Official CryptoCurrency Thread (Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum & More)

heisenburrr

Have Fun Staying Poor
Daps
One world currency will never happen with all the competition out there.

Bitcoin is the most popular crypto right now, but there are about 300 competitors out there. A legit second place WILL rise...it's not a matter of if but when

Right now, none of those 300 competitors offer radical and significant improvement upon the Bitcoin protocol.

TCP/IP had competitors but the network made a conscious and democratic decision to make it the standard for internet communication. This is how I see the bitcoin protocol, as a foundation layer upon which other protocols will be built (HTML, etc.) but will never replace Bitcoin as the foundation

无名的

Superstar
Daps
Morgan Stanley employs 60,000 people all over the world. I don't expect every banker to understand Bitcoin. Especially when most look at it from the high horse of financial education as "nothing more than a speculative investment with ridiculous volatility".

But right now, that's pretty much what it is... feel free to dispute the quoted statement, rather than making an empty counterpoint such as "high horse of financial education".

The quote I referred to came from this article http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/21/goldman-bitcoin/?utm_campaign=fb&ncid=fb I have no problem acknowledging the opinion of someone who has obviously done their homeworks and educated themselves on the whole scope of cryptocurrencies. I'd be surprised if that was the case for your banker friend.

I mean... how silly do you sound? You basically give credence to anyone who sides with what you want to believe is true.

:mindblown:

1) You don't know my friend.
2) He's not a banker.
3) It is not just his opinion. It seems to be shared among his colleagues.

You're telling me how there's corporate money into Bitcoin and we've mentioned how Wall Street is trying to get involved with ETFs, but then you dismiss Morgan Stanley as a whole for presuming there's no due diligence on the subject, while praising someone at Goldman because they agreed with you.

:camby:

A lot of your comments got me wondering as well if you truly are well informed about the issues surrounding Bitcoin. Care to explain your bubble comment? Something will rise from the ashes? Why do you expect Bitcoin to go down in flames ?

What comments? Stop speaking in generalizations. Simply because I don't have a Bitcoin avatar and don't cheerlead the concept in every possible way doesn't mean I don't get or don't support the idea. You dapped numerous posts of mine in this thread, but now I try to give you an alternative viewpoint and you don't know if I'm truly informed?

:pachaha:

What don't you get about the bubble comment? Look at the typical life cycle of a bubble chart. Bitcoin has followed that trajectory. Have you seen any sort of sustained uptrend in awhile? It's plummeting and Gox demonstrated what a bubble bursting freefall can look like. From 900 some to under 100 in a matter of weeks?

:shaq2:

When I say something better will arise from the ashes, it could be an improved Bitcoin or another currency, although all these alternative currencies are making a mockery of the concept right now. Good luck finding any sort of widespread adoption when people are pumping out coins like Coinye West.

:yeshrug:

I don't know if Bitcoin will go down in flames, but I believe the currently propped up market will eventually crumble back down to the initial cheap prices (look at Gox). If Bitcoin rebounds from that will be telling for the future of cryptocurrency.

The issues you are referring to are infrastructure problems. Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin. The protocol works. You're right, I'm not expecting the average Joe to engage in Bitcoin use right now. The average Joe wasn't using the internet in 1995 for the same reasons you are referring to : ease of access, security concerns.

When do you expect the average Joe to start using? Why would the average Joe put money into something that is backed by nothing with the possibility a hacker could steal your Bitcoins?

Comparing this to the advent of the Internet is silly. The Internet was a gigantic leap forward for mankind. Bitcoin is an improvement on a way to complete transactions and right now, it's not even being used that much for that.

This is why millions in venture capitalist money are currently working toward building this safe, trustable and easy to use infrastructure. The Winklevoss ETF trust is another huge step for mainstream use of Bitcoin.

VC money doesn't always work and millions in VC money is pennies to us. Coinbase has received something like $30 million in VC money and they can't even respond to a customer email within a month.

heisenburrr

Have Fun Staying Poor
Daps
But right now, that's pretty much what it is... feel free to dispute the quoted statement, rather than making an empty counterpoint such as "high horse of financial education".

feel free to discredit Bitcoin the currency as much as you want. the fact is, Bitcoin the protocol is so much more than a "speculative investment". That is a very shortsighted way to look at it. I'm asking you to separate the currency from the technology. A technology that cannot be uninvented and is there to stay.

I mean... how silly do you sound? You basically give credence to anyone who sides with what you want to believe is true.

:mindblown:

1) You don't know my friend.
2) He's not a banker.
3) It is not just his opinion. It seems to be shared among his colleagues.

You're telling me how there's corporate money into Bitcoin and we've mentioned how Wall Street is trying to get involved with ETFs, but then you dismiss Morgan Stanley as a whole for presuming there's no due diligence on the subject, while praising someone at Goldman because they agreed with you.

:camby:

I am confident that the higher ups at Morgan Stanley are VERY MUCH aware of the Bitcoin threat and have done their due diligence. I don't care if your friend's opinion is shared by his colleague unless they can demonstrate their understanding and prove that they have done their due dilligence on the subject. I never praised Goldman, I only pointed out that they know what they're dealing with and know this is not "fad".

From the mouth of Ben Lawsky, New York's Superintendent of Financial Services, someone who gets criticized a lot for wanting to put regulations around Bitcoin, but ultimately has done his homeworks on the matter : "Hard to put the genie back in the bottle."

