Official Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues Thread

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Just watched the first season, Daniel is a whole bytch for that shyt. When kids are involved you have to politely back off. Who cares what that lil kid wanted as a man who has kids himself Daniel should’ve respectively told the boy that he can’t train him.

Oh and there’s also making the immigrant the bad boy and the white kid the hero
:unimpressed:
wait till you see season 2....

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I know I'm alone on this, but I cant even get mad at Robbie.

Did he know what was going to happen? No. Did he intend for it to happen? No.

But fukk all that. Dude cheated in the tournament and cheated with his girl. He had to get em like he wanted to get him. Cause mofo needed to be got.
hqdefault.jpg
:patrice:Par tof me agrees, but at the same time, before Miguel and Sam had a fight, Robbie was interested in her, sort of moved in on her, and then went out of his way to either paint Miguel in a bad light, and outright lied about the Medal situation when Miguel returned it. One thing I like about the show is that there aren't any all good or all bad characters, but I think Miguel's actions related to Sam have generally been more forgivable and understandable than Robbie's.

Tory's a better girlfriend anyways. :hubie: Sam immediately wanted to change Miguel as soon as she knew he was Cobra Kai. She saw the benefits to his self-esteem, and he said how good Cobra Kai was for his life, and as soon as her dad said one bad word about them, she started dropping hints at him to change dojos. She didn't stick up for him to her family when he asked to have dinner, and when he'd seen her with Robbie having dinner with her family, he had every right to be pissed off. She showed up to the beach party with Robbie, laughing and giggling, and yeah, he acted like a jerk but he was a drunk and hormonal teenager.
:manny:

Miguel >>> Robbie

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
:russ: They tried to make Cobra Kai look bad but outside of maybe Hawk all them kids would have been straight if Daniel's bytch ass and that psycho Kreese didn't get involved. Johnny was teaching them kids real life shyt.
I definitely :cape: for this show, but I think the writers do a pretty good job of not painting either side out to be perfect. They show Cobrs Kai as having its flaws with the no mercy thing, but I think they also show Miyagi-Do out to be too pacifist sometimes. In reality both crew could learn from each other.

To whatever extent they make Cobra Kai out to be the bad guys, it usually makes sure to show us that it's due to some of the teachings, and not due to character flaws. I mean even Hawk (who is the "most bad" of the Cobra Kai kids) went from being bullied to being a big bully himself...:jbhmm:but on some real life shyt, most bullies are very insecure and are often victims of bullying and abuse themselves. So the Hawk's character arc is actually kind of true to life.

This show is such a dope blend of being cheesy and goofy, but also being nuanced. :banderas:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
:patrice:Par tof me agrees, but at the same time, before Miguel and Sam had a fight, Robbie was interested in her, sort of moved in on her, and then went out of his way to either paint Miguel in a bad light, and outright lied about the Medal situation when Miguel returned it. One thing I like about the show is that there aren't any all good or all bad characters, but I think Miguel's actions related to Sam have generally been more forgivable and understandable than Robbie's.

Tory's a better girlfriend anyways. :hubie: Sam immediately wanted to change Miguel as soon as she knew he was Cobra Kai. She saw the benefits to his self-esteem, and he said how good Cobra Kai was for his life, and as soon as her dad said one bad word about them, she started dropping hints at him to change dojos. She didn't stick up for him to her family when he asked to have dinner, and when he'd seen her with Robbie having dinner with her family, he had every right to be pissed off. She showed up to the beach party with Robbie, laughing and giggling, and yeah, he acted like a jerk but he was a drunk and hormonal teenager.
:manny:

Miguel >>> Robbie
I understand all of that. And I do agree Miguel is a better character/actor. However, I'm talking about his response. We gotta remember that Robbie is the actual street dude. He was just trying to give the good guy and school thing a try.

First day of school and breh got him laid out waiting for a ref to count 1,2,3 with the entire student body going "ohhhhh" with camera phones in hand.

Nah his response was totally within character. Fukk a sorry, fukk a its all good, etc etc. This shyt is ending with me whooping yo ass. Just was too close to the railing.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Just watched the first season, Daniel is a whole bytch for that shyt. When kids are involved you have to politely back off. Who cares what that lil kid wanted as a man who has kids himself Daniel should’ve respectively told the boy that he can’t train him.

Oh and there’s also making the immigrant the bad boy and the white kid the hero
:unimpressed:
Daniel absolutely comes off petty in the first season. I like how they flipped the roles. Johnny becomes the underdog you're rooting for after he peaked in high school and crashed and burned. Daniel kept having win after win, and despite being wealthy, with a beautiful wife, family, house, and cars, he can't help but be a dikk to a blue collar working man trying to get his own life together, and help out kids by running an honest small business. Daniel was even petty enough to fukk over other small business owners just to try and drive his high school rival out of business. :pacspit:
Also about the bolded, I feel like Robbie comes across as an a$$hole and Miguel comes off as pretty honorable. :yeshrug: He showed mercy to Robbie, even after Robbie borderline moved in on his girl, and Miguel helps keep Johnny in check and on the righteous path to becoming a better person. He's also the one Cobra Kai member that consistently gives Kreese the :mjtf:and understands that he's a pathological liar and scumbag. Most of his mistakes can be chalked up to him being a nerdy teenager that suddenly has a dose of power, while making mistakes under the influence.

