Official Coming 2 America Thread

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
yeah its just an good movie with corny/cringe moments while the og is a flawless classic.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I was firmly ready to come in here and hate but this was a very well put together movies with great callbacks and some legit laughs. I was so much expecting something similar to House Party Tonight’s The Night or some other update that wasn’t needed, and glad I was very wrong. Very enjoyable movie. Only nitpicking complaint I have (which is something I have with a lot of current movies) is what I can only describe as “forced feminism”. Like damn, we know women are strong and can do whatever they want, it just comes across as pretentious as hell when it’s just randomly thrown in like that.

Daps
So far that musical scene towards the beginning has the been the only scene that made me cringe . Please tell me I’m not the only one. Some of the other scenes have been questionable but it’s been ok despite that

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
We need to make having funerals before older/sick people die a thing :russ:

I ended up watching this again with some fam and it's honestly a pretty good movie. My main issues were the two musical performance got a lil corny at parts and Jermaine Fowler probably wasn't the best choice as the new prince but he did okay, didn't ruin it.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Felt like I just watched a disney Channel movie.

They did a great job with the pageantry, costumes and the showman aspects. It was cool to watch to that end alone. Gave me the vibes of watching Wakanda in Black Panther.

The movie was just all in all not funny. There has got to be a cac in the writing room to belive the humor could be carried just by Leslie Jones being loud and ratchet. The culture shock elements were the basis of a lot of humor in the first one, here they spend pretty much no time on Zamunda itself and its just a springboard to the feminist messaging. They missed a opportunity to show more of Zamunda as a country the way the first one toured New York.

Huge disappointment overall

The first movie was written by 2 white SNL writers...and directed by John Landis

c2daj

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Providence, RI
The first movie was written by 2 white SNL writers...and directed by John Landis
If anything Kenya Barris (the black guy) might've been the problem :mjpls:. He has a lot of stuff out right now, but his writing is very overrated and corny. They only got him because he's the biggest "blackish" writer out now.

I enjoyed the movie. Especially after viewing it a second time, but there was so much potential for it to be better. Movie needed at least 20 more minutes to further character development, build on the romance angle, focus more on the eldest daughter, give more of a glimpse of general izzi's kingdom, a bit more time in "America" (it's in the title ffs lol) etc...

I almost think they need to do another movie to redeem themselves or at least a spin-off series based on Zamunda or Nextdooria. They have to end things better :jbhmm:

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Felt like I just watched a disney Channel movie.

They did a great job with the pageantry, costumes and the showman aspects. It was cool to watch to that end alone. Gave me the vibes of watching Wakanda in Black Panther.

The movie was just all in all not funny. There has got to be a cac in the writing room to belive the humor could be carried just by Leslie Jones being loud and ratchet. The culture shock elements were the basis of a lot of humor in the first one, here they spend pretty much no time on Zamunda itself and its just a springboard to the feminist messaging. They missed a opportunity to show more of Zamunda as a country the way the first one toured New York.

Huge disappointment overall

If I'm not mistaken, two CAC SNL Writers wrote Coming to America and Kenya Barris wrote Coming 2 America :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

:mjcry:

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Wesley is a funny dude.. i wish he had done more comedies.
Trying to think what other comedies did he do.
Major League
White Men Can't Jump low key was funny at points
Demolition Man had some funny parts too.
To Wong Foo :dame:

Dude should focus on doing more comedies instead of trying to go the stevn seagal route and release endless b movie martial arts action films

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I personally think most people saying "I wanted to like it, but" are lying and went in to eviscerate the movie from jump:manny:
i don't, i feel a lot of people went in ready to judge the movie on its own merits given the OG is a classic, 30+ years old, rated R vs PG-13 - it makes you have to go into the movie with an open mind, but as a standalone movie, it's below average, and as a sequel to one of the GOAT black movies, it's trash

:yeshrug: