Official "Dark Side Of The Ring" Discussion Thread

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

I’m sorry but that quote from JR is pure bs and :duck:. Owen post Screwjob was basically a rudderless midcarder from the Black Hart stuff, to the Nation, tagging with Jarrett, and then Russo burying him with that Blue Blazer 2.0 gimmick after rejecting the love triangle angle with Debra and Jarrett. Obviously having heat with Austin didn’t help, but Owen’s career pretty much peaked in WWF in 97 and he wasn’t ever going to get another massive push for a myriad of reasons.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Yeah Owen was floundering even before the screwjob. The same night Austin came back and ran right through him despite being clearly out of shape and not really ready to return AND the obvious plan that he was going to the main event anyway, and Rock was getting the secondary heel role, so even if Bret went out in a better way, Owen I don't think was going to be doing much of anything in the aftermath anyway.

But in that immediate aftermath, it's crazy they didn't hot shot the title on to him or do SOMETHING with him. I'm talking like...a 2-3 week reign. You still could have done Austin winning the Rumble and winning at WM, still done Taker vs HBK at the Rumble, still transitioned to HHH vs Owen. Just have Owen win the title in that Raw match and drop it a week or two later with HHH interference. Would have been a great moment for fans, for Owen, for the Hart family, maybe could have thawed the ice with Bret a little sooner. Wouldn't have interfered with plans at all.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Yeah Owen was floundering even before the screwjob. The same night Austin came back and ran right through him despite being clearly out of shape and not really ready to return AND the obvious plan that he was going to the main event anyway, and Rock was getting the secondary heel role, so even if Bret went out in a better way, Owen I don't think was going to be doing much of anything in the aftermath anyway.

But in that immediate aftermath, it's crazy they didn't hot shot the title on to him or do SOMETHING with him. I'm talking like...a 2-3 week reign. You still could have done Austin winning the Rumble and winning at WM, still done Taker vs HBK at the Rumble, still transitioned to HHH vs Owen. Just have Owen win the title in that Raw match and drop it a week or two later with HHH interference. Would have been a great moment for fans, for Owen, for the Hart family, maybe could have thawed the ice with Bret a little sooner. Wouldn't have interfered with plans at all.

HBK had no desire to work a program with Owen after the screwjob, so no way he was dropping the strap even if would’ve been a shallow “good PR” move by the WWF. Owen should’ve left after the screwjob, he was never going to be solid standing with the company because he was Bret Hart’s brother.

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
HBK had no desire to work a program with Owen after the screwjob, so no way he was dropping the strap even if would’ve been a shallow “good PR” move by the WWF. Owen should’ve left after the screwjob, he was never going to be solid standing with the company because he was Bret Hart’s brother.

Sad becuz Owen vs hbk at rumble couldve easily been a thing . the prior ppv had shamrock in the main event cutting the shyttiest promos as hbk laughs in the ring at him:mjlol:

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
tumblr_owlfbyPXTr1wo0mn6o2_1280.gifv

Legendary