Robbie had a shytty childhood but he and Daniel both continue to have basically an inappropriate relationship, and Johnny is man enough to swallow his pride on that. :mjcry:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I understand all of that. And I do agree Miguel is a better character/actor. However, I'm talking about his response. We gotta remember that Robbie is the actual street dude. He was just trying to give the good guy and school thing a try.

First day of school and breh got him laid out waiting for a ref to count 1,2,3 with the entire student body going "ohhhhh" with camera phones in hand.

Nah his response was totally within character. Fukk a sorry, fukk a its all good, etc etc. This shyt is ending with me whooping yo ass. Just was too close to the railing.
Good point. Who started the fight at school? I forgot. Definitely his response was in character. And realistic. It's a fight. Gotta protect yourself at all times.

Most of my problems with Robbie actually stem from the stuff leading up to the big fight at school. I wasn't that mad at how that situation played out. I just thought it was tragic for everyone involved. :mjcry:

Also, Sam was mad insensitive for getting black-out drunk the day Robbie's mom decides to check into rehab for drinking and pill-popping. :mjlol: She's maybe the biggest dirtbag on the entire show.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This show >>>> the movies. I can’t even front.
Absolutely. Karate Kid 2 was mad average, and Daniel is a fukking unbearable whiny bytch in Karate Kid 3. The thing that saves season 3 is the main villain Terry Silver. The fact that a middle-aged multi-millionaire would take lots of important time out of his hectic and busy life running a corporation (at his training partner Kreese's request) just to troll and torment a teenage college kid (Daniel) for beating Johnny back in the 1st movie is downright hilarious. :mjlol:

I hope Silver comes back for season 3. He's easily one of the most over-the-top and ridiculous movie villains of the 80's Not only that, but the actor that plays him is the most legit real-life martial artist out of everyone that's ever been on the show.

What @Tanahashi Coates said
VeneratedThatHusky-small.gif

He's gotta come back

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Just finished season 1. Show is cool even tho it overplays the nostalgia hand and gets corny at times.

I want to check out season 2 but after watching the trailer I’m not sure im gonna like where it’s going.

Making Cobra Kai evil meatheads isn’t nuanced enough for stories in this age. Also Kreese coming back to take over the dojo had me like :comeon:
Do you really think they made Cobra Kai evil meatheads in season 1?

spoilers for season 1.
In the All valley tournament, Hawk did a dikk move by attacking his opponent when his back was turned, and Miguel attacked Robbie's hurt shoulder. But that's what they'd been taught. It was an unintended consequence of Johnny teaching what was taught to him. It was clear Johnny wasn't happy about it, and realized he had made some mistakes. Nothing they did was over-the-top. Hawk becoming power-hungry is a typical cycle for people that were bullied, because most bullies used to be victims themselves.

Most of Miguel's a$$hole actions in season 1 can be explained by him being too drunk, as well as Sam basically being a bytch. In season 1 I think Daniel is the one that comes off as a sore-winner and an a$$hole. Not Cobra Kai. Johnny and Cobra Kai are sympathetic figured, not without their flaws, but I think their hands are just as clean if not better than Daniel and Miyagi-Do in season 1. If the show didn't have any nuanced writing, I don't even see how I could hold those opinions.

Does it lean on nostalgia? Yes. But rarely for its own sake, or just to get a cheap pop from the audience. For example, when Miguel asks Johnny if he wants him to wash the windows a certain way, and Johnny says he doesn't give a shyt...that's a nostalgia play on wax-on-wax-off. Obviously. But that's secondary to showing the difference between Johnny and Daniel. Johnny doesn't give a shyt about how to wash the windows, as long as it gets done. His style of karate is about efficiency and what works in a fight, and not about teaching a bigger lesson about 'balance', or practicing Karate in a roundabout way. So, that one line is a nostalgia-hit, but it's mostly said to show us Johnny's philosophy on Karate and life.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Bruh..

When them mfs started fighting in the hallway :wow:

I was like this is some top notch action sequence shyt :picard: Damn

Yeah, the stunt work is pretty solid. No spoilers ahead, because it'd be cool for anyone on the fence about the show to know this, but during the big set piece climax fight in season 2, they have two characters wearing totally opposite colors on the color wheel. This is great for showcasing action and letting the audience have a better view of the action. Many martial arts tournaments even make the athletes wear opposite colored gear so that it's easier for the judges to see what's going on.

Even lot of good fight choreographers wouldn't have put that much thought into choosing colors that would accentuate a fight scene.