Official Coli Gardening Thread..Vegetables/Fruits/Herbs/Spices..Freshest Thread Ever

Hijo de luna

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Having family and friends come over and leave with bags of my home grown food is the best feeling in the world:wow:
cEHaGsq_d.webp

o2Mdmo3_d.webp

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
been experimenting with light/water/fertilizer automation for my succulent babies using an rpi, it uses moisture sensors to deliver just the right amount of water when the soil reaches just the right amount of dryness. this was the test subject, a crassula kougaensis which went from around 2" to 10" in a month (that's an 8" level and 1" pot for scale). :wow:
4sFmSzU.jpg
WqEh95N.jpg
now with all this free time from not having to check on my succulents i can go all in with the carnivores, i've always wanted a nepenthes like this :mjlit:
st1xfge41nv91.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
Bumping for the season! 🌱

Im already late, starting trays early next week. Planting in containers bc i probably have high lead. This area used to be industrial. :francis:
raise your containers up off the ground then. Check your local State University Extension Department. They may have cheap or free soil testing kits and they'll help you read em to verify your thoughts. You may have even worse than lead, like arsenic in there.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
raise your containers up off the ground then. Check your local State University Extension Department. They may have cheap or free soil testing kits and they'll help you read em to verify your thoughts. You may have even worse than lead, like arsenic in there.
I found the local expert but hes a bit back logged and i need to at least be planning and seed starting now.

The containers Im using arent just "raised beds." Theyre closed at the bottom. I can sit them on the concrete part of the yard or on pavers. What do you think?

Also, Im planting some sunflowers bc they suck up lead. You just have to dig the plant up at the end of the season.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I found the local expert but hes a bit back logged and i need to at least be planning and seed starting now.

The containers Im using arent just "raised beds." Theyre closed at the bottom. I can sit them on the concrete part of the yard or on pavers. What do you think?

Also, Im planting some sunflowers bc they suck up lead. You just have to dig the plant up at the end of the season.

yeah i'd recommend pavers maybe like 6 or 12 depending on the entire weight and size of the beds.

The thing about hyperaccumulation and the larger thoughts of bioremediation is, what are you going to do with it once it accumulates? in my research about the things I have found it may be better to chelate the lead inside the soil, making it immobile and extremely difficult to transport unless volatilized. That's a lil bit more complex. The sunflowers will be good but don't plan on doing anything with them but putting them in the trash, otherwise that lead will go right back into your soils.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
yeah i'd recommend pavers maybe like 6 or 12 depending on the entire weight and size of the beds.

The thing about hyperaccumulation and the larger thoughts of bioremediation is, what are you going to do with it once it accumulates? in my research about the things I have found it may be better to chelate the lead inside the soil, making it immobile and extremely difficult to transport unless volatilized. That's a lil bit more complex. The sunflowers will be good but don't plan on doing anything with them but putting them in the trash, otherwise that lead will go right back into your soils.

Something like this?

Using Biochar to Treat Lead-Contaminated Soils

Biochar is charcoal produced for mixing into soil, it is a porous and carbon-rich solid material made by heating wood, agricultural and forestry waste or other plant material in an oxygen-deprived atmosphere.
Through the process by which it is produced, biochar has a highly porous structure and a very large total surface area, which allows it to interact with minerals, other soil organic matter, and soil biota. This structure allows it to effectively adsorb heavy metals such as lead from the soil.
Additionally, biochar also contains many hydroxyl, carboxyl, and other functional groups that are favourable for forming complexes with heavy-metal ions, such as lead (II) cations (Pb2+), which at low pH levels are highly soluble and readily available for plant uptake, as mentioned earlier. When the lead is bound up in complexes, it becomes unavailable to plants. The oxygen-containing functional groups and carboxyl groups of biochar are the main mechanism by which these complexes are formed.
Biochar is a cheap and effective remediation material. It reduces the risk of contaminants entering the food chain by binding or precipitating them in the soil. It can be used to immobilize heavy metals and organic pollutants in soil through adsorption, as well as my means of its ample organic and active functional groups, its inclusion of inorganic minerals, the microporous structure with its associated high surface area, as well as a high pH, cation exchange capacity (CEC), and carbon content.

And yes, i intend to dispose of the sunflowers. I just want something pretty to look at in the meantime.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Something like this?

