Official DOCTOR STRANGE Thread | Multiverse fukkery incoming

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So again...

They don't want to "offend" Asian audiences by having the Ancient One, the all powerful and perceptive MASTER teaching the White Man the ways of mysticism and magic...

But it's cool to DEFINITELY include an Asian character as his butler?

:mindblown:
They just on that bullshyt. No one would've had a problem with an asian playing the Ancient One just like no one would've been upset about an asian playing the Mandarin, expect for too liberal white folks.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
They just on that bullshyt. No one would've had a problem with an asian playing the Ancient One just like no one would've been upset about an asian playing the Mandarin, expect for too liberal white folks.

I'm upset we have an asian man playing a white Hugo Strange....... I stopped watching Gotham cuz of that BS:troll:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

China would of and they're now the second biggest box office market, Marvel also have a good rapport in Asia :yeshrug:

Can't even outrightly call this stuff "magic" because of them :mjpls: instead it's all "reality", "energy" and sci-fi sounding/looking shyt :martin:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
China would of and they're now the second biggest box office market, Marvel also have a good rapport in Asia :yeshrug:

Can't even outrightly call this stuff "magic" because of them :mjpls: instead it's all "reality", "energy" and sci-fi sounding/looking shyt :martin:
Get a Chinese actor to play the Ancient One. They don't have to have a Tibetan playing the role. Picking a white person shouldn't be the default casting answer.

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
Iont like critiquing artists because I can't draw for shyt but I just don't like his style.

new-x-men-book-1-digest-cover-review-grant-morrison-frank-quitely-yu-van-sciver.jpg

Why everybody got their lips pursed, Frank?!
Why is everyone doing blue steel?

FrankyFourFingers

Raised in Ruins
Daps
Reppin
CA
me neither but we don't need Mr dress up to come into the MCU and turn strange into another depp look at me performance
:manny:

I like some depp performances

I feel you though

Not a knock on cumberbatch either. Dude can act from what ive seen

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Get a Chinese actor to play the Ancient One. They don't have to have a Tibetan playing the role. Picking a white person shouldn't be the default casting answer.

Who's to say they just didnt have an open casting and the best person for the job won out?:francis:

Yea lets say maybe they should've had an asian for the role. But lets name them, who are the top 10 Asian actors in Hollywood right now?

What you saing John Cho or Ian Anthony Dale should've played him?

Maybe if he wasnt so old this nicca could've been up for the part.

94b4f5c4e0581d29d24a14c0cb7da9e5.jpg

I'll wait?

While this is being compiled, what if it just came down to, they didnt get quality asians out there and just decided not to settle. Maybe the good ones didnt even attempt to try to get in this movie?

Not trynna defend Marvel but at the same time this is more of a Hollywood problem than Marvel, like who really is out there? Should they just say "fukk it" and call Jackie Chan or Jet Li?:ld:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who's to say they just didnt have an open casting and the best person for the job won out?:francis:

Yea lets say maybe they should've had an asian for the role. But lets name them, who are the top 10 Asian actors in Hollywood right now?

What you saing John Cho or Ian Anthony Dale should've played him?

Maybe if he wasnt so old this nicca could've been up for the part.

94b4f5c4e0581d29d24a14c0cb7da9e5.jpg

I'll wait?

While this is being compiled, what if it just came down to, they didnt get quality asians out there and just decided not to settle. Maybe the good ones didnt even attempt to try to get in this movie?

Not trynna defend Marvel but at the same time this is more of a Hollywood problem than Marvel, like who really is out there? Should they just say "fukk it" and call Jackie Chan or Jet Li?:ld:
They could've gotten an asian female if thats the route they wanted to go. I'm not well versed in asian actors to know them by name (you hardly see them in mainstream media) but I'm more than positive they could've found an asian to play the role either in the states or from another country. White folks arent the only actors around.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
They could've gotten an asian female if thats the route they wanted to go. I'm not well versed in asian actors to know them by name (you hardly see them in mainstream media) but I'm more than positive they could've found an asian to play the role either in the states or from another country. White folks arent the only actors around.

I agree..... but I'm sure an open call for casting went out and they probably picked what they got. If she was the best actor from the bunch then so be it. But dont see the point of getting an Asian with the acting skills or Raekwon the Chef off the strength or being asain:troll:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree..... but I'm sure an open call for casting went out and they probably picked what they got. If she was the best actor from the bunch then so be it. But dont see the point of getting an Asian with the acting skills or Raekwon the Chef off the strength or being asain:troll:
The reason I gathered for their choice was because if they got an Tibet actor if would be banned in China.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Tilda Swinton Says She Is Not Playing An Asian Character In Dr. Strange
kvdwkEp.jpg

Before Marvel dropped the first teaser trailer for Doctor Strange, the film was praised not only for the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch as the titular neurosurgeon, but also for the re-characterization of the Ancient One, the powerful sorcerer who takes the superhero under his wing to teach him the mystic arts.

In fact, that male character would be played by a woman — Tilda Swinton.

However, the Ancient One is originally a Tibetan-born male and appears to be another instance of Hollywood's cultural appropriation of Asian characters.

Yet Swinton — who was well aware of the backlash, and acknowledged it — hopes to reassure Marvel fans. "Well, it's not actually an Asian character — that's what I need to tell you about it," she told The Hollywood Reporter at a Thursday night screening of A Bigger Splash at New York City's Museum of Modern Art. "I wasn't asked to play an Asian character, you can be very well assured of that."

She added with a smile, "You just have to wait and see, because it's not an Asian character."

Might the writers truly have a justified reason for re-characterizing the Ancient One away from the character's original Tibetan roots? Maybe there's more that meets the eye. We'll have to wait and see until Nov. 4.

Tilda Swinton Responds to 'Doctor Strange' Asian Whitewashing Controversy

giphy.gif