewash with originally Asian characters just seems more egregious to me right off the bat.

And Benedict Cumberbatch sucks in everything except Sherlock.
i think in general its a tough one. @MartyMcFly probably said it more eloquently than i in the GITS thread i think it was, but if you did cast them in those roles yeah its a good look but then you fall into the trap of only hiring asians in "stereotypical" roles and all that mess. but yeah in general hollywood still has a long way to go in terms of diversity, but i think marvel is atleast trying with this diverse cast it looks like we are getting in the new spiderman

and yeah ok i thought you didnt fukk with him :pachaha:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i think in general its a tough one. @MartyMcFly probably said it more eloquently than i in the GITS thread i think it was, but if you did cast them in those roles yeah its a good look but then you fall into the trap of only hiring asians in "stereotypical" roles and all that mess. but yeah in general hollywood still has a long way to go in terms of diversity, but i think marvel is atleast trying with this diverse cast it looks like we are getting in the new spiderman

and yeah ok i thought you didnt fukk with him :pachaha:

Yup. Damned if you do damned if you don't. The best thing to do is take a role that was previously a stereotype and make it into a fully fleshed out character who just so happens to be Asian or Hispanic or Native American etc

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
No they wouldn't of, otherwise they would have got an Asian actor and not given Wong's role to Baron Mordo :snoop:. Also B.D Wong wasn't the villain of Jurassic World, it was D'onofrio and you know that :comeon:

China don't allow films with "Supernatural" and "mystical" elements that are presented as being "real" to screen there. There's a reason why Doctor Strange looks like sci-fi as opposed to real damn fantastical magic. Crimson Peak was banned in China for that reason. Ghostbusters won't be allowed there for the same reason.
In your over-eager zeal to post I can only assume that you missed the part where I wrote "one of the bad guys"...and BD Wong's character was a pretty major bad guy too since he was the guy who was behind creating the dinosaur that was eating everybody and his character got away at the end setting him up to play an even bigger role in the sequel (according to rumors) which is going to be screened in China..
Also Wong, Dr. Strange's man-servant, is in the movie played by an Asian actor (named Benedict Wong...whole lotta Wongs in this post) which makes all the nonsense excuses about not offending the Chinese market seem really absurd. So having an Asian actor play a wise teacher who instructs the movie's main character in how to become a hero is offensive but casting an Asian guy to play a butler is perfectly fine?
And I have no idea where you got this idea that magic is verboten in Chinese cinema. The top grossing films of the past couple years in China are about magical mystical nonsense. Mermaid, Monster Hunt, the Journey to the West films...they make a new movie about the Monkey King damn near every year over there.
China doesn't have an issue with magic on its face, their issue is with cinematic depictions of ghosts and spirits: Crimson Peak, Ghostbusters Hit by China's No Ghost Rule?

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound

I didn't know that smh that's why Doc Strange looked so nuetered and more like Thor with that science we don't understand shyt :snoop:. fukk China Deadpool almost dropped a billie with word of mouth. This is supposed to help introduce magic and supernatural elements with mysticism ala Blade, Mephisto, Ghost Rider, Dormammu, Blackhearr and other wordly beings. Definitely on a wait and see but that doesn't sound particular good to me:jbhmm:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
In your over-eager zeal to post I can only assume that you missed the part where I wrote "one of the bad guys"...and BD Wong's character was a pretty major bad guy too since he was the guy who was behind creating the dinosaur that was eating everybody and his character got away at the end setting him up to play an even bigger role in the sequel (according to rumors) which is going to be screened in China..
Also Wong, Dr. Strange's man-servant, is in the movie played by an Asian actor (named Benedict Wong...whole lotta Wongs in this post) which makes all the nonsense excuses about not offending the Chinese market seem really absurd. So having an Asian actor play a wise teacher who instructs the movie's main character in how to become a hero is offensive but casting an Asian guy to play a butler is perfectly fine?
And I have no idea where you got this idea that magic is verboten in Chinese cinema. The top grossing films of the past couple years in China are about magical mystical nonsense. Mermaid, Monster Hunt, the Journey to the West films...they make a new movie about the Monkey King damn near every year over there.
China doesn't have an issue with magic on its face, their issue is with cinematic depictions of ghosts and spirits: Crimson Peak, Ghostbusters Hit by China's No Ghost Rule?

He wasn't a bad guy and was in about 4 scenes. The Bad guys were D'Onofrio and his evil looking mercenaries.

I know Wong's in the movie, however the comic role the character has has been given to Baron Mordo. That role being a student-teacher and partner to Strange alongside The Ancient one. The Wong in this movie will be a minor character and will probably do what every character that actor plays which is to explain the movie science to the audience in a scene or two. He also definitely won't be a manservant of any kind (probably just be a surgeon)

You clearly didn't red what I wrote regarding the censorship. Here it is again: "China don't allow films with "Supernatural" and "mystical" elements that are presented as being "real" to screen there".

Stemming from the Communist Party's secular ideology, China's official censorship guidelines prohibit films that "promote cults or superstition." China censors have used the provision as rationale for banning or demanding cuts to films that present ghosts or supernatural beings in semi-realistic fashion (exceptions are made for stories based on Chinese mythology).

In 2006, Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was banned because of scenes involving ghosts and cannibalism (the next Pirates squeaked through after cuts were made). Crimson's entire premise — a young bride (Mia Wasikowska) who can commune with the dead seeks to learn more about the ghosts that haunt her husband's home — would seem to violate China's guidelines. But by that standard, so might next summer's Ghostbusters.

Chinese filmmakers have been known to employ inventive, if inadvertently amusing, plot devices to work around the no-ghost policy — deus ex machina as censorship dodge. Consider local horror hit The House That Never Dies, which grossed $65 million last year. Inspired by a well-known, purportedly haunted, house in the Chinese capital, the film follows a woman tormented by ghosts in her historic Beijing mansion — so far, unprecedented for modern Chinese cinemas. But then a final act reveals that all of the foregoing ghostly encounters have simply been hallucinations, because the heroine was secretly dosed with LSD. Other Chinese genre directors have used curtain-closing revelations of mental illnesses, bad dreams or hypnosis to skirt the rules.

Legendary is in the unenviable — but increasingly familiar — position of having to play wait and see what China decides. Ghostbusters director Paul Feig, meanwhile, might be writing an alternate Chinese ending where Bill Murray wakes up from a weird dream in which he was Kristen Wiig.

The movies you're referencing are pure fantasy and not set in the real/modern world and saying that they're "real".