Using Biochar to Treat Lead-Contaminated Soils

And yes, i intend to dispose of the sunflowers. I just want something pretty to look at in the meantime.

yeha but something like that is a long term solution. I'd definitely recommend sunflowers, and if you can swing em, lantanas, if you are far enough south, or out in southern cali/az/nm. They will get from like a 2.5in pot to about 4ft wide in one season and will bring hummingbirds, butterflies, all sorts of bees and delight to your yard and its poisonous so you don't have to worry about the lead. It'll grow just about anywhere and you barely have to take care of it.

Truly if you want to have a lot of produce plant a lot of flowers. Bees and other pollinating bugs will hope from flower to flower to maek good food for you!

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
yeha but something like that is a long term solution. I'd definitely recommend sunflowers, and if you can swing em, lantanas, if you are far enough south, or out in southern cali/az/nm. They will get from like a 2.5in pot to about 4ft wide in one season and will bring hummingbirds, butterflies, all sorts of bees and delight to your yard and its poisonous so you don't have to worry about the lead. It'll grow just about anywhere and you barely have to take care of it.

Truly if you want to have a lot of produce plant a lot of flowers. Bees and other pollinating bugs will hope from flower to flower to maek good food for you!

:beli:I know, my backyard is teeming with life. Bees, wasps, lacewings, ants, worms, mosquitoes, possums, sometimes even mushrooms. Its like the damn garden of eden back there, but with weeds. :pachaha:

But some of those 'weeds' are very pretty, like the morning glories (which also accumulate lead from what I'm reading), so we keeping those. :lolbron:

:patrice: I think i might could manage a few lantanas. Im in zone 7b but my microclimate is much hotter and gets amazing (read: scorching) sun throughout the spring, summer, even fall. My devices often tell me they're too hot to function and i only been out there a few minutes. :mjlol: So lantanas of the mozelle variety- freakishly, also a family name- might be perfect. It looks like theyre sold out everywhere so I'll have to depend on etsy. Is that sketchy? The seller seems well regarded.

We have some sedum(s?) in the front, do you think lantanas would do well in those conditions? It be hot and dry as hell out there, no mulch, just naked soil burning under the sun. :picard: I should probably fix that, it wasnt my work. :hubie:

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:beli:I know, my backyard is teeming with life. Bees, wasps, lacewings, ants, worms, mosquitoes, possums, sometimes even mushrooms. Its like the damn garden of eden back there, but with weeds. :pachaha:

But some of those 'weeds' are very pretty, like the morning glories (which also accumulate lead from what I'm reading), so we keeping those. :lolbron:

:patrice: I think i might could manage a few lantanas. Im in zone 7b but my microclimate is much hotter and gets amazing (read: scorching) sun throughout the spring, summer, even fall. My devices often tell me they're too hot to function and i only been out there a few minutes. :mjlol: So lantanas of the mozelle variety- freakishly, also a family name- might be perfect. It looks like theyre sold out everywhere so I'll have to depend on etsy. Is that sketchy? The seller seems well regarded.

We have some sedum(s?) in the front, do you think lantanas would do well in those conditions? It be hot and dry as hell out there, no mulch, just naked soil burning under the sun. :picard: I should probably fix that, it wasnt my work. :hubie:
my b i didnt mean to be patronizing.

yeah lantanas will work and yeah sedums are built for that, don't move em they love it like that. UDC has a lot of sedum as cover for their green rooftops. They love that heat and the passive, basically, atmospheric water. I've bought different plants off of the internet, they are evading some like USDA concerns, possibly, but with the lantanas I wouldnt be concerned about it spreading diseases to other plants.
You've basically got to get it now that your name is on it :ufdup:

I unfortunately live with too many deer to handle anything but poisonous plants because I'll be damned to water everyday, although it is relaxing. We have a baby on the way and I think that I'll probably be watering more to give the kid an excuse to run around and for my wife and I to be chilling in the house lmao. I say all that to say that we are moving towards planting more perennial plants, especially ones that are native. We are very lucky to live near a perennial nursery that specializes in plants native to our area and we've spent a bunch of money in there to get our yard popping. I'd recommend these to you in addition to your front yard if you've got space, as we live in a 7b-8a transition situation, Lemongrass, bluebeard, butterfly bush, gladiolus, iris, camelia, andromeda, black eyed susan. Those are basically all the plants in the front yard of our house, save for the lantanas, hyacinths, and daffodils, the latter two is too late to plant for this year. I'm trying to plant more things to attract the hummingbirds because damn it is amazing to see them and last year I was really blessed to witness someone seeing them for the first time as an adult. How divine! :ohlawd: