Official Coming 2 America Thread

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
The movie was good. The only real complaint people have is that it's not the OG, which isn't really fair. The first is a masterpiece (which was critically panned, btw). This one is just a fun bit of fan service. On it's own merit, I enjoyed this movie.
The first one was a comedic masterpiece. This was a family movie. I never got the feeling that the movies were in competition with each other like so many other movies.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Wesley was a beast. I actually think the girl who was the barber was really good as well. Jermaine held his own and Leslie did what she was supposed to do.
Tracy Morgan was funny as well. To each its own when it comes to reviews in here.This was a bucket list movie for Eddie&Arsenio . Probably type of movie u have to watch again to get a true assessment of. First time watching this you are automatically looking for nostalgia .

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Eddie Murphy wit a movie full of nubian queens , seems like the biggest joke of all when he hugged up to sum white cave bytch at home :mjlol::francis:
Him and Jamie are old school. PAWG in slience but when it's main screen time, showcase the sistas. I wonder if Rotimi and the daughter will marry each other.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Tracy Morgan was funny as well. To each its own when it comes to reviews in here.This was a bucket list movie for Eddie&Arsenio . Probably type of movie u have to watch again to get a true assessment of. First time watching this you are automatically looking for nostalgia .
Agreed. People coming in here, like, oh shyt, this gonna be the GOAT, the GOAT didn't know it was going to be the GOAT. Honestly, this was better than all of the Fridays after OG Friday. I would say this is on Rush Hour 2 level. I'll likely watch it again and soon.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Agreed. People coming in here, like, oh shyt, this gonna be the GOAT, the GOAT didn't know it was going to be the GOAT. Honestly, this was better than all of the Fridays after OG Friday. I would say this is on Rush Hour 2 level. I'll likely watch it again and soon.
Honestly only person whose absence u truly felt was Akeems mom. Eddie also had his real life daughter so he couldn't really been wild with some of shyt he was saying. First movie was Eddie as a bachelor,2nd was a family man so it had to be growth.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I just finished it

THE GOOD

-Eddie Murphy & Arsenio Hall are comedy Gold and need to do at least one more film together for the culture. Every scene they were in together was like comedy Manna from heaven. I was in STITCHES at Arsenio’s facial expressions

-The cast was almost perfect. This was the FIRST movie i’ve ever enjoyed Leslie Jones in. She was funny as hell. Even Tracy Morgan, who i’ve never found funny, got a chuckle out of me.

-Wesley Snipes was perfect. He’s the last of the old school black hollywood (from that late 80’s era) who go unheralded, but dude can act in ANYTHING. He can do drama, comedy, whatever and be note perfect

-All the returning cast and the cameos were great. If you live in Atlanta this movie was made for us because EVERY celebrity they cast lives here in Ga. I had a big ass smile on my face whenever somebody popped up because it didn’t feel forced it just felt like black people having genuine fun. For some reason I kept thinking Dave Chappelle or Martin was going to pop up but that might’ve been too much to ask for

-The first flashback scene was GOLD. the way they remade that club scene and still kept Arsenio looking young was fukking hilarious

-The costumes and sets were on point, which is to be expected with Ruth Carter involved

-The sistas. Good LAWD the sistas:banderas: every black woman IN the damn film (minus Leslie) was fiiiinneeee as fukk:ohlawd: Kiki Layne would get wifed with the QUICKNESS:whew:

-Even though the Director is white, it really felt like a “Black” movie. Something made for the culture. Just like Dolemite, there was an air of authenticity about it.

THE BAD

-Not every call back to the original film worked. With Sequels, ESPECIALLY ones that take place so many years afterwards, I personally find it best to keep actual footage flashbacks to a minimum. The first bar scene flashback was funny and cool. But by the time they started flashing back to Akeem and Lisa’s romance I started getting that sense I was watching an inferior movie. The OG film is such a timeless classic I just wouldn’t have used so much footage because ultimately, you DO want the second movie to be able to stand on its own.

- There were a few lazy spots, from a writing perspective, in the middle of the film where it felt like they just fell back on trying to recreate too many moments from the OG film. Again I know its a sequel, but joke after joke doesn’t HAVE to be a retread. This is a little nitpick because it didn’t stop from me from enjoying or even laughing, but it was noticeable

- The introductory scene for Teyana Taylor was a BIT too long. Her and Jermaine Fowler didn’t need to do that Rap/Sung performance at all. It was unnecessary.

Overall i’d give the film a 7.5/10. Not a classic on par with the OG but NOT an embarrassment. There’s a LOT of heart in this film, nobody phoned it in, you could tell everyone involved really cared about the legacy of the first movie and wanted to live up to it. Eddie and Arsenio probably could have carried the film by themselves (Their THAT good) but everybody else chipped in too to make it enjoyable. I’ll definitely watch it again.

Let me just say there was no WAY this was going to be on par with the original. For that to happen they would have to have made this 10-15 years ago when you could still do an R rated film and let whatever jokes you wanted fly without the PC police coming to cancel you. This is a very “of the times” type of movie. Its really a family movie at heart. Something I could watch with my daughter in a few years time.

I’ll also say i’m VERY sure that Ryan Coogler would have made a better film, but thats neither here nor there, this is the sequel we got and its a damn good one.