Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I’m sorry but that quote from JR is pure bs and :duck:. Owen post Screwjob was basically a rudderless midcarder from the Black Hart stuff, to the Nation, tagging with Jarrett, and then Russo burying him with that Blue Blazer 2.0 gimmick after rejecting the love triangle angle with Debra and Jarrett. Obviously having heat with Austin didn’t help, but Owen’s career pretty much peaked in WWF in 97 and he wasn’t ever going to get another massive push for a myriad of reasons.

I disagree that he had "peaked".

We don't know what the hell could've happened with Owen.

A character change could've brought about a new beginning.

Owen was well liked by his peers (outside of Austin post Summerslam), an upstanding guy, and a 2nd generation guy who could've credibly held any title (outside of the world title).

HBK had no desire to work a program with Owen after the screwjob, so no way he was dropping the strap even if would’ve been a shallow “good PR” move by the WWF. Owen should’ve left after the screwjob, he was never going to be solid standing with the company because he was Bret Hart’s brother.

He tried.

The whole family tried to leave after the MSJ, but Vince refused to release Owen.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
I disagree that he had "peaked".

We don't know what the hell could've happened with Owen.

A character change could've brought about a new beginning.

Owen was well liked by his peers (outside of Austin post Summerslam), an upstanding guy, and a 2nd generation guy who could've credibly held any title (outside of the world title).

He tried.

The whole family tried to leave after the MSJ, but Vince refused to release Owen.

That’s not totally accurate I read recently. I believe I read Owen and Bret actually had a bit of an argument over that. Bret wanted Owen to leave, but Owen was hesitant to leave as he liked working there and he had years left on his deal. In fact, WWE upped his pay after the screwjob to convince him to stick around. Owen alluded to it this rare interview:

When I mean peaked, I mean in terms of position on the card, from 93-97 Owen was ranged from upper mid carder, occasional main eventer, or mid carder. Post-screwjob, he was a directionless mid carder stuck in the mud career wise. It was clear Owen was pushed down the card for being Bret Har’s brother imo. The fact that Russo had him as the Blue Blazer was clear that Owen wasn’t seen favorably in the company anymore.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
That’s not totally accurate I read recently. I believe I read Owen and Bret actually had a bit of an argument over that. Bret wanted Owen to leave, but Owen was hesitant to leave as he liked working there and he had years left on his deal. In fact, WWE upped his pay after the screwjob to convince him to stick around. Owen alluded to it this rare interview:

When I mean peaked, I mean in terms of position on the card, from 93-97 Owen was ranged from upper mid carder, occasional main eventer, or mid carder. Post-screwjob, he was a directionless mid carder stuck in the mud career wise. It was clear Owen was pushed down the card for being Bret Har’s brother imo. The fact that Russo had him as the Blue Blazer was clear that Owen wasn’t seen favorably in the company anymore.

I agree with your take but he wouldnt have stayed in that position. They would have either rewarded him for dealing with their carny pettiness as being a team player or would have deavored him. He wasnt going to be a joke for very long

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
I agree with your take but he wouldnt have stayed in that position. They would have either rewarded him for dealing with their carny pettiness as being a team player or would have deavored him. He wasnt going to be a joke for very long

Maybe, being Rock’s friend would’ve given him a chance for a feud in 1999-2000. It’s just sick and pathetic that Owen had to be punished because he was a being a family man and didn’t want to do a stupid Russo Jerry Springer type angle :smh:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Their shyt is so pathetic. Cornette is more pathetic than Russo and I can't believe people give him any attention. Dude is 60 and acting like a 14 year old desperate for attention 24/7. Just screaming any contrarian bullshyt hoping it will get him some clicks and views.

Cornette has spent the past 20 years making a living bytching about people exposing the business while exposing it in detail more than any of the people he complains about. :mjlol:
:pachaha:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
HBK had no desire to work a program with Owen after the screwjob, so no way he was dropping the strap even if would’ve been a shallow “good PR” move by the WWF. Owen should’ve left after the screwjob, he was never going to be solid standing with the company because he was Bret Hart’s brother.
He tried to leave but Vince wouldn't let him. Bulldog bought out his contract and they weren't going to do shyt with Neidhart and only reason he was brought back was for the Hart Foundation stable. Vince saw some potential in Owen and probably thought if Owen left too then the Hart Foundation would reform in WCW.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Owen asked for his release after the Screwjob, both Bret and Martha confirmed that, Vince wouldn't let him go. Bret said he should stay if they are gonna sue him otherwise, they did up his pay after to keep shyt sweet though.