What comments? Stop speaking in generalizations. Simply because I don't have a Bitcoin avatar and don't cheerlead the concept in every possible way doesn't mean I don't get or don't support the idea. You dapped numerous posts of mine in this thread, but now I try to give you an alternative viewpoint and you don't know if I'm truly informed?

Comments that you repeated in this very post.

:pachaha:

What don't you get about the bubble comment? Look at the typical life cycle of a bubble chart. Bitcoin has followed that trajectory. Have you seen any sort of sustained uptrend in awhile? It's plummeting and Gox demonstrated what a bubble bursting freefall can look like. From 900 some to under 100 in a matter of weeks?

Look at the Bitcoin 3 year chart. That looks like sustained uptrend to me. And this is where I can point out your lack of understanding about the whole thing. The Gox situation is an isolated event that in NO WAY reflects a "bubble bursting freefall". The Gox price is entirely screwed by the fact that people are unable to get fiat or BTC out. Because of that, and because people believe they are insolvent. They are massively liquidating their BTC assets and causing the price to go down. A bubble bursts because people realize what they're holding has no value. Not the case here.

:shaq2:

I don't know if Bitcoin will go down in flames, but I believe the currently propped up market will eventually crumble back down to the initial cheap prices (look at Gox). If Bitcoin rebounds from that will be telling for the future of cryptocurrency.

Your reasoning here is again flawed by your misunderstanding of the Gox situation. This has been arguably the worst historical month for Bitcoin in terms of bad news are negative media coverage. Meanwhile the price at the other most respected exchanges has mostly stayed above 600$. I think this is already very telling.

When do you expect the average Joe to start using? Why would the average Joe put money into something that is backed by nothing with the possibility a hacker could steal your Bitcoins?

You do not seem to realise that Bitcoin is very much still in infancy. The "backed by nothing" comment is another sign of ignorant drivel. Bitcoin is backed by the network, the biggest in the world at that. Bitcoin is backed by an evergrowing pool of users who trust it as a mean of exchanging value, much like other traditional currencies. There is a possibility that a hacker could steal your USD as well. That doesn't stop people from using it. Trusted and reputable exchanges will come, secure and trusted cold storage or online wallets will come. Give it time

Comparing this to the advent of the Internet is silly. The Internet was a gigantic leap forward for mankind. Bitcoin is an improvement on a way to complete transactions and right now, it's not even being used that much for that.

Bitcoin is a GIGANTIC leap forward. For the first time in history we have the possibility to send value internationally to another person without the use of a trusted 3rd party. It is a totally disruptive technology that has the potential to change the banking system model as we know it. The technology that supports Bitcoin has an unlimited scope of applications that are not limited to transmission of value, much like the Internet is not limited to transmission of messages (email). DECENTRALIZATION of operations is what I'm talking about here, for the first time ever this is possible. Programmable money, smart contracts, micro-transactions. I appreciate your enthusiasm for cryptocurrencies but I feel your view is shortsighted and I encourage you to furthermore educate yourself on the matter.

VC money doesn't always work and millions in VC money is pennies to us. Coinbase has received something like $30 million in VC money and they can't even respond to a customer email within a month.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Right now, none of those 300 competitors offer radical and significant improvement upon the Bitcoin protocol.

TCP/IP had competitors but the network made a conscious and democratic decision to make it the standard for internet communication. This is how I see the bitcoin protocol, as a foundation layer upon which other protocols will be built (HTML, etc.) but will never replace Bitcoin as the foundation
It will be against Bitcoin's best interest to try to make something closed/standard that was open source from the start

heisenburrr

Have Fun Staying Poor
Daps
It will be against Bitcoin's best interest to try to make something closed/standard that was open source from the start

My point is.

I project that Bitcoin will be the standard decentralized cryptographic protocol for exchange of value.

Others, for example, Ethereum, can build onto the Bitcoin protocol to allow different for different decentralized applications.

In that sense, you are right that Bitcoin most likely won't be the only cryptocurrency to thrive. My opinion is that whatever else comes along will not replace Bitcoin as the defacto crypto for exchange of value

heisenburrr

Have Fun Staying Poor
Daps
20,999,999.999999999496 fractions most likely in circulation when all available

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
yep but why would you keep one if someone gives your more value for it

listen i understand that there is money to be made on it. I wish the liquidity was better.

hell I hope that etf comes out so I can short it.

in the end if your hard drive with bitcoins gets destroyed they're gone forever ( or whatever the case may be). they're gone from the circulation. I'm just saying they need to fix that aspect of it.

heisenburrr

Have Fun Staying Poor
Daps
listen i understand that there is money to be made on it. I wish the liquidity was better.

hell I hope that etf comes out so I can short it.

in the end if your hard drive with bitcoins gets destroyed they're gone forever ( or whatever the case may be) they're gone from the circulation. I'm just saying they need to fix that aspect of it.

the aspect that they are gone from the circulation or that Bitcoins can be lost and destroyed ?

Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.- Satoshi

the liquidity will get better when the infrastructure around Bitcoin gets better and healthier. I expect that to happen within 2 years.

are you trying to imply that all bitcoins will be lost ?

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
the aspect that they are gone from the circulation or that Bitcoins can be lost and destroyed ?

the liquidity will get better when the infrastructure around Bitcoin gets better and healthier. I expect that to happen within 2 years.

are you trying to imply that all bitcoins will be lost ?

certainly supply and demand will set in if people still value it in two years.

and the second point of your post....yes.